Curtiss prop/ P-47 question

Spitfires Forever

Hello P-47 experten, got a prop question for you. My son just bought the decals for "Wicked Wabbit" a -15-RA which served in Corsica, 1944. The call on the prop according to the directions is for a Curtiss 13' symmetrical prop so are we talking the old "toothpick" prop? It would make sense that an older model like the D-15 but wouldn't that particular prop be the 12'2" original Curtiss propeller? I am aware of the original, the Hamilton Standard, the Curtiss paddle blade prop (doesn't seem exactly symmetrical) and the asymmetrical paddle blade props on the late model P-47's. So, my question is: does anybody know which prop would have been used? It seems that by '44 all the T-Bolts should have been retrofitted with some kind of paddle blade prop? The performance difference alone was dramatic when the first paddle b

Aides were installed. I have only found one or two pics of this airplane but it is in flight, which obviously doesn't help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

I'm no expert on Jugs, but here's some basic data:

12' 2" original Curtiss Electric narrow-blade prop fitted to P-47B through early D's

13' Curtiss Electric paddle blade prop with symmetrical blades fitted beginning with P-47D-15 and also P-47M's and N's

13' Hamilton Standard paddle blade prop fitted to P-47D's and Curtiss-built P-47G's

13' Curtiss Electric paddle blade prop with asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's

The problem with P-47 props is that any of the 4 types could be fitted, regardless with what was supposed to be 'standard' for each block; frequently when aircraft were damaged or to upgrade performance. For example, the 5th ASR P-47D's, which were all war-weary early block razorback D's, can be seen with examples of all 4 types! Highly recommended that you confirm which type your project had by means of a photograph, but it will only be accurate for the date the photo was taken. I have attached a link to a website that has a very good summary of P-47 prop types, with photos and drawings of each. Hope this helps!

Mike

http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=128328

My son did some digging around and found some pictures of the aircraft in question while it was serving with the 57th FG, The pictures reflect the time frame in question, and it indeed had the 12' 2' toothpick props. I imagine the backwater air stations were the last to get the new goodies. Upon further research the unit still had a few C models in service. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Cheers

12' 2" Curtiss Electric "tooth pick", blade N° 714 (B, C, D & G)

12' 2" Curtiss Electric "tooth pick", blade N° C2721200 (a bit wider than 714) (B, C, D & G)

13' Curtiss Electric paddle blade prop with symmetrical blades P-47D-15 and also P-47M's and N's, blade N° 836

13'7/8" Hamilton Standard paddle blade prop fitted to P-47D22re/25re/27re, blade N° 6501

13' Curtiss Electric asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade 6501A-D

12' 2" AO Smith asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade N° SPA3

12' 2" AO Smith asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade N° SPA5

these blades were not interchangeable always between them, according to the propeller hub

the propeller hub B,C,D & G could be fitted with blade N°714,(hub N° C542S-A4; C542S-A22, C542S-A34; C542S-A10)

Blade 836: hub C542S-A114 (D) and C642S-B40 (M & N)

Blade 6507 Hamilton: hub 24E50

for AO Smith blades, I don't now the version of C542S hub

these propellers are fitted on the P-47 versions according to the batches, what is the serial number which interest you?

But, as Mike wrote " frequently when aircraft were damaged or to upgrade performance", this P47, 44-19776, was seen with 386 fitted in factory then AOS

The distinctive marking of AOS and Curtiss blade asymmetrical are two yellow narrow stripes near the yellow tip for AOS and only one for Curtiss

On the orginal pic, we can guess these two stripes.

The better is to have several picture of the same a/c.

44-19711.jpg

Edited by BS_w
Correction(in bold) of DWG Hamilton & SPA diameter

12' 2" Curtiss Electric "tooth pick", blade N° 714 (B, C, D & G)

12' 2" Curtiss Electric "tooth pick", blade N° C2721200 (a bit wider than 714) (B, C, D & G)

13' Curtiss Electric paddle blade prop with symmetrical blades P-47D-15 and also P-47M's and N's, blade N° 836

13'7/8" Hamilton Standard paddle blade prop fitted to P-47D22re/25re/27re, blade N° 6501

13' Curtiss Electric asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade 6501A-D

13' AO Smith asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade N° SPA3

13' AO Smith asymmetrical blades fitted to P-47D's, blade N° SPA5

these blades were not interchangeable always between them, according to the propeller hub

the propeller hub B,C,D & G could be fitted with blade N°714,(hub N° C542S-A4; C542S-A22, C542S-A34; C542S-A10)

Blade 836: hub C542S-A114 (D) and C642S-B40 (M & N)

Blade 6501 Hamilton: hub 24E50

for AO Smith blades, I don't now the version of C542S hub

these propellers are fitted on the P-47 versions according to the batches, what is the serial number which interest you?

But, as Mike wrote " frequently when aircraft were damaged or to upgrade performance", this P47, 44-19776, was seen with 386 fitted in factory then AOS

The distinctive marking of AOS and Curtiss blade asymmetrical are two yellow narrow stripes near the yellow tip for AOS and only one for Curtiss

On the orginal pic, we can guess these two stripes.

The better is to have several picture of the same a/c.

44-19711.jpg

Great info, thanks. The serial number is 275719, and as I mentioned earlier, the decal sheet calls for the 13' symmetrical propeller which seems to be the fatter or wider chord prop blades. After looking through my Academy P-47 kit and haven't found the exact prop called for, it may not even exist in 1/48 scale. It would seem that all the T-Bolts would have paddle blade props by 1944. The search continues I guess.

Cheers

P-47D-15-RE, AAF Serial 42-75615 à 42-75864 (RB) were originally fitted with the blade 714 or 2721200,

During operations, some aircraft will receive a new propeller, as the a/c 42-75815 will be fitted with paddle blade symetric propeller 836

But for the 42-75719: You could use a tooth pick blade it will be correct as the beginning of delivery, and during summer 44 in Corsica, several pic show this ac and this propeller. I think that is blade C2721200

Edited by BS_w

Thanks again for the supporting information, you have quite a data base. This is why I post on this website, so many people with information unavailable to myself. Once again, much appreciated.

Cheers