Ju 87 B-2 Stuka ~ Italeri's 1/48 ~ My first GB

As a lurker on the forum for a while now, i decided id like to get involved and share my next build as part of the group build.

I chose the Stuka primarily because having just finished a 109 E3 of Jg51, which was preceded by a 610 Sqn Spitfire, (both circa 1940); i wanted to build something different .

Also I'm only just getting back into modelling and Italeri's Stuka will give me an introduction to PE, of which this kit contains a small amount.

58658534-D4BF-449B-8B1D-DECF84ACA4D5_zps

The above two re introduced me to all the basics, aswell as airbrushing and weathering, many of the skills which were learnt from internet videos and forum posts.

So this is my kit ....

A717CC88-1BB8-4EA0-A96F-B2B40A64BBFC_zps

2A88A25A-11F4-491D-ACB4-55D94820885A_zps

B1FCE9BD-003B-4C7D-B232-2CDCAB7C2430_zps

The Italeri kit seems great in detail, however there does appear to be some flashing on some of the parts, and a somewhat 'agricultural' attachment of parts to sprue ( see wing sprue attachments ) .....

61D78931-3B31-47DC-BF84-3716A5755EED_zps

My version will be from III/StG2, based in France ( Angers) in August 1940. The scheme looks to be a good test of my masking ability and I've most of the needed RLM colours in model air, from my 109 build. Having looked for pictures online, its apparent Italeri don't supply the swastika for the fin with this kit.

First order of the day will be the cockpit, of which ill post updates as it develops.

Comments, criticisms and feedback always welcome, thanks for having me

• Like 6

Thanks Stu

Welcome mate, I'm building one of your Stuka's staffel-mates, the T6+HL B)

Happy building :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, Ive read your x3 build and hopefully i can upscale to their quality!

Made a start on the cockpit, separating parts and initial build up ready for painting. Having built a tamiya and Eduard, was not sure what to expect with Italeri; however the detail looks excellent so far. This is without the PE, so hopefully i can do it some justice with the painting.

8FFECCCE-FDF1-4294-97F1-1EBC5C9FBD35_zps

8533C417-850E-4E7B-9C9A-4EE6D9174AB5_zps

• Like 3

Thanks for the positive comments.

Making progress, all be it slowly, with other commitments.

Primed the cockpit with black, instead of my normal Tamiya light grey primer. thought it would help add some depth when i oversprayed the RLM02.

35896FC4-3738-459E-A4F7-8CA0A7EBAF5F_zps

This was then followed by a coat of RLM 02. I have a new Iwata neo, which i found easy to use ( compared to my previous ancient plastic aztec ), and tried to vary the coat to apply some shading. This was then followed with the brush to pick out instrument and control details, using greys, and the odd red and yellow.

B648C0A2-E6F8-4358-BE93-1AD2F687EBE3_zps

This is my first time using PE parts and having primed and painted as per normal plastic, I've then applied 'pledge' ready for decal application. Do others add decals to the top surface of their PE, or the underlying plastic it sits on, so individual dials are visible. The latter, i surmise, may prove tricky to match decal to PE instrument panel. I have micro sol and set to allow them to bed onto the PE, I'm just concerned having applied to top of PE they may set into the PE and not be central to the instrument face.?

Any tips appreciated here,thanks in advance

• Like 4

Tonights modelling has been spent on the PE parts for the cockpit. I applied decals first, then overlaid the PE instrument panels, somehow managing to get them lined up.

My next challenge has been the seat harnesses. To do this i dry fitted, bending them into position, before removing them and attaching them to a paper clip wrapped in blue tac. Not sure if theres an easier way, but didn't fancy trying to paint them attached to the seats. Im happy, and hopefully can get them onto the seats without messing up paint work with glue and scratches.

D997D0FA-7283-4AAE-B7E4-7E20F85D1F66_zps

• Like 2

Progress been fairly slow, but finally got the cockpit tub finished.

B6D94777-C717-4C1F-8318-24E0F66D24EA_zps

D948CD51-9524-4079-BC88-292817D9A73D_zps

Really pleased with the PE harness straps and instrument panel.

