Dragon 1/144 Boeing 747-400 KLM new colours

Timo

While the iconic Boeing 747 is rapidly disappearing from our skies, its still an impressive subject to model. KLM still has a sizeable fleet of 747s which it is currently repainting into its updated livery introduced in 2014. This new KLM scheme is simply an adaptation of its previous livery with a wavy line around the nose and a white underside instead of light grey.

B744-KLM_1.jpg

This is the Dragon kit. It normally has a high price tag as it come with a visible interior with huge detail. But having got hold of one quite cheaply I opted to fill and paint over all the clear panels to produce a standard 747-400 model. I think it is quite a good representation of the 747-400 and even comes with a set of passenger steps. The kit does have some issues - particularly the tail fin, flap fairings and gear doors - which I've tried to fix. The interior still has to be fitted to ensure the fuselage is rigid enough to support the weight of the wings.

With no decals yet on the market for this new scheme, I've had to improvise. The KLM logos are from Draw Decal, 747 detail from Flying Colours with the cheatlines and other logos being home made. KLM blue and Boeing grey paints are from Xtracolour.

B744-KLM_2.jpg

B744-KLM_3.jpg

B744-KLM_5.jpg

B744-KLM_4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim

• Like 22

Very nice!

The kit does have some issues - particularly the tail fin, flap fairings and gear doors - which I've tried to fix.

What is the problem with the fin?

To me the most visible issue is engine blades

The interior still has to be fitted to ensure the fuselage is rigid enough to support the weight of the wings.

That is not necessary. I built mine completely hollow

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977364-1144-dragon-boeing-744-virgin-atlantic/

A beautifully made model and a real tribute to the Boeing Queens which as you say, are slowly disappearing from our skies.

You've really turned out a smashing model here - in particular the add-lib livery

Smashing diorama presentation - something you must be justifiably very proud to show off to us

Thanks for sharing

What is the problem with the fin?

Hi, thanks for your post.

The leading edge of the tail fin on the Dragon kit is just way too thick and I've sanded it to make it much sharper.

Regarding fitting the interior as a 'fuselage strengthener', I'd found during a test fit that the fuselage flexed a bit. So I installed the interior structure as a safeguard in case of any flexing once fully assembled - maybe a bit 'over the top'.

Thanks again

Tim

You also mentioned the gear doors, what was the issue there?

Hi, thanks for your post.

Most of the kit's gear doors are totally wrong (shape and size) - the best option is to scratch build using a Revell kit as a template.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1