1/72 - Avro Shackleton AEW.2 & MR.3 by Revell - AEW.2 released - AiM MR.3 conversion set

Homebee

well Germany Company - try Germany, it was on German eBay and Amazon yesterday, overseas distributors will have to await their stock being shipped out.

Back home from Berlin yesterday, with this one in my suitcase. :) So it is definitely avaliable in Germany, I will post some pictures soon. Price was 39.99 Euro.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 1

Most of this has been shown before. But here are a few pictures. The boxart is pretty similar to their old Shackleton. Revell seems to love this angle...

24614098793_1dbe62a6ae_c.jpg

Instructions: At last, Revell have given us a properly printed instruction sheet which is not printed on East German paper from 1862 - and it is even in full colour!

24873221799_2a836e2135_c.jpg

24873221029_d41d6a7ac7_c.jpg

I know too little about the Shackleton to take part in the accuracy debate. But I know one thing. It was full of rivets. And Revell gives us plenty of them. Enjoy:

24873219729_717ef05f1e_c.jpg25240903565_0068b42a4d_c.jpg

25240902835_116ca6e4c0_c.jpg

Being an Airfix addict, I never thought I would buy the Revell release instead of the Airfix one. But since i like the AEW.2 version best and especially since I find those rivets hard to resist, I surprised myself by buying this one. Now I just wonder what to do with my old one. But I am glad that I never managed to pay loads of money to get the Aeroclub conversion...

• Like 6

Just to forewarn you, gents, but unfortunately supply of the Shackleton is likely to be limited for the moment, so I have learned following a conversation yesterday with the Revell rep. There seems to be a technical problem affecting the manufacture of that particular model, and as I have only a loose grasp of it myself I don't intend to offer half an explanation, suffice to say that it is serious and is presently causing much scratching of heads at the production facility. Please don't ask me any questions about the problem, as I have no further information beyond the fact that we will not be seeing many of them for sale for a while.

It does mean that Revell UK is strictly issuing the stock they have been allocated to as wide a geographical spread as possible, but I suspect it may be some time before it is freely available. Hopefully the issues can be overcome sooner rather than later otherwise it may become a VERY limited item.

Sorry to be the bearer of this disappointing news, but at least you know why you won't see many of them in the shops. Typically, as the rep said, it had to be the Shackleton it has happened to. Couldn't be the Luftwaffe 60th anniversary kit, oh no...

Just to forewarn you, gents, but unfortunately supply of the Shackleton is likely to be limited for the moment, so I have learned following a conversation yesterday with the Revell rep. There seems to be a technical problem affecting the manufacture of that particular model, and as I have only a loose grasp of it myself I don't intend to offer half an explanation, suffice to say that it is serious and is presently causing much scratching of heads at the production facility. Please don't ask me any questions about the problem, as I have no further information beyond the fact that we will not be seeing many of them for sale for a while.

It does mean that Revell UK is strictly issuing the stock they have been allocated to as wide a geographical spread as possible, but I suspect it may be some time before it is freely available. Hopefully the issues can be overcome sooner rather than later otherwise it may become a VERY limited item.

Sorry to be the bearer of this disappointing news, but at least you know why you won't see many of them in the shops. Typically, as the rep said, it had to be the Shackleton it has happened to. Couldn't be the Luftwaffe 60th anniversary kit, oh no...

Thanks for the update, that explains the note on the Hannants homepage listing the kit as "limited availability" .

Funny how the box art for the AEW2 has a submarine in the background while the box art for the MR3 has fighter jets. Surely it should be the other way round.

The kit looks good mind, so I'll be adding one to the Airfix kit.

• Like 4

Strange how review samples have been built up and displayed and no mention made any encountered problems or likely problems. All the builds of the post Revell Shackleton appeared trouble free and builders were full of praise for it

Strange how review samples have been built up and displayed and no mention made any encountered problems or likely problems. All the builds of the post Revell Shackleton appeared trouble free and builders were full of praise for it

That is probably because are no problems or trouble with the kit itself. Nothing strange about it.

Please re-read my earlier post and note from it that it is a problem with the physical PRODUCTION of the kit at the factory, which is affecting this kit only, hence my use of the phrase "technical problem affecting the manufacture of that particular model". Production was proceeding as normal until this problem arose, and until it is settled no more Shackletons will appear.

I can confirm that no Revell trade customers west of Bristol have been allocated any of the available models.

That is probably because are no problems or trouble with the kit itself. Nothing strange about it.

Please re-read my earlier post and note from it that it is a problem with the physical PRODUCTION of the kit at the factory, which is affecting this kit only, hence my use of the phrase "technical problem affecting the manufacture of that particular model". Production was proceeding as normal until this problem arose, and until it is settled no more Shackletons will appear.

I can confirm that no Revell trade customers west of Bristol have been allocated any of the available models.

Possibly the workers are revolting then!!!!!

or ..................a tool may have been damaged

Just as well for me, I suppose; I've just spend quite a bit of quid updating my computer, leaving little for kits. Perhaps by the time Revell straighten things out, I'll have some money again. Still a pity about the production problem(s). Already having the Airfix kit, I was looking forward to being able to do a side-by-side comparison myself.

Regards,

Jason

Is the radar radome a separate structure to the bomb bay doors, i.e. can you build an MR2 from this kit?

Meatbox , check my previous thread on this topic here for the structure of Radome bays and other equipment bays on the Shackleton

Perhaps a few photos of shacks under maintenance may help?

Two separate bays beneath fuselage - One for the Radar and one as CHRISOV mentioned for other task work.................you can see how they are independent and operate separately.

For maintenance work the radar was removed and the bay opened for access.

POINT OF INTEREST - Note position of ALL prop blades in all pictures................safety first, keep them together and where they can be seen..........thus avoiding walking into them

[/url]">http://shak1011_edited-1_zpspie1hkxc.jpg

[/url]">http://shak1008_zpsulnio959.jpg

[/url]">http://shak1022_edited-1_zpsuhbetifi.jpg

[/url]">http://shak1015_zpsugkwx0um.jpg

Not in the kit, no. You can only build it with the radome.

From the IPMS.nl review linked above:

http://www.ipms.nl/images/foto-recensies/revell-shackleton/s1-sprue-h.jpg

Thanks. That seems like a curious choice by Revell, unless they are planning on releasing a separate version without the Radome.

I still think looking at the parts breakdown that Revell are planning a MR3. Separate front fuselage, inner engine nacelles and u/c sprues and the canopy. Not having seen the wings I cannot tell if the mould is designed to take a near outer wing. These all suggest more variants and much as I would like a MR1/1a, I would think a 3 is more likely.

So I guess you'll probably want to cancel the one you pre-ordered from me then, Jon?

Edited by T7 Models

Well just looked at it. Its a thing of beauty. Detail is gorgeous. I hope it builds as well as it looks. There is some flash on parts but not too much. The only things i think i may replace are the main wheels. I will wait for a bit before i build it , but its amazing to finally have an AEW Shackleton in injection molded plastic.