Somewhere in France, May 1940

Stosh65

Since I finished my brace of Spitfires I thought I'd have a go at an idea I've had kicking around for a while, combining a rag wing Hurricane and a Messerschmit bf109 with an old stand I had lying around. This was supposed to be done a while back to clear out time for a Battle of Britain build but when do we ever stick to any schedule we plan?

Both kits are the new tools from Airfix, the 109 is the starter kit edition. Both are good builds, very easy and go together quickly, though how the top and bottom of the wings on the Hurricane have wound up different sizes is beyond me. This was done as a first experiment with weathering more than anything so the finish on both is a bit scrappier than I would normally aim for and I wasn't sure if I was going to put them up here but I'm generally pleased with the result so thought I may as well.

Hurri first

DSC_0021_zps8hzq12wz.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsa8fobogl.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsuumwcjv7.jpg

This was finished first and so is my first attempt at weathering. This was in no way because it represents a fighter operating away from home for some time so I could get away with being a little heavy handed. Also, the port red gun decal went missing mysteriously overnight after application so had to paint a red patch which is a bit scrappy.

The 109

DSC_0023_zpsugimab7b.jpg

DSC_0022_zps6aglccx6.jpg

DSC_0025_zpshmklj7eg.jpg

Again, not the best finish but not what I was aiming for with this one.

And the finished article

DSC_0026_zpsz0tymyfa.jpg

Had fun with these and looking forward to working on these skills in the future. Thanks for looking.

• Like 10