1/48 - Curtiss P-40B Warhawk & Tomahawk Mk.II by Airfix - released - new Tomahawk Mk.II boxing in June 2024

Homebee

Airfix is to release in September 2016 a 1/48th Curtiss P-40B Warhawk kit - ref. A05130

Sources:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/curtiss-p-40b-1-48.html

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/p40b_and_b5n1_Meteor

Coming in 2016 - Curtiss P-40B Flying Shark in 1/48th scale

The history of military aviation in the Second World War is littered with iconic and technologically advanced aircraft types, but amongst this embarrassment of aviation riches, there can be few aircraft as distinctive as the Curtiss P-40 series of fighters. Tracing their lineage back to the radial engined P-36 Hawk fighters of the mid 1930s, the P-40 was a rugged and dependable fighter which deserves much more respect than history has bestowed upon it. It was certainly no dogfighter, and from the firewall back it was basically a P-36 Hawk. But at a time when British and US air forces needed a capable fighter to challenge Axis forces on many fronts the Curtiss P-40 proved to be invaluable.

ImageB5.jpg

A Duxford research trip allowed the Airfix team access to a rare P-40C

Arguably, the most striking versions of the P-40 were the early machines, which had an extremely sinister profile with a shorter, more pointed nose and an extremely throaty Allison V-1710 engine, the P-40B/Tomahawk I aircraft looked almost like flying Great White sharks. When RAF No.112 Squadron of the Desert Air Force added aggressive looking sharks teeth and eyes to their aircraft in 1941, they inadvertently turned their Tomahawks into some of the most iconic aircraft of WWII and certainly some of the most visually appealing. These designs would find their way on to many different aircraft, throughout the remainder of the war, but the RAF Desert Air Force certainly started the trend.

New Airfix P-40B an American Classic

There is do doubting that the Curtiss P-40 was one of the most important US fighter aircraft of WWII. It remained in production until the end of 1944 and was produced in more numbers than any other US fighter, except for the Mustang and Thunderbolt importantly, it served with many overseas air forces and allowed them to challenge Axis aggression all over the world.

For many modellers, the distinctive profile of the Curtiss P-40B in the larger 1/48th scale will prove to be an irresistible combination. The extra size afforded by a 1/48th scale model tooling really does allow the Airfix design team to incorporate a lot more detail into their models, and with a number of new toolings recently announced in this scale it seems as if these larger aircraft are proving popular with the modeller. One thing is certain when built, these really are the ideal size in which to display a single engine fighter model and help to convey a real sense of the power of these magnificent machines.

ImageC5.jpg

TFC Curtiss P-40C 41-13357 in the hangar at IWM Duxford

The new P-40B project began with the detailed research that marks any new Airfix model tooling. In this case, the designers were allowed to inspect original construction plans and detailed technical drawings. Fortunately, they were also able to view an actual aircraft as the UK is lucky enough to have an example of the P-40C on the display circuit - a research trip to Duxford was arranged, where the Airfix team had access to the magnificent Fighter Collections Curtiss P-40C 41-13357. This beautiful and extremely rare aircraft was obtained from Russia, where it had served during WWII before undergoing restoration at Chino, in California. The aircraft arrived in the UK just in time to be one of the star attractions at the 2014 Flying Legends Airshow, looking absolutely spectacular in its polished natural metal finish.

As we have discussed in previous editions of Workbench, having a full project research file is only half of the story, as all this information now has to be digitised and a detailed base model file created. The Airfix designers will then use this base model as a template to produce each individual part of the new model, ensuring that they not only incorporate the required levels of detail, but also to make sure the parts are produced specifically around the strict manufacturing restrictions associated with the injection moulding process.

ImageD5.jpg

CAD base model file, which is used to design individual model parts

For the plastic modeller, each stage of this process holds its own fascination and clearly illustrates how the models they love to construct come to life. Perhaps the moment when the new model project actually seems real is when the designers begin to release the incredibly detailed computer rendered 3D CAD images of the new model. To many modellers, these images are almost like looking at a prototype aircraft, as they are usually in various shades of grey, but they do allow us a glimpse into the levels of detail that will be incorporated on the model we can also start to get excited about the advancing project.

ImageE5.jpg

The new 1/48th scale Curtiss P-40B is already looking extremely impressive

As we have stressed in previous editions of Aerodrome, the Airfix team has decided to allow information regarding future new tooling releases to be made available to modellers much earlier in the production process than was previously the case, knowing that they still have much work to do before the model is eventually released. This means that we will probably be showing you preliminary computer rendered images of the model, as opposed to actual test model images. It does allow the Airfix modeller to chart the development of a particular future project, whilst you are still busy putting the finishing touches to your own current model project, so you can see what will be tempting you in the months to come. As any new model advances towards release, we will be able to bring you test model images, decal options and box artwork updates along the way.

The 1:48 Curtiss P-40 (A05130) is scheduled for release in August 2016,.

