1/72 Ukrainian Sukhoi T-50

Madhatter

Hi everyone

While I wait for my lighting boards to arrive, I thought I would join in this GB - especially as it's my favourite type of subject - WIF!!! I'd be kicking myself if I didn't enter in it

I've chosen to build Revell's boxing of the T-50. It'll be in-flight as well. Yay :)

The back story? Well, pretty lame I'm afraid - Ukraine and Russia kissed and made up and Ukraine bought some T-50's to update their aging fleet of SU-27's.

There. Done :)

I'm just not one for inventing convoluted stories - I appreciate and admire those who can though. I just like painting subjects in what ever scheme I think would look cool.

As for the model itself - well, it's very, very basic to say the least. But then it is 1/72, so one shouldn't expect too much.

The surface feels quite rough - not smooth, which is something I find a little weird. As I mentioned before, I'm making it in-flight, so of course, the gear bay doors are less than mediocre in fit. I have yet to find one plane where the gear doors fit flush with the fuselage when closed. It's obviously made to be displayed with the gear down, but like the Raptor (F-22), it looks fornicatingly ugly when it's sitting on the ground. There is plenty of fixing up to do in these areas and the putty tube will be getting a work out

IMG_1850_zps6gw6jfcl.jpg

IMG_1851_zpsgijy1wvh.jpg

I've also decided to paint the engine area first - just to be different. Once it's all dried and sealed, I'll paint the rest of the plane.

IMG_1852_zpsawvvtfzh.jpg

As you can see, my air-brush had a spit whilst trying to carefully lay on some Polished Aluminum

IMG_1854_zpsoccktf1d.jpg

IMG_1845_zpswsexnt50.jpg

Lastly, quite possibly one of the most bring cockpits I have come across on a model in a very long time:

IMG_1856_zpshxhkmuv6.jpg

IMG_1855_zpsglcbjgry.jpg

IMG_1853_zpsg0ims7rp.jpg

On the subject of painting, I'm going to make this a splintered one - based loosely on the SU-27 and in the digital camo colours. I bought some AKAN paints some time ago for my 32nd SU-27, but I decided not to use them on that aircraft and save them for something else. I've had this idea for the T-50 ever since I first saw it on the shelves a year or so ago, so it'll be a fitting use for them

Anyways, that's all for now, but I will be back again soon enough

thanks for looking

MH

• Like 1

Cool! If you want a more in-depth back story I can do it for you (since you already have the photos, my conditions WON'T apply to you)

chomp chomp

-raptor

Thanks mate. If you'd like to, be my guest.

Well, I got the base coat down and the first alternate colour of the splinter scheme:

IMG_1864_zpsfziaut8r.jpg

Just need to re-paint one of the tail fins and then I will lay on the next colour. I am loving these AKAN paints!! Very easy to use and if they need to be thinned, just use Tamiya lacquer thinner - works a treat!

I am also thinking I might add some weapons to this - just to make it look a bit meaner. I have no idea where this plane would store weapons - unlike the F-22 which hides the sparrows on the inside, this seems to have no place to hide them. There looks to be missile mounting points on the wings, so I'll just use them. Forgoing stealth, I reckon some missiles would look the part. What do you think?

IMG_1865_zpsagwd22me.jpg

thanks for looking

MH

• Like 2

Nice work, love the blue colours! The weapons bays are internal like the F-22, however not definitely known as of yet I think,

http://www.migflug.com/jetflights/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/sukhoi_pak_fa_T-50-1_8.png

Though I think it also has the weapon hard points like you have in non stealth mode though! The internal missiles are different however with fold out fins.

look forward to more, cheers

David.

Browsing the magazine section of my local supermarket earlier this evening and there was a photo of two T-50 taking off with underwing missiles clearly being carried - think it was Airforces Monthly but foolishly I didn't check.

Nice work, love the blue colours! The weapons bays are internal like the F-22, however not definitely known as of yet I think,

http://www.migflug.com/jetflights/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/sukhoi_pak_fa_T-50-1_8.png

Though I think it also has the weapon hard points like you have in non stealth mode though! The internal missiles are different however with fold out fins.

look forward to more, cheers

David.

Browsing the magazine section of my local supermarket earlier this evening and there was a photo of two T-50 taking off with underwing missiles clearly being carried - think it was Airforces Monthly but foolishly I didn't check.

MOAAAR background research for this back-story. Bring it on! :evil_laugh:

Well, the painting is all but done. I am now waiting for it to finish drying, then I'll put it all together and then decal it (once they turn up that is)
I leave it to you to judge whether or not it's good but I'm pretty happy with how it's all come out and looks like I had in my head.

IMG_1964_zpsjfmuqc2b.jpg

IMG_1966_zpsz0kswvps.jpg

IMG_1967_zpsywxvg1pe.jpg

IMG_1968_zpsbequn7gy.jpg

IMG_1971_zpsai7c0g6m.jpg

Well, that's it for now. The next update should be the finished item
thanks for looking

MH

• Like 3

and finished:

IMG_1989_zpsmkxjinf2.jpg

IMG_1991_zpscdlodhip.jpg

IMG_1992_zpsny5etvbx.jpg

IMG_1995_zpsfvj0b8p1.jpg

IMG_1997_zpsgctauzje.jpg

IMG_1999_zpsdithlm7i.jpg

IMG_2000_zpsle7tnjrn.jpg

IMG_2001_zpspw5btz52.jpg

And with the other splintered aircraft I have:

IMG_2006_zpssymtrzra.jpg

I'll add some pics into the Gallery section shortly

Thanks to those who looked in and commented

See you around

MH

• Like 3

Very very nice, loved following the build of this one. The paint scheme is amazing and I hope to be able to get something like that done one day. :)

I love the Yellow 13 too, spent many hours shooting him down. :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz