1/72 Flower Class Corvette HMS Bluebell.

Clogged

Just completed this Revell 1/72 Flower Class Corvette, based on HMS Bluebell.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0001_1.jpg

Well its a big piece of kit. And I knew this model would require a big commitment. Not just in time but also in expense. The basic kit is basic and poorly scaled. If you were to assemble the model straight from the box you would get an out of scale bath tub toy. There is is a distinct lack of detail, and the plastic parts are far too thick for the 1/72 scale.
Having searched the internet for build logs for this model I quickly discovered that there were a number of ways of approaching the build. Some people just enjoyed creating an out of the box ship model. Some people wanted to create a remotely controlled craft, and finally some would opt for the improved fully detailed version. This is what I did.
Photoetch parts for this kit are available from David Parkins. Figures are available from Gunthwaite and cloth flags from BECC scale model flags.

I used Humbrol enamel paints for the body work, oil paints for the wooden decking, and vallejo acrylics for the figures.
A lot of superglue, plastic glue, epoxy resin and soldering was used to put the whole thing together. Plus a variety of brass wires and EZ Line and suture materials were used for the railings, rigging and main structure supports(eg the pom pom gun stand). Finally a piece of MDF was used for the stand that replicated the plastic stand provided.
Eventually I'll build a Jarrah glass case.

The biggest challenge was the photo etch assembly. Each PE part was a little project in itself. The instructions were sometimes difficult to interpret as they would lack a picture of the desired end result. Hence the need for good references from books such as Anatomy of the Ship Agassiz, and Flower Class Corvettes by John Lambert, and the internet.
On occasion I would in fact re order a photoetch part from D Parkins and remake the item in question.

It was a challenging and satisfying build. Having so many sub assemblies it was more like making a lot of smaller models that all came together on one ship. You have to be prepared for the long haul.

Finally if you can, check out the article in Fine Scale Modeler and the corvette build by Kevin Wenker published in April 2012.
cleardot.gif
Edited by Clogged
  • Like 68

That's a simply excellent model, really like the crew, they really bring it to life!

I have the 'premium' boxing of this monster still in its box - I fear that's where it will stay until it gets sold on - just don't think I have the patience any more to get a result anywhere near as nice as you have...

Stunning ship!

keith

• Like 1

Great build of the Flower, love all the little details like the work on the Oerlikons and 4" mounting. As for the Ships company you can hear the Jimmy barking "SHIPS COMPANY TURNING FORRARD< DIIIIIIIIIIIIIISMISS" The finish on the crew is excellent.

Thanks Guys. I should have included some figures with blue naval uniforms to break up the appearance a little. But they would have been too cold standing on the deck.

I think they're perfect as it is.

I especially like this little cameo. I wonder what they're talking about.

IMG_0010.jpg

• Like 3

Thankyou very much. Appreciate the comments.

Feel free to imagine what the 2 officers on the bridge are discussing. Maybe they're thinking 'when will that scrap heap of a tanker start moving so the convoy can continue!'

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.

I recently read the Cruel Sea by Nicholas Montserrat who actually served on a Flower Class Corvette! What a great read. Then I purchased the film The Cruel Sea which had been digitally remastered. Can't recommend it more highly. Brilliant vision, great encounters with U boats. A must see!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.

I would love to see another 1/72 scale model ship becomes available such as this one (with PE accessories). Maybe a destroyer but no bigger. I dont think anyone would have the room, money, time to build anything bigger! Even a destroyer I guess would be 1 and 1/2 times longer/bigger than a corvette? But how impressive would a 1/72 destroyer look!!