Fiat F2 "Grand Prix" 1907 Pocher K70 - First Prize (Big Scale)

eksund

Hello folks!

As a newbie in the Pocher swamp, I thought it would be correct to start build the first one.

Pocher Fiat F-2 (K70).

I found a picture on scale motorcars showing the model I have chosen to build.

It obviously had it fuel line direct in to the engine bay as the K70.

The later model have their fuel line going through the firewall.

It also have a fuel pump between the seats, instead of the one outside the body.

It also lacks a number of visible fuel lines on the outside of the body.

Sorry for not be able to show you the picture here.

Since I writing in a foreign language I beg forgiveness if it some times make no sense

or my spelling all but right.

It all started at a swap meet i june, where I was to sell a lot of plastic that would never be built,

at least not by me. There was a guy who had a kit by Pocher Alfa Romeo. I must have went past his

sales table at least 50 times, before I finally bought the kit. A few parts where missing but by then

I had established a contact with Peter at pocherpart, who helped me out. He also sold me this kit.

I am not sure if its allowed but I have started a blog where I have some pictures of my attempt to

build the engine. http://pocher.vidarfransson.se

I will try to post pictures direct here in the future, with some explanation. I think the pictures will

speak for themselves. Without the internet and the community I never could have figured out all that

has to be done with this old and quite fragile kit, to get it reasonable correct.

Well, I am in for a great task that will take a lot of time. I get some new ideas the whole time. It is also

a challenge to get all the "home made" stuff to fit together and with the kit.

At least I have started it.

Vidar

Edited by eksund
Header

Welcome to the fold Vidar,

There are several outstanding Pocher builders on this site with a lot of talent to share around.

Your engine pictures look very good.

Have you got the Paul Koo DVD for this kit, it can be found on eBay and you will find it very useful. Also model motor cars produce some very nice upgrade parts for this kit.

Peter at Pocher parts is an invaluable source for missing, damaged and spare parts as well as kits, he provides a fabulous service to the Pocher community.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your build.

Best regards

Keith.

Vidar,

Wonderful to have another Pocher build here - we need our own forum category! Your skill level is high and your work is meticulous.

Everything Keith said is exactly true. Excellent choice getting help from Peter too.

Your English is better than my model building so carry on and post your whole build here. Many talented and experienced Pocher builders here to share methods and ideas.

Welcome.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pocher! I don't have the link handy but, Roy did a rebuild of a rescue Fiat K70 not long ago that turned out great. Maybe Roy or Codger can post the link for your reference. Starting to need a scorecard to keep up with all the great Pocher builds. We will all follow this one as you move through it.

Thank You

I have the DVD:s from Paul Koo and I had find an excellent build blog with every step

in building. But I lost it and can´t find it again.

I have put the engine aside for a few days, trying to restrain myself of overdoing things I

can´t manage. I instead started to clean up some plastic and sorting all the metals in a

plastic box. I have the feel I need to get the engine in the frame to see if it all fits, so that

is my next thing to do.

Another scary thing is the "melting metod". I have not yet tried it, but there is obviously

some benefits.

Still struggling with how to present the pictures in a easy way, but that will come.

I can't find the exact link but, here is the topic and its on page four of the work in progress vehicles here. It will help you for reference on the Fiat Roy rebuilt. On the melting method I just posted something about that on the Bugatti thread. Paul's DVD should also give you as much information as you will need to build the kit and Roy's thread will give you inspiration to do more. I hope this helps.

Pocher Fiat 130 HP - back from the dead...

Started by roymattblack, Jan 24 2015 05:02 AM

Kind of you to mention my Fiat rebuild...

The intention of my efforts was to rebuild a wreck, just using what was there, and not adding too many upgraded bits although I did end up with some wood parts and a bit more engine detail.

Here are the threads if they are of any help:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975263-pocher-fiat-130-hp-back-from-the-dead/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977778-pocher-fiat-130-hp-rides-again/

It will be great to see another old Fiat.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Vidar, I'm a newbie to the Pocher classic kits too. I can tell you that while the melting method looks scary it is actually really easy. Just slightly thread the screw, enough for it to stand on its own. Put the hot soldering iron on the other end of the screw and after a minute the screw will slowly slide into the part. It's really easy and spares a lot of drilling or broken parts.

• Like 1

A bit further! I have struggled with the driving of the rpm cable. There is a belt or wire from the water pump axle. I tried a number of things and are not

in possession of any useable material. But I found that a threaded copper wire looks quite all right. The copper wire has been heat treated before bending.

I have also all my pictures at pocher.eksund.se Welcome to take a look.

