Airfix HP Halifax B.III...... total upgrade.

This is a beautiful model! We can only hope that the upcoming Revell kit looks half as good when it is released.

One small nit, the flap angle and hinge point do not appear to be correct. The Halifax, like the Hampden, had Handley-Page slotted flaps. You can kind of see how these work in the linked image:

http://adg.stanford.edu/aa200b/airfoils2/images/flaptypes.gif

The slotted flap is shown in the lower left corner. Since the hinge point is below the lower surface of the wing, the flap moves down and back when operated to open up a slot between the wing and the leading edge of the flap. The slot gets bigger the more the flap is deflected.

You can see the hinge points in the linked image of the Halifax preserved in Canada:

http://www.williammaloney.com/aviation/RCAFRoyalCanadianAirForceMuseum/HandleyPageHalifax/pages/38HandleyPageHalifaxFlaps.htm

The only picture I could find of a deployed flap is of the unrestored aircraft at Hendon. I assume that the flap is still attached and the hinges are undeformed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peteredin/7946356112

It's not clear to me what the maximum flap angle is, but the cockpit indicator looks like it goes to 80 degrees

By the way, you can find pdfs of the Halifax Pilot's Notes (and many other aircraft) at the following link:

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/170185-british-aircraft-pilots-notes-also-commonwealth-aircraft-too/

These notes have useful images of the various controls and panels as well as operating limits and procedures. Very interesting reading.

Spot on - exactly the same as on the later Hastings which had the same basic mainplane and control surfaces/flaps, indeed, on Malta and Cyprus in the mid sixties, the hydraulic rigs for the Hastings of 70Sqdn were marked "Halifax Aircraft" and both dated "1944". They were not to sure what to do with the adaptors for the gun turrets though !!. Spare flaps held at Safi were dated around the same time frame and marked "Halifax".

The slots in the top of the flaps were for the control rod clearances (there was only one jack which operated push rods) and the flaps drooped to fully down once hydraulic pressure had bled off. The inboard engine fairings on the flaps dropped clear of the fixed portion (although a portion of the flap mounted fairing did slide inside temporarily as the flaps were lowered) on the mainplane as the flaps moved down and aft and the 90 degree angle was the angle of the undersurface of the flap to the ground once fully down - rigged by plumb bob (ask me how I know - WJ328 of 70).

Apart from that, nice model Andy.

HTH

Dennis

• Like 1

Can't add much really. But now that I've retrieved my jaw from the floor...

This is my favorite sort of modelling - getting a classic, long in the tooth old kit and producing something magical from it. And a subject that is dear to my heart too.

Would that I had the time and talent to emulate it!

So, drinks at the Pink Pussycat on me Melchie.

Ian

Edited by IanC
  • Like 1

Thanks again fellas, glad you like the old beast...

Cheers Rick, yep she was quite a machine.....and extremely versatile, flying with Bomber and Coastal Command, Special Duties units, glider tug, air ambulance, general troop transport, armaments and test trials aircraft at Boscombe Down and Farnborough and finally as a civil transport (Halifax and Halton|). Not a bad CV....

VMA131Marine.....thanks for the comments and links, the flaps could be deployed at up to 90 degrees and were quite often seen at this angle when powered down. I have many photos showing this feature, looks quite odd though. The rear of the inner nacelles disappeared inside the main nacelle body at these acute angles.

Here are a few shots to show the angle, (I always try and do my homework before cutting plastic. :winkgrin: .One of the perks of our Bomber Command sig archives)

img059_zpsugrgxv2p.jpg

img060_zpst3rnrid5.jpg

Thanks again...

Melchie

Those are great pictures! Thanks for posting them. Was this the normal flap setting for landing? Looks very "draggy"!

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, very kind of you all,

I've got to be honest Ian and Chris, next to working on resin aircraft my favourite thing in this funny old hobby of ours is renovating these old kits, (got quite a few more to come including a certain Frog tin triangle and a few Matchbox HP crescents). I find them relaxing builds, OK maybe not for a magazine deadline, but generally because only the basics are given they lend themselves to all manor of abuse and once rubbed back down to the bare shell then you have your proverbial blank canvas to work with. Just getting stuck in is the thing. I always have a mental picture as to how it's going to look and try and achieve that as quickly as possible. Funny, I'm working away on a new Italeri Stirling B.Mk1 for our Telford display at the moment and it's taking forever and with so many things to improve on it I think I could have finished an old Airfix jobbie in half the time with a lot less pain......progress eh :confused:

Melchie.....

• Like 2

On thinking about your amazing work and comments on improving the old Airfix Halifax......

“Does progress mean that we dissolve our ancient myths?

If we forget our legends, I fear that we shall close an important door to the imagination”

― Quotation by James Christensen

Legendary work Sir.

• Like 1

Always nice to see the good old Airfix Halifax brought up to standard. Well done Melchie. As a boy I never had heard about it and thought the lanc was all the RAF had. When I first saw the Airfix kit I was hooked, due to the box art too. It was the start of a lifelong fascinating with HP's finest. It resulted in a full size Halifax 3 ( and Hampden) cockpit, fully fitted out.

Next,....the Stirling please.

Cees

• Like 1

General 'Bomber' Melchett has come amongst us once again. It's not the quality of the work, Andy, it's the fact that you achieved all that in just four weeks !!! - Just incredible.

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

That's a super build. However I do have one question. What scale is this aircraft ? I apologize for not being familiar with the Airfix kits. Once again, great job. Thanks for posting. Bob H.

• Like 1

That's a super build. However I do have one question. What scale is this aircraft ? I apologize for not being familiar with the Airfix kits. Once again, great job. Thanks for posting. Bob H.

As the General probably isn't awake yet Bob, it's 1/72nd...

K

• Like 1

Well thank you one and all !...I know the old Halibag is a popular subject, I'm just happy that you like my take on it.

So many kind posts sorry can't reply individually as it would take up another page...

When I first saw the Airfix kit I was hooked, due to the box art too. It was the start of a lifelong fascinating with HP's finest. It resulted in a full size Halifax 3 ( and Hampden) cockpit, fully fitted out.

Next,....the Stirling please.

Hi Cees, Totally agree..in fact it was Roy Crosses amazing box art for the Halifax that got me off on modelling in the first place, as a spotty schoolboy back in 1965, (it's amazing what the visual impact of these images are on a young mind). I'm aware of your amazing work on the cockpits, truly inspirational stuff !.......and yes a Stirling Mk.1 is in the pipeline and 'should' be ready in time for Telford....

Just managed to get reconnected to the outside world Andy after the internet being cut off and what a great time to do so, stunning build. Can't wait to see it on the table :)

Ah the old communication problem eh, wondered where you'd got to Neil when you failed to report back on the Whitley, as I know you're a huge fan of the old jalope !.......

Now about those cream buns, any going to be at Telford.....??!!

Keefy, cream buns will indeed be in attendance in 1/72nd, 1/48th and 1/32nd scales !, might give the plum duff and 'custard' a miss this year though.....

Andy, it's the fact that you achieved all that in just four weeks !!! - Just incredible.

Ian, no one was more surprised than me, other than the editor, who almost passed out. (btw still waiting on the items we mentioned, as soon as I know what's what I'll let you know)....

Thanks Martin I took another batch of photos as I'd added a bit more weathering after the article was published.

flyingpiggy,

too good for a mere mortal to replicate

Not true, anyone can do it with a modicum of imagination, a bit of know how and a fair wind, (oh and a lot of smoke and mirrors !).....to be honest good research is the best tool.

Many thanks again all, hopefully have some more ready for you soon, :cheers:

Melchie

• Like 1