Im ready to move onto the main airframe construction.

Of slight concern for the future is how this tub fits into the fuselage, and that it will form a rather 'thick' skin to the cockpit sides, with the tub sides, as well as fuselage; and the possibility of having to fill the join between the two if they aren't flush.

• Like 5

My build is continuing, all be it at a relatively slow pace.

Having finished the cockpit tub i moved onto the main airframe assembly. Quite a few of the parts contained flashing, from the moulding process, particularly the wings; and I've tidied them up, which has taken some time.

EE6D4CB1-083E-4292-803E-A81C570D533B_zps

Everything has been dry fit and taped, only because i'm concerned about fitting issues. Having built Eduard and Tamiya, the Italeri seems a little inferior, however the general detail is very good.

I've moved out of sequence with the plans as a result, building up the engine and front cowling. I'm not exposing the engine but the detail was excellent within; although it may be that one side of the engine cowling would have to be cut into individual pieces if i went down that route.

Again the fit, ultimately wasn't too bad ....

E7D0EF02-E670-4A90-A5FD-FCB08D744D94_zps

I had to tidy some joins with sanding and only a small amount of filling, as can be seen near the front upper air intake. This was done with a quick mask and some vallejo plastic putty. Ill let this fully set before i move on.

B4423447-F1B3-4E45-BF3A-0754E16AB7F1_zps

The builds still enjoyable and i think I'm on schedule to get finished. Hopefully, its only minor filling and filing, which is all to be expected in a kit.

Thanks for your comments; any feedback or guidance greatly accepted.

• Like 3

My build continues, but its been fairly tough going. The detail on the Italeri plastic moulding is excellent but I've found the fit not quite up to the same standard. The vast majority of joins had needed work for an acceptable fit.

DE93743F-73BB-4B7E-B1D6-26A1F3CD9366_zps

As can be seen above, as an example when the engine was attached to the fuselage, its a great fit on one side but just out of alignment on the other ....

DAAE0D83-76BF-49D5-B333-449B2A53BDDD_zps

Its not too hard to correct with a small amount of filler and various sanding gradients, but has been time consuming allowing putty to set.

The wings were pretty good and only the smallest amount of correction was needed.

BE4797D6-808B-4630-B77E-69D56D754A8F_zps

4697F87B-49F3-4AE2-BD8B-125A222773B4_zps

Again the forward canopy was masked and I've needed to fill on both sides along with a moulding hole on part on the plastic; fortunately not a transparent part.

E1C5735C-0D0B-4E11-A871-6EE3E3B1AFF7_zps

823235E2-F627-4CA7-B997-A3C5341F3FC8_zps

Its certainly a challenging kit for my ability level, but hopefully all the more rewarding once its done. Whilst the latest round of filler dries I'm moving onto masking the canopies. The front section had very poor raised detail on the canopy making locating the glass edges difficult; but having checked the further three pieces they seem to be better made, all be it with multiple small pieces of window !!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of an update; and moreover that i'm going to miss the deadline for the GB !!

My build still continues all be it at a slower pace than anticipated, with normal life getting in the way, lol

D2A434C6-9318-4F86-8C4D-A0559D062D37_zps

I managed to get the forward canopy filled and filed up to a smooth fit. Used vallejo plastic putty but upon reflection should probably have used some more substantial filler for the task or fitted a small piece of plasticard to better the job.

Rudder and horizontal stabilisers were fine and a niece PE detail for them.

Undercarriage went pretty much how the rest of the kit has gone. Almost a good fit, but ultimately various sanding has been needed to get a decent join.

A9131AD7-C908-4CDD-98E9-01FEF8BC8233_zps

8E43D3B3-B39C-4674-B2F6-A3D1DEEF8318_zps

Ive not secured the undercarriage assembly in order to aid in the painting later on.

Ive detail parts to add to the wings, mask off the cockpit, and I'm good for an initial coat of primer to see how she looks.

C & C always welcome

• Like 2