FROG English Electric P1

Kes

I have been after one of these for quite a while now, whenever one comes up on eBay I put in a bid in the hope of securing a copy of this increasingly rare 1950's classic, I have a strict limit to which I'm prepared to go so when a current 'incomplete' copy came up for auction I considered the collectors would keep away, I only need the two fuselage halves and the canopy the rest I can make up from donor kits, the other bits I don't need!! So after my 'strict' limit was superseded I thought 'what the hey' and up'd my bid to secure it. A few moments ago that was no longer enough!! . . . 'un-believeable!!' there's one 'Buy it now' in Germany at the moment for the best part of £150!

So given the super high prices commanded by this kit would you think there's an opportunity for a short run kit manufacturer or resin casters to produce a modern offering? MPM perhaps?an Xtrakit commission maybe? I could point them in the direction of two very real aircraft to get their information from !!

. . . Kes (admirer of the complete works of Teddy Petter)

• Like 1

Hey David, I have the Merlin vacuform, I rediscovered it after going missing in the stash for a couple of years?? Not sure I have the skills to build it to the standard I'd like? But it's looking like I may have to??

I built the Aeroclub vac in the 90's complete with Airfix F1a wings, it wasn't pretty!!

. . . Kes (who fears vacuform!)

Edited by Kes

As far as I know the original Frog P1A, would have had a solid pilot moulded into his cockpit..poor Roland! It would also have had a very thick canopy. The wings would also be solid, with slots in the lower wing to take the undercarriage. I would say in all honesty the Aeroclub conversion, I have one somewhere, would be an awful lot easier to build than the old Frog kit...and a few quid cheaper too....

Other than that, why not contact the manufacturers yourself to see if they are interested. You never know.....

• Like 1

You're quite right Bill, it's 50's vintage means it is very primitive with just a blob of plastic under the canopy to represent Mr Beamont and solid wings with slots for the basic undercarriage, the canopy isn't too bad, not that I mind, it means I can hide a multitide of sins under there! Ha! there's a build up thread on the old UAMF by Merin Jones, it shows with some work a representative model could be made?

Not sure where I'd get an Aeroclub conversion, is it any better than the Merlin kit?

. . . Kes (who has his Merlin vac to hand right now!)

Hey Nick, that's the fella! where's the canopy? I just need the fuselage halves and canopy, I wouldn't need the rest!! I saw an empty box go on eBay for twenty quid a while back! crazy!

. . . Kes (currently searching for vacuform 'how to's')

Hey Nick, that's the fella! where's the canopy? I just need the fuselage halves and canopy, I wouldn't need the rest!! I saw an empty box go on eBay for twenty quid a while back! crazy!

. . . Kes (currently searching for vacuform 'how to's')

It was complete with all the parts but all I have now is that pic! :-(

Nick

Although it brings with it a whole hot tub's worth of nostalgia to wallow in (like a Frog) the best thing about it unless you just want a retro desk model was really the box art!

Nick

Going from experience with their similar-vintage Sea Hawk and Gannet, I'd bet you'd get shapes and outlines very close to reality. As regards the wheel wells and cockpit, there's nothing a dozen or so of heavy duty grinders won't put right...Though of course as a kit collector, I agree it would be somewhat sacriligeous to biuld a mint example.

Not sure where I'd get an Aeroclub conversion, is it any better than the Merlin kit?

The Merlin kit should be a more or less straight short run copy of the Frog kit, as Mr Espensen apparently did with the Frog Scimitar and a couple of Penguins (Osprey), too.

Going from experience with their similar-vintage Sea Hawk and Gannet, I'd bet you'd get shapes and outlines very close to reality. As regards the wheel wells and cockpit, there's nothing a dozen or so of heavy duty grinders won't put right...Though of course as a kit collector, I agree it would be somewhat sacriligeous to biuld a mint example.

I love early Frog kits ( :clif: ) and agree about the general fidelity of shape. I said the best thing about it not the only good thing! I wouldn't take a grinder to it though but build it as it was meant to be built, complete with stand and nameplate decal.

Nick

Hey Tempestfan, I see, if that's the case you may have saved me a substantial pile of cash!!

I have a Frog Canberra PR7 too, I was considering building that as Frog intended, or . . . as a Stratos 4 TSR2 'what if' kinda thing in antiflash white with lots of RATO, missiles and teeny tiny girlie crew!!

. . . Kes (who's stash is almost complete!)

Edited by Kes

I love early Frog kits ( :clif: ) and agree about the general fidelity of shape. I said the best thing about it not the only good thing! I wouldn't take a grinder to it though but build it as it was meant to be built, complete with stand and nameplate decal.

Nick

I totally agree...mind you that's probably because I have vivid memories (nightmares!) of trying to grind out the wheel wells on an Attacker once.!!!!

Long shot I know but give JohnAero a try since he made the thing. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/user/491-john-aero/

Nick

I see your point in all aspects...The decision to be rude to the Sea Hawk (grinderwise) was easy as it's so easily available as a (post-) Soviet moulding. Doing the P.1 with everything retracted and with an acute angle on that stand is indeed not the worst of ideas. Possibly the best.

Having travelled this road, I found a P1 (cost £55 on ebay) and used the Airfix wings etc. I also managed to use the intake trunking and u/c from the Aeroclub conversion.(I had a Merlin kit and sold it with the remains of the Aeroclub conversion.) Personally, I consider that is the way to go - but - the rear end and tailpipes are wrong, you really need to graft an Aeroclub metal jet pipe surround with some filler/Milliput to get things right.

(Ask me nicely if you get a FROG one :))

Frank

(Hoarder of Aeroclub Lightning bits and assorted unbuilt F Mk1s and T.birds)

Hey bentwater81tfw, thanks for your input, and following on with further research online in the various modeling forums, you're completely right, Aeroclub is the way to go and I have hopes of acquiring one soon through a fellow customer in my local model shop! and for a fraction of eBay rates on the old Frog P1.

The incomplete example up for grabs right now currently stands at £51!! with twenty hours to go!! You know, I'm not going to bother chasing this kit any longer, time to stretch the modeling skills and make the Aeroclub vac conversion my 'Magnum Opus' !! Watch this space!!

. . . Kes (feeling brave!)

• Like 1

I got a complete Frog P1 for less than a 'Tenner' last year! I was going to build it using a donor Airfix kit for the wings etc but now that you've all pointed out it's collectability I'd better leave it for posterity.

I'd love to see a new mainstream injection moulded kit of it released.

Duncan B

You're really not helping Duncan you do know that don't you!

Ha!

It went for £61! For an incomplete kit??

However, today I got an Aeroclub conversion and have made some significant progress! My experience with vacuform is limited so....

... Maybe I should start a build thread?

.. . Kes (vacuform builder! Ha!)

• Like 1