Tim's F-8J - BEAR * Complete *

Following on from my Cessna FAC - I'm diving straight back in with this MiG killer Crusader.

S5000282_zpsiorbfdki.jpg

Intending to build this option, virtually straight from the box.

101_7025_zpsydmc7vzk.jpg

So here's a view of the parts.

101_7026_zpslhc1xhis.jpg

Why did I say straight from the box? Planning to modify that wing to fully drooped flaps and slats.

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 2

Yes you are correct in saying it is VF-211 which is a Fighting Checkmates scheme. I think the confusion comes from both squadrons being on the same carrier. The thing I'm not sure about is 112 being a MiG Killer. VF-211 scored most of their kills flying the E version of the Crusader. There is one account of a VF-211 F-8J engaging a MiG and the number is quoted as 101. However, the kill wasn't credited as before the pilot could launch his Sidewinder the MiG pilot ejected from his plane.

I had wondered why this 'kill' was not mentioned in my Crusader book, and my Vietnam book.

Researching this 'plane - I found it referenced on a MiG killers decal sheet.

It would have been the first Crusader kill for about 3 years, and was right at the supremacy of the Phantom.

Some confusion comes from both VF-211 and VF-24 having chequers in their schemes, and the photos all being monochrome.

Airbrushed the white tonight - so you wouldn't notice much difference.

So here's my previous Crusader form - all 1/72.

Hasegawa F-8E built about 1988.

101_7051_zpslcaifcta.jpg

Another Hasegawa built around 2000, need to droop the leading edge for this one.

101_7050_zpshmsm4gwu.jpg

An Esci F-8 with Final Touch conversion to an RF-8G, and Talisman decals.

mansrf8a_zpssycimq9e.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

Airbrushed H166 grey earlier this morning - it's resting in the sun now.

Revisiting my Crusader book, I've found that models A-E were first generation, and those afterwards were

re-manufactures - almost Crusader IIs.

All new 4000 hour wing, and slightly longer nose leg strut.

The J also had Boundary Layer Control, also used on the (FN) to reduce carrier approach speed (is this sounding familiar to the Phantom?!?) requiring larger horizontal tailplanes (which are in the kit).

Photos, hopefully later tonight.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

Declaring completion.

Finished a few minutes ago.

Heller-F8-J-Crusader.jpg

Heller-F8-Crusader.jpg

An interesting feature of this kit, that I've not seen with others is the airbrake, which I've depictedslightly open, as seen in a few photos.

As we know jet engines don't spool up very quickly, so navy planes land at full throttle with the airbrake open. Bolter, well the engine is already at max - so retract the airbrake and fly away. Easy.

So LTV's decision to put the airbrake in the belly - where it can't be used for landing is, well mysterious to me. Can anybody explain.

101_7074_zpsrvxs4w1y.jpg

Gallery photos at the weekend - if the light is good.

• Like 2