1/48 - Curtiss P-40B Warhawk & Tomahawk Mk.II by Airfix - released - new Tomahawk Mk.II boxing in June 2024

Homebee

This is "Czech school" - most frequently question on czech discussion forums is - "Hey, guys, i need a blue print for riveting, can you help me ?". Many czech top modelers (i know, Czech Republic is modelers superpower ) and riveting is trend... Maybe it isn´t too realistic, but surface without riveting looks "bare". And Tamiya Golden serie (1/32)have rivets too as holes....

This is "Czech school" - most frequently question on czech discussion forums is - "Hey, guys, i need a blue print for riveting, can you help me ?". Many czech top modelers (i know, Czech Republic is modelers superpower ) and riveting is trend... Maybe it isn´t too realistic, but surface without riveting looks "bare". And Tamiya Golden serie (1/32)have rivets too as holes....

Most here are not interested in supremacy contests.

I could make a long list of kits that Czech manufacturers botched up accuracy, proportion and shape wise, are you interested ?

But the riveting on the models doesn't look like the one in reality. These are just holes. It's really better not to make tchem on the models. If someone wants to have tchem, just take riveting tools and have a go. AICZ you mentioned riveting on Eduard's Spitfires. Yest it's nice but in some places it'll disappear after sanding and using putty or ca. Afterwards the model will look funny with rivets here and there, but not in many othe places.

The Czechs are a bit crazy model geeks but very nice people. And when I read Czech forums and compare the posts there (as far as I understand) with Polish forums I find that Polish forums are the same. The same Slavic blood makes us very critical...sometimes too much.

Cheers!

Yup - I think a raised and deep riveting may be better. And i emigrate from Czech forum here :) Slavic blood is sometimes too hot - and here, in BM is kit modeling still a hobby... and this is good :)

I need something answered. Even if these are test shot sprues. Why does it take from January to August to get the kit out? Yes there may be some tweaking on the molds, but overall it looks good.

I need something answered. Even if these are test shot sprues. Why does it take from January to August to get the kit out? Yes there may be some tweaking on the molds, but overall it looks good.

I share your frustration and also agree that it looks good but I'd rather Airfix took their time and nailed the execution than rushed it out and there be complaints... ...of course there'll always be something for someone to whinge about but hopefully there won't be anything major.

Hmm, still no riveting.... Why news Airfix seen as twenty years old moulds (I compare all Airfix WW II kits with Eduard late Merlin Powered Spits...).

Rivets reproduced as holes are a ridiculous and visually inaccurate modern fashion which we are better off without.

• Like 1

Where drag was not such a problem, on the rear fuselage, raised rivets were still used, and the panels are lap jointed.

True for earlier Spits up to the Mk.V. However I believe that the fuselage went to being entirely flush riveted for Mk.IX production, bar some early machines. Perhaps the latter was limited to those converted from Mk.V airframes, but I'm not certain on that.

So I think Eduard are not as far off the mark as you suggest with their Mk.IX range, and at least internally consistent in their depiction of rivets.

cheers,

Jason

• 2 months later...

I am a huge P-40 and Airfix fan. I will be buying one. Have an array of 1/32, 1/48 and 1/72 P-40's in the stash. This will add to the built ones and the "To do when I retire" collection

As for the debate on riveting.

This kit will sell well regardless of naysayers and the Hyperscale mm club

Its all very riveting reading about it though.

:coat::nono:

• Like 3

The sprues may be created on a pilot machine, doing a full scale run will require planning into a production schedule which may be fully loaded for several months, various logistics and lead time lags for the packaging and decals then Distribution to the market.

I'm not too bothered if they aren't riveted. I quite like what eduard do as they are very fine, but if missing, easy enough to do with a riveting tool

My 2 cents. The Airfix is likely to be more in my price range than the other kit.

Interestingly some folks on the other site feel that the other kit may be the trumpy offering? Hard to tell.

