Best 1/72 ever

olda homola

Er, yes, I already said that. Last sentence. You even quoted it in yours!

Nick

Not quite - you said Revell re-released it as a (black box) Matchbox, which is true, but Revell also boxed it for themselves, from 1977 or something onwards (complete with the final Frog box art) up to the early or mid 80s (not sure - was there a grey box ?), before Revell and Monogram joined. And I think it's the latter that Marine wanted to add.

Not quite - you said Revell re-released it as a (black box) Matchbox, which is true, but Revell also boxed it for themselves, from 1977 or something onwards (complete with the final Frog box art) up to the early or mid 80s (not sure - was there a grey box ?), before Revell and Monogram joined. And I think it's the latter that Marine wanted to add.

Yes, I know that. 1977 and 1982. I've added a comma. . . .

Nick

Funnily, while I believe it's often hard to tell what's the best kit of a certain subject (best in accuracy ? Or fit ? Or detail), it's IMHO easier to define what makes a best overall. Any modeller when opening the box of a new kit will find features that may not be of interest to him but will certainly be appreciated. I may not be too interested in good surface detail but one thing is a kit with generic panel lines all looking the same and another thing is a kit with different treatment of the different features, opening panels or panel lines or lines of rivets and raised areas. I may not be interested in superdetailing the cockpit but I can appreciate a kit where everything is included from the box in contrast to another only offering a chair and a generic panel. I may favour accuracy over everything else but even the most die-hard "rivet counters" are happy when a kit fits well. Generally speaking, there are things that define the quality of a kit regardless of the interest of the modeller.

The fact that in the end most here seem to have identified pretty much the same kits, tells me that these are kits where quality is well in evidence. It may not be easy to choose which of these ones is THE best, but clearly kits that don't reach such a quality level would not enter the contest.

Unfortunately, many of the subjects I'm most interested in are not covered by such good kits....

Edited by Giorgio N