Hawker Typhoon 1B Tropical Trials Unit Conversion - 1:48 Red Roo Models

Hawker Typhoon 1B Tropical Trials Unit Conversion

1:48 Red Roo Models

dt01.jpg

Serious thought was given to the use of the Typhoon overseas once the problems with the engine, and rear fuselage structural problems were resolved. The proposals were first mooted in 1941 but not acted on until Winston Churchill raised the issue of them being used in the MTO. By mid November 1942 the aircraft was ready with a modified air filter being fitted. However due to engine failures and other accidents the programme was delayed. By 1943 three aircraft (R8891, DN323 & EJ908) were fitted with the new experimental filters and ferried out to the Middle East for trials. By the end of September 1943 the protracted trials were considered at an end and the three aircraft released to 451 Sqn for general flying. EJ906 was struck of charge in February 1944 due to a lack of spares, RR8891 was lost when it struck the ground in August 1994, and DN323 was stuck off charge shortly after the crash of R8891 as it was considered no longer worth the trouble of keeping it airworthy! All there aircraft features the scheme of Dark Earth & Light Stone over Azure blue. There seems to be evidence of EJ906 wearing the code letter Y, but none for the other two airframes.

dt02.JPG

The resin part though small is well cast. The decals look well printed, colour dense, and should pose no problems to the modeller. The modeller will have to use the kit, or their own national insigna. . A set of comprehensive notes and instructions are provided in addition to the decals. The conversion is for the 1.48 Hasegawa kit, though the guys at Red Roo tell us they are working on a 1.72 version as well. Highly recommended.

bin-new.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
forum-logo.gif

• Like 2

You think thats bad, I had to go out and buy a kit so I can use these I like them that much. I dont think the hasegawa kit is all that bad.

The Hase Typhoon is pretty good, the multiple boxings are a pain in the bottom, and the wheels wells are wrong.

Jonners did a build with some tweaks which is well worth a read

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929066-hawker-typhoon-hasegawa-148th-with-ultracast-and-scratch-and-a-bloody-big-sharkmouth/

The Hasegawa kit is far from bad, just a little poor fitting in some places, but that's what you get from their modular approach...

I wonder what the shipping from Australia to Sweden might be?

Blackbird Models in the UK stocks Red Roo, which might be cheaper, or ask Red Roo in any Swedish stockists?

I wonder what the shipping from Australia to Sweden might be?

It should be the equivalent of a large letter but we think Blackbird Models might be the right option, as Troy points out above. We don't have a Swedish agent. In fact Blackbird, HPM and Ultracast are our only ones but the occasional bit of Red Roo turns up elsewhere.

Incidentally, we will do it in 1/72 scale also. However the available options, Brengun or CMR may not be the most popular kits around, mainly due to cost considerations - nothing wrong with the kits