1/48 - Curtiss P-40B Warhawk & Tomahawk Mk.II by Airfix - released - new Tomahawk Mk.II boxing in June 2024

Homebee

More likely they've been hit by Hanjin going bust, tales abound of ships being told not to dock as the cargos might be impounded. Legally I would have thought the ships and containers owned by Hanjin would be a target for receivers, the cargo itself must belong to the owners paying for it to be transported. However Japanese law and even maritime law might be different (or I could just be totally wrong!) there is also the small fact that any goods in transit, while belonging to its owner, is effectively under care of the transport firm. So Airfix as an example own 20,000 P40's, along with 20,000 Victors and 500,000 Scruggs Wonderplanes, they then place them in a Hanjin Container, on a Hanjin Ship and pay them to deliver them. Hanjin have to pay a dock to load them, more importantly they also pay someone to unload them and transport the container to Airfix's warehouse. Hanjin go bust while the ship is plodding across the Pacific, they won't have paid the dock and transport firm to complete the journey, therefore no one will undertake unloading and deliver. It could take some time to resolve. It must be frustrating for Airfix as its dead money until they can sell the kits.

On 20/09/2016 at 4:37 PM, HBBates said:

I've only seen the random mixing of "fin" and non "fin" gun barrels on the same aircraft with the Tomahawk ..and the random mix of gun barrels types on the RAF Tomahawks seem to be very common 

Hi Hume, this could be a red herring, but I've seen comments that suggest that some squadrons in North Africa actually used a mix of .303s and US-supplied .30s.  I don't know enough about the guns to know if this might be a visual indicator between them.

bob

On 07/10/2016 at 6:54 PM, John said:

Could be they'v held them back a bit to take advantage of the recent round of price increases.

J

That would seem to be true, the pre-order receipt  my mother has states the kit is £18.99.  Now on the website it's listed as £20.99...

3 hours ago, Raven Morpheus said:

That would seem to be true, the pre-order receipt  my mother has states the kit is £18.99.  Now on the website it's listed as £20.99...

I really can't believe that - they are not going to just delay things so they can charge more as they can just increase the price anytime they want to.

On 8 October 2016 at 7:14 AM, GordonM said:

More likely they've been hit by Hanjin going bust, tales abound of ships being told not to dock as the cargos might be impounded. Legally I would have thought the ships and containers owned by Hanjin would be a target for receivers, the cargo itself must belong to the owners paying for it to be transported. However Japanese law and even maritime law might be different (or I could just be totally wrong!) there is also the small fact that any goods in transit, while belonging to its owner, is effectively under care of the transport firm. So Airfix as an example own 20,000 P40's, along with 20,000 Victors and 500,000 Scruggs Wonderplanes, they then place them in a Hanjin Container, on a Hanjin Ship and pay them to deliver them. Hanjin have to pay a dock to load them, more importantly they also pay someone to unload them and transport the container to Airfix's warehouse. Hanjin go bust while the ship is plodding across the Pacific, they won't have paid the dock and transport firm to complete the journey, therefore no one will undertake unloading and deliver. It could take some time to resolve. It must be frustrating for Airfix as its dead money until they can sell the kits.

The very reason UK companies should bring manufacturing back onshore. It's no use being a Service Industry economy if you don't have an industry to service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I really can't believe that - they are not going to just delay things so they can charge more as they can just increase the price anytime they want to.

Well they have increased the price since the last supposed release date of September 29th.   Make of that what you will.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

52 minutes ago, Raven Morpheus said:

Well they have increased the price since the last supposed release date of September 29th.   Make of that what you will.

I know they've increased the prices - the pound is very weak at the moment it's going to happen, they are not going to delay a kit for over a month just to wait for their price increases - they could have just increased the price earlier if they wanted to.

Edited by Tbolt

I think the price increase delay is a bit of a long-shot. In the US it's called gouging I believe and companies who engage in it attract hostile reactions. In fact just like Big Pharma at the moment. As this is a market Airfix would presumably want to enter I doubt very much that is the case.

According to my Sister who's quite high up the food chain at Felixstowe/Tilbury the Hanjin effect in the UK isn't too bad, several ships have been processed already and the remainder are expected to be cleared by month end. 

Looking back Airfix have experienced a lot of slippage on their new releases and a very long delay to get follow-on stock in. I think this is more to do with poor supply chain management (including poor supervision of off-shore manufacturing) and ambitious marketing schedules. This is pretty endemic in the UK in my experience and I've worked all the way along the supply chain in my time except on ships :repuke:

The sooner the better IMHO but they'll be slated if they aren't generally available before SMW at Telford, they've played the favoured supplier with the only supply rather more than they should have. :rant:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

they could have just increased the price earlier if they wanted to.

And yet they didn't.

It could be looked at another way - the earlier lower price was a way to get more people placing pre-orders.  And if the Hanjin problems (hasn't been publicised much in the mainstream media has it?!) aren't too bad then what other reason is there for a sudden price increase?

Airfix aren't at all forthcoming with information, the response I got was "delays happen".  Well yeah...

It's a shame because they don't seem to be managing customers expectations very well at all.  For all we know by October 27th it could still not be released, and be put back even further.

All I hope is that they don't try and and weasel out of the lower price, I'm sure there's consumer law that states they now have to sell it at that lower price to those of us who ordered it at that price.

1 hour ago, Raven Morpheus said:

And yet they didn't.

It could be looked at another way - the earlier lower price was a way to get more people placing pre-orders.  And if the Hanjin problems (hasn't been publicised much in the mainstream media has it?!) aren't too bad then what other reason is there for a sudden price increase?

Airfix aren't at all forthcoming with information, the response I got was "delays happen".  Well yeah...

