McDonnell F-4C Phantom II (1/48, Eduard)

David Lengyel

Hello everyone, I'd like to share another WIP with you. This time 1/48 Academy kit repacked by Eduard as a limited edition Good evening Da Nang with resin ejection seats, wheels and burner cans.

y3VzJTZ.jpg

Since majority of modelers will pick the classic SEA camo, I'll go with early light gull grey / white scheme provided in the box. I've researched the history record of the airframe back to the 1965 / 1966, when it sported distinctive silhouette of a shark on the drop tank and F-105 Thud kill mark on the vari ramp. At that time #64-0676 was transfered from Ubon Air Base, Thailand to the Cam Ranh Bay, South Vietnam in January 1966.

ZKHxBGV.jpg

QAzk0EN.jpg

rqhQXUH.jpg

FwLtc1w.jpg

I'll following add-ons:

• Eduard F-4C PE upgrade set
  • Aerobonus Navy Wing Pylons
  • Aires Auxiliary Intake Doors
  • Hypersonic Models Unslotted Vertical Stabilators
  • Hypersonic Models A/C scoops
  • Master Pitot tube / Ram sensor and AOA probe
  • Aerobonus MER and TER
  • Eduard M 117 bombs
  • Eduard Superfabric Seat belts
  • Eduard Superfabric RBF flags
3nxhYJD.jpg

83u7hXF.jpg

sZwmF4Y.jpg

I'm thinking about XMM full trunking seamless intakes, because OOB intakes doesn't look very nice from the inside.

sFgRdyS.jpg

Edited by David Lengyel
  • Like 4

This will be good!

If I may make a suggestion, or help you spend your money, whichever the case may be, head back over to Hypersonic's web site and pick up some of Jeffrey's MB Mk.5 seats and a canopy interior detail set. The early F-4s used the Mk.5, and if you're building your model with the canopies up, the canopy frame details really dress up this much-neglected area. I'm using both on my F-4B, and they look great.

Cheers!

Ben (usual disclaimers)

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen,

first of all thank you for your feedback, hints and interest in this project. I've started with PE parts works on sub-assemblies. As you can see, there's quite a lot parts which really enhance the details. Most of the parts fits well, some falls into the other category though.

DecQszQ.jpg

TZX9Hhh.jpg

Dyq2mm8.jpg

wA9yb07.jpg

LUCY7u3.jpg

XaFy181.jpg

9St6GN3.jpg

gWYiUQU.jpg

Although the instructions doesn't mention the nose weight, I'm not so confident about the ballance and I decided to add some sticky flexible nose weight just to be sure that my Rhino won't sit on its tail.

SvFkj52.jpg

mpeYho6.jpg

PzASdUz.jpg

Next move: cockpit and other internal stuff while I'll wait for XMM resin intakes.

if you're building your model with the canopies up, the canopy frame details really dress up this much-neglected area. I'm using both on my F-4B, and they look great.

I wish I could knew this before I started with the PE parts on the canopy. But thank you anyway, this isn't my last build of Academy Phantom ;)

• Like 5

:wow: that's some PE you have in there! Looking really good!

What kind of color/mix have you been using for the tub - well, for the small part remaining after all of that PE, anyway?

TIA

Ciao

Thanks gentlemen. I just realized that the control stick in the rear cockpit is backwards :banghead: so there will be re-do.

What kind of color/mix have you been using for the tub - well, for the small part remaining after all of that PE, anyway?

It's Gunze Mr. Color C317 sprayed on black primer.

It's Gunze Mr. Color C317 sprayed on black primer.

Great, thanks!

I just realized that the control stick in the rear cockpit is backwards :banghead: so there will be re-do.

I didn't notice that before. :banghead: One thing I did see - and forgot to mention - is that the side console on the top right of the RIO looks to be bent or lifted up a bit. Same goes for the side console on the top left of the pilot - or is this intentional?

Ciao

One thing I did see - and forgot to mention - is that the side console on the top right of the RIO looks to be bent or lifted up a bit. Same goes for the side console on the top left of the pilot - or is this intentional?

Eagle eye giemme ;) I've noticed that RIO panel too, it's repaired now. Front cockpit console couldn't be installed otherwise because this particular part has bent edge which is slightly longer than the recess in the styrene instrument panel. I hope it does make a sense. This little gap will be hidden once it will be installed in the fuselage.

Edited by David Lengyel
  • Like 1

Front cockpit console couldn't be installed otherwise because this particular part has bent edge which is slightly longer than the recess in the styrene instrument panel. I hope it does make a sense. This little gap will be hidden once it will be installed in the fuselage.

Got it. When I did my signature F-4J (it's in 1/72, though - and the HASEGAWA kit) I also used Eduard pre-painted PE for the cockpit and IPs, and I remember I had to trim out the top corners of the IP PEs to get clearance with the plastic sidewalls. You are hopefully going to have a better fit with this ACADEMY

Ciao

Just a point of interest.

I have built around 200 Phantom models in various scales, and none of them have nose weights. None of them are tail sitters, even with added weight at the back. The wheels on the Phantom are a fair distance to the rear, so anyone contemplating adding nose weights can save their money and use it on something that needs it.

I've got several of the Academy kits to be built, but I've not completed one yet so good luck.

Ted