Dogfight Double - 30 August 1940

It's about time I presented my build thread here - especially as I am one of the co-hosts!

I will be building a Spitfire and Bf109 in 1/48 to represent the aircraft involved in an engagement which took place over Kent on 30 August 1940.

Sgt Ronald Hamlyn of 610 Sqn was bounced by Oberfeldwebel Karl-Heinz Harbauer of JG2. Harbauer misjudged his approach and overshot Hamlyn, who wasted no time in shooting him down. Harbauer's aircraft burst into flames and he baled out. Sadly his parachute failed to open and he was killed.

The engagement was depicted in a memorable painting by Troy White entitled "Sod Off!".

http://www.starduststudios.com/ronnie-hamyln.html

The link gives a lot of interesting information about Hamlyn. Hamlyn was one of the first "aces in a day" when he shot down five enemy aircraft on 24 August 1940, all while awaiting a charge of negligence to be heard by his CO!

• Like 3

I know what you mean Enzo, I'm looking forward to seeing the 1/72 Eduard Spitfire I when it comes out; there is nothing wrong with the Airfix one, but I don't mind being spoiled for choice at all :lol:

Are Ofw. Harbauer's markings available in a transfer set?

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Are Ofw. Harbauer's markings available in a transfer set?

Not that I am aware, but I have done a bit of research and I reckon that I have a good understanding of the scheme and can represent it with the kit decals and some from the spares box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I suppose I had better crack on with documenting this build.

These are the kits and other stuff that I'll be using.

DD001.jpg

Sprue shots for the Eduard Bf109E

M001.jpg

M002.jpg

M003.jpg

M004.jpg

M005.jpg

And for the Airfix Spitfire I. As you can see I had already started this kit. I had only got as far as building the seat before other things overtook it, so I'm going to count that as less than 25% :)

S001.jpg

S002.jpg

S003.jpg

S004.jpg

The Bf109E cockpit, built straight from the box. Sadly the carpet monster laid claim to both the trim wheels, so they are conspicuous by their absence. Damn you, carpet monster! :angry:

M006.jpg

M007.jpg

The fuselage closed up. One has to be a bit careful with the cowling, which is designed to have the engine in place to provide the exhaust stubs. I omitted the engine and will use some Quickboost exhausts.

M008.jpg

The wings assembled - and badly out of focus. Or was it the :beer: ? :lol:

M009.jpg

Assembled and ready for priming

M010.jpg

... and primed with Alclad2 grey primer.

M011.jpg

• Like 1

On with the Spitfire.

The cockpit components sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1010 and weathered with Flory grime wash. The seat harness is by Eduard.

S005.jpg

S006.jpg

S007.jpg

The wing interior

S008.jpg

And the fuselage in the process of construction.

S009.jpg

Fuselage and wings assembled and ready to go together.

S010.jpg

And main assembly completed

S011.jpg

S012.jpg

• Like 2

Back to the 109.

Sprayed overall with Lifecolor UA-503 RLM 65

M012.jpg

M013.jpg

Wing and fuselage uppersurfaces sprayed with Lifecolor UA-504 RLM 02

M014.jpg

Disruptive pattern added with Lifecolor UA-502 RLM 71

M015.jpg

And finally a heavy mottle of RLM 02 added to the fuselage sides. Although I don't have definitive references for this aircraft, I know that other aircraft of JG2 had similar mottling.

M016.jpg

M017.jpg

• Like 1

Spitfire again.

Primed with Alclad2 black primer. Why black? Well... scarily I was running out of any primer so I went for the most abundant colour. I would have preferred grey, but needs must when the :devil: vomits into your kettle.

S013.jpg

Sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1002 Dark Earth

S014.jpg

The camouflage is marked out with wiggly worms of Blutak. If you are going to use this method, I strongly recommend that you use actual Blutak. White Tak or Sellotac are far too sticky and do not release cleanly from the painted surface. The longer you leave it on, the worse it sticks. Go for Blutak every time.

S015.jpg

The Dark Earth areas are masked with Copydex and the green is sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1001.

S016.jpg

All masking removed and the undersurfaces sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1007 Sky

S017.jpg

S018.jpg

And we're pretty much up to date on the Spitfire.

• Like 4

Hi Enzo,

another great duo!

I am more interested in your 109 (not that I do not like Spitfires!) as I am busy building one too.

So far you are doing a fantastic work.

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

A quick update for the 109.

I have always had problems with spraying acrylic yellow as it always ends up translucent. I eventually put on too many coats and it ends up with a ridge against the masking tape. So this time round I sprayed the yellow bit with Fiat Broom Yellow from a rattle can. The yellow is far too bright so it is just an undercoat to get the coverage, I sprayed over the top with Xtracrylix XA1213 RLM 04.

M018.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...