144355172672183400_resized.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

After a year with serious health problem I finally got back to my Fiat.

Some work on the engine and the rails. Hopefully I will be able to get the car done

before 2017. The problem with this old kit is that the plastic is so brittle and it is not

very detailed. Not being even a decent scratch builder make me struggle.

Anyway, here is a pic of the engine as it looks now.

147168041722090000_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Vidar, sofar loo​king really good. I hope your health is fine now.

I will be following your build. Keep it coming at the pace you are comfortable with.

• 1 month later...

Slow progress, but ir start to like a car.

But since I can´t let go of things, I had to tie something around the leaf springs.

I guess it was a comon thing to do in the early days of motoring.
The front leaf springs where very to long and the rear springs where just about to long.

But after a few hours I finally got them in place. However, the known problem with the faulty

distance between the screw hole in the rear axle was to be found on my kit also. To correct it, I

glued in a piece of styrene and took the axle to my milling machine. The 127 mm became the

necessary 130 mm between the screw holes.

Another thing that bothered me was the hood. I had to cut it open so it can be opened in a correct way.

I made a simple hinge that I glued in with some ca.

Some pics to view. More as usual here:  http://pocher.eksund.se

Enjoy!

147525274358015600_resized.jpg

147525274467238600_resized.jpg

147525274613690700_resized.jpg

147525274705423600_resized.jpg

Edited by eksund
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi there!

After leaving the car to mature for some months, I thought it is time to take up the building again.

My goal is to have it enough presentable to an exhibition beginning of july.

As usual, nothing fits. Missing link to the chain was replaced by a piece of plsticard.

I also have a habit of doing things in wrong order, resulting in

screw in, screw out, screw in, screw out.......  I also did the paint job way to early.

Well enjoy the pics.

149753301411855900_resized.jpg

149753301455904600_resized.jpg

149753301571091600_resized.jpg

Edited by eksund
  • Like 2

Welcome back Vidal your Fiat is looking very nice! 

Early on I discovered that there were a number of parts that had to go on and off to check for fit and alignment or just because I had gotten ahead of myself. So, I adapted Codger's use of 2mm threaded rod and a nut to replace a 2mm bolt or screw where it taps into the old brittle plastic. It may not be applicable for you but, if you have any parts that fall into this category then you should consider doing that instead of constantly removing screws. It seemed to work much better to be able to remove a nut from the rod rather than fiddling with a screwdriver and having the plastic ruined by the screws being taken in and out repeatedly. I was able to use this method for the body and a couple of areas on the frame but it sure made things easier for me. I just cut the rod to a length that I could get the parts over easily enough and epoxied or glued it in place and then slipped the part over the rod and secured it with the nut. Like I said, there may not be an area where this will work for you but, when you mentioned the on and off of the screws, it reminded me of the rod and nut method and I thought that I would pass it along.

The struggle continue.

Todays task was to fit the damper, the stearing and the starter.

The damper started yesterday with the bending around a piece of steal in correct dimension. Not to hard, despite the screws are a little short.

The stearing is/was a challange. To obtain some room a decided to change my steering ends. A have earlier made shorter and more suitable to my wrapped

leaf springs. Next was to bend a new tie rod between my new steering ends. The new ends required a longer rod. Not an easy task, it took me

two pieces and a number of bendings. And the small connection rod just broke off and to make a new one, took me a while. And after finding the right

length and the right bending it looks like a small snake. But after all it works and the stearing is equal in both directions. Thus it matter? No one will ever se

other than the snake! :-)

Since I choose to add a lot of gear, the shaft does not go thru the engine and forward so I need to solve the starting handle. I choose, correct or not, to simulate a

large spring that hold the starter off the gear when running. A piece of brass tubing and some soldering and some work with lathe solved it. I am rather happy

how it came out.

And finally I find the missing link to the drive chain. But I dont bother to brake it up to replace it. I´ll just paint the plastic link.

Well, as usual, enjoy the pics and feel free to comment.

All pics from the building is here

149778539716704300_resized.jpg

149778539862951500_resized.jpg

149778539760213400_resized.jpg

149778539780722100_resized.jpg

149778539820460700_resized.jpg

149778539845932600_resized.jpg

149778540074090100_resized.jpg

149778539954317800_resized.jpg

149778539985665400_resized.jpg

Edited by eksund

• 2 weeks later...

A short follow up.  Went to a model(car) show. Well all kind of models, but mainly cars and a swap meet as well.

And, I got the organizers prize and won first prize in Big Scale with my first Pocher attempt.

Time to open up and review the started kit (K71) of Alfa-Romeo I bought couple of years ago.

But that have to be in another thread.

Thank You all!