The P-40 and the 1st American Volunteer Group The Flying Tigers

Most aviation enthusiasts will associate the Curtiss P-40 with the exploits of the 1st American Volunteer Group The Flying Tigers, who fought in the colours of the Chinese Air Force between December 1941 and July 1942. Facing incredible numbers of Japanese aircraft, the Flying Tigers followed the air combat doctrine of their Commanding Officer Claire L Chennault, who insisted that his pilots dive onto their targets in slash and run attacks, before gaining height for a further attack under no circumstances were his P-40s to enter a tight turning dogfight with the more agile Japanese fighters.

ImageF5.jpg

Computer rendered 3D image close-ups of the new 1/48th scale P-40B

On leaving the US Air Force in 1937, Chennault had accepted an invitation from Chiang Kai Shek to assess the state of the Chinese Air Force and its ability to defend against Japanese aggression. He was shocked at what he found, particularly in regard to the effectiveness of the Japanese aircraft he saw. Reporting back to US authorities, his reports were dismissed, but he persuaded President Roosevelt to let the Chinese hire 100 retired US pilots and 100 P-40 fighters. It is a popular misconception that the AVG were ill-disciplined, journeymen pilots who were simply in it for the money in actual fact they were excellent former US Army and Navy fighter pilots who wanted to make a difference. Yes, they were very well paid, earning three times as much as they were paid back home, but in the main they were well trained and highly motivated fighter pilots, who believed in Chennault and his air combat tactics.

As they trained in China, the AVG read reports of the British Desert Air Force and their fight against German and Italian air forces in North Africa and saw pictures of their striking shark mouthed P-40 Tomahawks. They decided to adopt this artwork on their own aircraft and the rest is history if The Few of the Battle of Britain are Britains pilot heroes, the Flying Tigers are equivalent heroes for the American public. In less than seven months of combat with the Japanese, the pilots of the AVG destroyed 296 enemy aircraft, with a further 43 probably destroyed they only lost 16 P-40s in aerial combat, with five airmen tragically losing their lives. The AVG used tactics that were adopted throughout the USAAF and became heroes to a US population, captivated by the achievements of these brave and tenacious airmen.

ImageG5.jpg

Computer rendered 3D image of the magnificent new P-40B

The new 1/48th scale Curtiss P-40B from Airfix will mark one of the most important aircraft of the Second World War and allow the modeller to produce a highly detailed scale representation of this distinctive aircraft. With many choosing to finish their model as either an AVG Flying Tiger, or an RAF Desert Air Force Tomahawk I, it is likely that sharks teeth will be found on many of these models. Scheduled for an August 2016 release, we will keep you fully informed as the P-40B project progresses.

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

They are certainly hitting 1/48th with a vengeance next year, aren't they? It does surprise me that they will not be offering an option to finish it like the TFC P-40 that they measured. Flying Tigers and Desert Air Force again, unimaginatively.

• Like 1

They are certainly hitting 1/48th with a vengeance next year, aren't they? It does surprise me that they will not be offering an option to finish it like the TFC P-40 that they measured. Flying Tigers and Desert Air Force again, unimaginatively.

They sell. Especially to the non-fanatic, and the fanatics will in any case buy aftermarket decals.

Shane

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

A big yawn from me!. No interest in type but, I am happy for those for whom this kit is welcome. On the other hand, I am pleased to see Airfix really getting into ther stride in 1/48. Long may it continue.

Allan

More 'its wrong - no it's right' arguments based on a kit that not even out the IT department yet let alone on shop shelves.

And I see there's even a lot of chatter on 'this restoration is right where as that restoration is wrong!'

I understand the desire to point out any deficiencies but it gets more heated than a plastic moulding machine at times.

Love the 'Airfix should be reading this forum' type posts...err why? Surely feedback is better sent to Airfix than shouted in a Galaxy Far Far away...perhaps they don't use email or in Airfixville, or aren't well behaved enough able to have their own website and forum...(!)

So no different to any other announcement then....fun & games & castigations :)

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

My that thread on the other site was an interesting read...

I think that the user HumeBates helped Airfix with plans, and hopefully he may pose the question to Airfix? Or is someone here with contacts at Airfix willing to raise a small flag?

I like my Airfix kits(modern ones) and as has been said, these P-40's should be an excellent earner for Airfix. Hopefully Airfix can recheck this and via an intermediary put this rumor to rest.

This kit is for sure on my "will get when I can" list. In fact, a non modelling friend of mine who is a huge P-40 fan will likely get a 112 squadron kit for Christmas (one day when I can get my mojo/workbench back)

Edit for error.

Edited by Av8fan
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure that LIDAR accuracy is rather better than relatively thick lines drawn on slightly fuzzy photographs.

Like the comment about the line of the belly able to point in any direction. I'd think a line at right angles to the tangent of both curves compared to the thrust line would be rather more relevant.

• Like 3

Do you ever get the impression that if by some magic you were able to shrink a real aircraft down to 1/72 or 1/48 scale (with a corresponding decrease in weight) and displayed it as the test shot for a new kit the internet would still be full of comments criticising its accuracy?

• Like 10

Do you ever get the impression that if by some magic you were able to shrink a real aircraft down to 1/72 or 1/48 scale (with a corresponding decrease in weight) and displayed it as the test shot for a new kit the internet would still be full of comments criticising its accuracy?

Yes! Afraid I'm firmly of the belief that if it looks right it'll do me.

• Like 5