RAF Series 3 Land Rover

bar side

An appeal for help from anyone who would know. I have got an Airfix 1/43 scale Land Rover 109 4 door station wagon for a diorama I am building. I just wanted to check if in the late 70's / 80's the RAF used 4 door Land Rovers on UK airfields, or if they were all 2 door?

There is a good chance the body could be suitably modified to a two door, but life would get easier if they did use the 4 door.

All the Landrovers ( long and short)I saw in the RAF between 79-91 were two door with normally a canvas tilt and occasionally a hard tilt.

I think the Mountain rescue teams may have had a four door, but I can't be 100% sure.

Selwyn

Have a browse on here if you register with them

I am sure you will find something either as a service vehicle or general hack !! I would imagine the RAF must have used a good few stationwaggons given that the Landrover has been in service with all arms of the forces in most, if not all of their guises !!!

The Airfield Information Exchange

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?6345-Land-Rovers-in-RAF-service&highlight=landrover

That link should give you info on Landrovers used !!

Hope you find what you looking for

Nige

Cheers guys. I'll have a good look through that link NIge - think I am registered on there already.

It was this pic on the Brunty thread that got m thinking:

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww142/PhantomPhil/Cold%20War%20Jets%202012/DSC06701.jpg

Might have to get the filler out & be a bit creative

• 1 month later...

IIRC, ( :clif: + after effects of too much avpin sniffing), all the Landies, be it blue or green, where two door, be they dinkies, (SWB, 2 door), or longs, (LWB,4 door).

Most where canvas topped, with some hard tops. The RAF Regiment's vehicles where usually topless, (Oooh Matron!).

The only caveats that I can remember were; from my time on MRT, (mountain Rescue Team), we had 4 door LWB,s with a full roof size roof rack, a large sign on the front stating RAF Mountain Rescue plus the ubiquitous flashing light and at least one Station Commander, (RAF Catterick? IIRC, see above), who had a 4 door LWB as his personal run-around.

HTH!

Christian exiled to a rainy dark continent

Edited by wyverns4

Hello mate ..four door hard tops where fairly common on flying stns..green or black and green with day glow orange strip or yellow strip along the sides ,used by eng section, RAF police ,flight line RAF Regiment we only operated 109/88 types all canvas tops unless stripped for field ops several hard tops used by hq flight .later these changed to 90/110.

Hope this helps

Terry

Thanks guys. I ended up converting the airfix 1/43 station wagon to a 2 door hard top with the help of some filler & plasticard. Thinks its come up ok. Pics are on my HAS build thread in the diorama area:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987185-building-a-has/page-5

Somewhere I have a pic I took i 1988 of a 4 door hard top station wagon S3, on which the only thing that distinguishes it as military is the number plate. Photographed at the bottom of the north side of Ben Nevis, so it might have been MRT related or it might have been something more stealthy

• Like 1