I like the looks of the Airfix kit, so when i can, I will get that one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/airfix-spitfire-and-warhawk-go-head-to-head/

Quote Airfix Immortalise One of WWII's Most Important Fighters

ImageM.jpg

Computer rendered CAD image showing the unmistakable nose profile of the Curtiss P-40B

If you were to ask most aviation enthusiasts to list their top five fighter aircraft of the Second World War, most would include the Spitfire, Messerschmitt Bf 109 and Mustang amongst their selections. Although deserving much more respect than it usually receives, the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk is unlikely to be included on many lists, but it could be argued that this robust American fighter deserves to be held in at least the same regard as both the Spitfire and Messerschmitt that were its contemporaries. The P-40 was the latest in a long line of successful Curtiss fighters and by the beginning of the Second World War, was one of the most advanced fighter types available to the US Army Air Corps. The aircraft was a very capable and extremely well built fighter, which was easy to maintain and relatively cheap to produce. Historically, the Curtiss P-40 has to be viewed as one of the most important fighters of the Second World War as it was one of the few modern US fighters in full scale production at the start of WWII and was made available to the RAF in large numbers. With Spitfires and Hurricanes still needed for home defence, the US supplied P-40s (known as Tomahawks in RAF service) allowed the RAF to continue challenging the Luftwaffe, particularly in the desert skies of North Africa. It was essential that British forces remained fighting until America could be persuaded to join the fight.

Having seen the gathering clouds of war and the sleek, modern fighters being developed by many of the European air forces, the US Army Air Corps placed their largest ever order for 524 Curtiss P-40 fighters, not knowing that this decision was arguably one of the most significant of the entire war. As America allowed the European Allies to access all their latest military hardware, large orders for Curtiss P-40 fighters came from France and Britain, at the same time as their own Army Air Corps began to re-equip with the new fighter. Not only would the P-40 bolster depleted RAF fighter forces in Europe and North Africa, but it would also go on to allow America to challenge Japanese dominance in the Pacific theatre, holding the line until more effective fighter aircraft could be developed.

ImageN.jpg

The new Curtiss P-40 will feature impressive levels of detail

Announced in the sixth edition of Workbench, the newly tooled 1/48th Scale Curtiss P-40B from Airfix has already attracted plenty of positive comments from modellers who are very much looking forward to getting stuck into this kit. In this larger 1/48th scale, the distinctive lines of this early P-40 look all the more impressive and with some of the most iconic schemes seen on WWII fighters available to the modeller, this really does look like being a stunning addition to the Airfix range. We are now pleased to be able to show you the scheme options that will be included in this much anticipated new kit:

Scheme Option 1

ImageP.jpg

Magnificent Pearl Harbor Curtiss P-40B scheme profile image

ImageR.jpg

Full scheme layout for the magnificent Pearl Harbor P-40B defender

Curtiss P-40B Warhawk, 160/15P, 2nd Lt. George Welch, 47th Pursuit Squadron, 15th Pursuit Group, US Army Air Corps, Wheeler Field, Oahu, Hawaii, December 7th 1941

Following an extremely late night at the Squadron Christmas party the day previously, USAAF pilots George Welch and Kenneth Taylor woke to the sound of explosions and low flying aircraft. The date was 7th December 1941 and the United States naval base at Pearl Harbor was under attack. Still wearing their mess dress from the previous night, the men rang ahead to Wheeler Field, where their Squadron had been deployed for gunnery practice and instructed ground crews to prepare two P40 fighters for flight. Driving their Buick at high speed and coming under fire from Japanese aircraft, the men arrived at Wheeler and immediately made for their aircraft – taking off beneath waves of attacking enemy aircraft, the two pilots fought valiantly against overwhelming odds, even landing to re-fuel and re-arm, only to take off and fight again. During a frantic few minutes, Welch destroyed four enemy aircraft, with Taylor accounting for at least a further two. For their heroic actions during the Pearl Harbor attack, George Welch and Kenneth Taylor were both awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.

As this coming December will mark the 75th Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor raid, it is difficult to imagine a more iconic aircraft to commemorate this historic attack and America’s entry into the Second World War.

