1/72 - Avro Shackleton AEW.2 & MR.3 by Revell - AEW.2 released - AiM MR.3 conversion set

Homebee

I've thought a lot about posting this, and I will no doubt get slaughtered for analysing an angled picture of a test shot, but there is something about that nose that doesn't look right for an MR/AEW2 - it looks a little fat and MR3ish.

Hopefully it's just the angle. No doubt we will get some better shots over the next few weeks.

I was hoping for better to be honest.

Poor, poor research, and it shows that while several museums tried to put them right, they've still gone and created some kind of franken-Shack that's all their own work.

MR3 ailerons on an MR2 shaped wing.
MR3 interior in an AEW2 (things such as the Blue Silk unit on the rear floor, and raised floor with an escape hatch for the nosewheel bay between the pilots!!))
MR3 glazed panel for the fuselage flares - a South African Air Force local modification.
Maritime trailing aerial moulded on (amongst others), when the AEW2 doesn't have one.
Faired in AEW radome, when it was an addition with a built up 'skirt' to take something non original to the aircraft.

If you want accuracy, stick with the Airfix kit.

Regards,

Rich

• Like 1

I am amazed at the kits being released this year! - Can anybody here advise me wish Shackleton would be best to do a South African one ? I am I right in thinking it might be the Revell AEW2. And also which hobby shop supplier to pre order one from? Thank you Colin. PS: My usual modelling tastes are for smaller airforces from South America and Asia etc.

Can anybody here advise me wish Shackleton would be best to do a South African one ? I am I right in thinking it might be the Revell AEW2.

Neither is really suitable I'm afraid, the South African machines were MR3s. These had a tricycle undercarriage layout as the most noticeable difference compared to the MR2 or AEW2, but there are many other changes.

The old Frog/Novo/Revell etc kit is the correct variant, but needs a fair amount of work to bring it up to scratch,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

Ok now for some reason airfix put their date back to december

When i last looked about five minutes ago it was saying 8th October so do not know wha tis happening, unless Airfix have decided to bring it out early, which is possible if a production slot had come up and the moulds did not need much work to bring them to production standard.