It's a shame because they don't seem to be managing customers expectations very well at all.  For all we know by October 27th it could still not be released, and be put back even further.

All I hope is that they don't try and and weasel out of the lower price, I'm sure there's consumer law that states they now have to sell it at that lower price to those of us who ordered it at that price.

The point is a price increase will come at some point which will be always after someone has pre-ordered a certain kit, I just don't see them delaying a kit several weeks just to get more money for it, kits are coming out all the time and now and then there will be price increases. As I said they could have bought in the price increase earlier, I know they didn't but that would be the way to get more for the kit not delay a couple of months.

The small print on their website: " We have the right at any time to revise prices to take into account increases in costs including (without limitation) costs of agreed changes in any taxes, duties, levies or exchange rates or costs arising as a result of site conditions, delays, interruptions, lack of information and any other factor beyond our control." But they may still honour pre-orders.

I'd rather a kit comes out when it ready (OK it might be a supply problem in this case), I don't know why some people get upset when it doesn't appear by the estimated release date, it really doesn't matter if it's a bit late.

Edited by Tbolt
Grammer

The problem I've got with explaining away the price increase, as just a random price increase that may or may not naturally happen anyway, is that it's come right after the kit has been delayed, for the 2nd time if I recall correctly (almost the very next day, certainly most of this week as far as I know) and it's brought the kit in-line with other kits of the same scale (and size) that already (as far as I've noticed) had the same price for quite a while.  It just seems a little fishy, and I don't believe in coincidences.  They do appear to be "taking advantage of the market", to put it politely, when it comes to pricing of certain other new tool kits, especially ones they know are very popular.

I can understand why some people get annoyed when a kit is not released on the date stated (it's something about having expectations, having planned your time around a kit, buying it for other people, or even being a retailer waiting on the kits and possibly losing custom), but if Airfix were a bit more upfront about it people wouldn't be so annoyed.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

35 minutes ago, Raven Morpheus said:

The problem I've got with explaining away the price increase, as just a random price increase that may or may not naturally happen anyway, is that it's come right after the kit has been delayed, for the 2nd time if I recall correctly (almost the very next day, certainly most of this week as far as I know) and it's brought the kit in-line with other kits of the same scale (and size) that already (as far as I've noticed) had the same price for quite a while.  It just seems a little fishy, and I don't believe in coincidences.

I can understand why some people get annoyed when a kit is not released on the date stated (it's something about having expectations, having planned your time around a kit, buying it for other people, or even being a retailer waiting on the kits and possibly losing custom), but if Airfix were a bit more upfront about it people wouldn't be so annoyed.

If you don't believe in coincidences and there is a conspiracy going on then why isn't the P-40 out tomorrow now the price increase is in place, but instead is several weeks away still? Lots of kits were £18.99 now they are £20.99, the P-40 is only falling in line with that. Sure retailers still have stock at the older price, so there's still plenty of kit around at £18.99 or less. Or maybe the aliens have something to do with it :hypnotised:

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

I'm prepared to pay the small inflated price per kit if it means they stay on the scene and continue to provide awesome British subjects at what are still very reasonable prices when compared to their competitors.

To be fair, resellers will have them at reduced prices within the month anyway I'm sure, if you've visited any shops lately you'll have noticed Christmas is here!

For any modeller out there that cleared their bench specifically for the P-40 launch surely hasn't had their year ruined, you'd just get on with another project, or devote some time to your other half, put the few quid you saved on the pre-order towards a pint with a mate or any other 1st world activity.

Delays happen in all aspects of everything, not just supply and demand, it's a sad fact that won't change anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

If you don't believe in coincidences and there is a conspiracy going on then why isn't the P-40 out tomorrow now the price increase is in place, but instead is several weeks away still?

I don't know.  All I know is that it's been delayed for a 2nd time and now they've increased the price of the kit.  Make what you want of my speculation on that.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this deserves it own post ..particularly on a UK site because its very interesting

I found this on a website of a UK Injection Moulding company today... was this the hold up?.. so much for the issues being shipping 
Airfix went with a new uk vender to do the molding?..(And I highly commend Airfix bring job back to their home country.. may this kit be a big seller) 
=================================================================================================================
Curtiss P-40B Warhawk – Ready to Fly! 
We are the proud manufacturers for Airfix of the new 1:48 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk! The first Airfix glue kit production in the U.K for fifteen years. 
The kits are all boxed and ready to fly out the factory! 

http://www.plastch.com/curtiss-p-40b-warhawk-ready-fly/

IMG-20161018-WA0000-600x800.jpg

Edited by HBBates
  • Like 10

very interesting Hume...

and an interesting surprise, as I can see Newhaven from the hill,  it's about 8 miles from here....

So....big question, will the plastic be better than the slightly rubbery type used on the India made kits?   

thanks for pointing  this out

cheers

T

• Like 1

Wasn't planning on getting one as 48th isn't my usual scale but will now I know it's made in the UK to show support for Airfix bringing some production back here.

Paul Harrison

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GreenDragon said:

Wasn't planning on getting one as 48th isn't my usual scale but will now I know it's made in the UK to show support for Airfix bringing some production back here.

Paul Harrison

More than just the P-40

Some interesting anomalies though (description says 1/48th Stuka and boxart shows the 1/72nd scale version)

Glue Kits arriving at Plastech – Due for launch this September!

Newly arriving from Hornby – Three new glue kits including:

• P40 Curtiss P-40B Warhawk WWII Fighter, 1/48 scale
  • Stuka   German WWII Dive Bomber, 1/48 scale
  • Victor Bomber, 1/72 scale
  • Walrus Sea Plane, 1/72 scale

and a new addition to the Quickbuild range – VW Split Screen Camper

airfix-a03087-1-72-junkers-ju87b-1-stuka-pack[1]

• Like 1