Scheme Option 2

ImageS.jpg

Iconic side profile of a ‘Flying Tigers’ Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 fighter

ImageT.jpg

Complete scheme layout for the R.T Smith P-40 Hawk

Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2, ‘White 47’, P-8127, Flight Leader Robert ‘R.T’ Smith, 3rd Squadron ‘Hell’s Angels’, American Volunteer Group, Nationalist Chinese Air Force, Kunming, China, June 1942

Clearly illustrating the importance of the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk series of fighters during the early stages of WWII, this magnificent machine operated with the first American Volunteer Group (AVG), the famous ‘Flying Tigers’ against Japanese forces at war with China. These volunteer pilots are revered amongst American historians for their valour and fortitude in heading overseas to wage war against the Japanese during the Sino-Japanese War. Although the Flying Tigers did not see combat until after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the infrastructure behind recruiting, training and equipping the unit began in early 1941. Divided into three Pursuit Squadrons of around 30 aircraft each, the group of volunteer pilots were officially members of the Chinese Air Force and were equipped with Hawk 81-A-2, which were roughly equivalent to the Tomahawk IIA and IIB fighters of the British Desert Air Force. One of the more appealing aspects of their time in China was the salary they were earning – for their commitment, they were paid more than three times the amount they would be receiving, had they remained in the US military. Any study of the Flying Tigers P-40s will reveal that their aircraft wore various incarnations of the famous sharkmouth artwork, which are still regarded as some of the most distinctive WWII aircraft to ever see combat.

It is already clear that many modellers are looking forward to securing their example of this kit and with initial supplies certain to sell out quickly, this is one model that should be considered for placing on pre-order. Currently scheduled for an early August release, we look forward to bringing you further updates from this fantastic new tooling in due course.

V.P.

• Like 2

Airfix yes! Bronco no. To expensive. This will be a 1/48 brother to my 172 P-40 (All about the Avatar) :pilot:

It would be nice if Airfix would correct the underside colour of the AVG bird - there's zero evidence that the AVG P-40s were painted in anything other than US equivalents to the RAF Temperate Land Scheme, which means Sky(ish) undersides, not Camouflage Grey.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Box art http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/curtiss-p-40b-1-48.html

image.jpg

An aircraft that was very much part of the events that took place on 7th December 1941 was the Curtiss P-40B Warhawk, which was the most capable fighter aircraft available to the US Army Air Force on Hawaii at the time of the attack. The speed and ferocity of the Japanese attack took the US forces completely by surprise and many aircraft were destroyed where they were parked on their home airfield. In a glorious episode in the history of the American Air Forces, a small number of brave US pilots managed to get airborne during the melee of the Japanese attack and attempt to defend the island against the raiders. The dramatic image above shows the Warhawk of 2nd Lieutenant George Welch of the USAAF 47th Pursuit Squadron taking off from Wheeler Field under heavy Japanese attack – Welch was one of the few American pilots who managed to successfully shoot down Japanese aircraft during the attack, displaying incredible valour in the process. This beautiful artwork will accompany the new 1/48th scale Curtiss P-40B Warhawk (A05130), which is currently scheduled for a September 2016 release. As usual, we would always advise modellers to check the Airfix website for all the latest model release information, as unforeseen delays may have an impact on the anticipated release dates for these new models.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

I say! That will look good against its little brother later on this year. Avatar will then have two P-40's in it. Big and little

To be fair to Hornby I don't think there's any colour in the current range that would be a good match for the (in)famous Sky Type S Grey without some mixing, which they seem to try to avoid if possible. Having said that, and assuming that they wanted to differentiate the colour from their "standard" Sky maybe 247 RLM76 would have been a better compromise than 28 which is supposed to match FS595 36622, the underside grey of the Vietnam-era 2 greens and tan scheme.

Elsewhere on these boards I suggested to Sovereign Hobbies that they might like to investigate this shade as part of their range, and they didn't say no...

John