1/72 Flower Class Corvette HMS Bluebell.

Clogged

Very nice! :goodjob:

I have a Flower Class Corvette under construction at the moment (along with the Great Little Ships bits and bobs) although it has stalled because my modelling has been on hold for months due to shoulder surgery.

I am not likely to resume construction of my build until the New Year when I should finish my physio but hopefully when I do finally complete my corvette, it will be at least half as good as your smashing build.

Dave

• 1 month later...

A very nice build. Been tempted by this kit several times as it is in my preferred scale but have seen the amount of work required to make it look good and have too many other projects to get to. Maybe one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JP Steve. Do you mean there is a book by Monserrat called the 'Three Corvettes'? I must get a hold of it.

That's right. It was written during the war (1944-45) so some accounts are a bit vague due to censorship, but still good Monsaratt. You might also look out for Hal Lawrence's "A Bloody War" for the Canadian corvette experience.

• 2 years later...

Hi Graham,

I used Fine RUST coloured  EZ line by Berkshirejunction.com.  I copied this info from their website:

Fine .010 (0.25mm) diameter
Recommended for N and HO model railroad scales.  This size works well for other models from 1/350 1/87 scale.

Heavy .020 (0.5mm) in diameter
Recommended for S and O scale, and as high tension wires in HO Scale. Recommended for other scale models from 1/64 1/10 scale.

Being stretchy you can get good tension, and superglue works.  White glue added  later helps to reinforce the cement and can give the apperance of balls etc.

I tend to use uni caenis 20 denier thread by  Uschi van der Rosten as well these days.

49 minutes ago, Clogged said:

Hi Graham,

I used Fine RUST coloured  EZ line by Berkshirejunction.com.  I copied this info from their website:

Fine .010 (0.25mm) diameter
Recommended for N and HO model railroad scales.  This size works well for other models from 1/350 1/87 scale.

Heavy .020 (0.5mm) in diameter
Recommended for S and O scale, and as high tension wires in HO Scale. Recommended for other scale models from 1/64 1/10 scale.

Being stretchy you can get good tension, and superglue works.  White glue added  later helps to reinforce the cement and can give the apperance of balls etc.

I tend to use uni caenis 20 denier thread by  Uschi van der Rosten as well these days.

Thanks for the info.  

Simply stunning.  I've got one of these (the Matchbox boxing) in the loft that I started in the late 70s and then stopped when I joined the Navy.  There's a chap who exhibits at a lot of the local shows around our way who's done a cutaway version with full scratchbuilt interior and every time I see that I keep thinking I should I get it down and restart.  But seeing this actually gives me more inspiration to get it down and see where I've got to and whether its worth trying to restart or just bite the bullet and buy a new one.  Unfortunately its been up there for so long the box has started to deteriorate, its fallen over a couple of times and I'm sure many of the parts are missing. 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 21:24, Clogged said:

I would love to see another 1/72 scale model ship becomes available such as this one (with PE accessories). Maybe a destroyer but no bigger. I dont think anyone would have the room, money, time to build anything bigger! Even a destroyer I guess would be 1 and 1/2 times longer/bigger than a corvette? But how impressive would a 1/72 destroyer look!!

I've seen a build thread on another forum (ATF?) of someone who's building a 1/72 USS ENTERPRISE complete with full air group.  But where do you put something that's nearly 5m long!

• Like 2

On 9/21/2015 at 6:25 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I think they're perfect as it is.

I especially like this little cameo. I wonder what they're talking about.

IMG_0010.jpg

“Bit chilly up here, No. 1”.

The ship’s company figures add a lot - I particularly like the two guys holding their mugs of “kai”.  Great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can only agree with everyone, absolutely stunning modelling. Marine modelling in this scale offers incredible opportunities for detail, and you have shown what can be done, so very well.

Love it!

Terry

• Like 1