1/100 EX-36 Cosmo Tiger II by Bandai

Well after a much needed break from modelling for a couple of months (first one in about 6 years of going project to
project!) I've made a tentative return to the bench with a Cosmo Tiger II, I got the kit after seeing a lot of Space Battleship
Yamato inspired stuff in the Sci Fi Group Build in June.

Feeling pretty pumped about this one, seems like a cool little model.

20150721_132921_zpsml90joeb.jpg

Just going OOB with this one, the kit allows for various versions to be made, allowing for the single seater fighter verson or the 2 seater with a turret gunner. I'm going for the latter, the turret is really cool.

So its time for good old sprue cutting!

20150721_132803_zpstzlpkwtq.jpg

20150721_133558_zpsyndwfd5g.jpg

20150722_133525_zpsnxf7n7bb.jpg

Want to build as much as I can before hitting the paint stage, got the body together, there are the two bits that stick out at the back which are designed to be held in place when the body goes together. But as these are red I cut the plastic to allow them to be inserted after painting to save on masking, also did the same thing for the engine cover which slots in front.

20150915_130920_zps5qyfwa6t.jpg

20150722_133533_zpsqwzkaatj.jpg

Got the missiles/bombs stuck in place, again there is an option to add two large torpedos but I've stuck with the classic look, will sand out the seams later before painting.

20150723_132811_zpsfnpu3bog.jpg

Then the top and bottom fins were glued in, as were the landing gear covers, going for the in flight look, with pilots, its got to be played with! haha

20150915_132416_zps5aniihug.jpg

20150916_132631_zps38ofj0vg.jpg

Nose cone bits were added, think these are laser cannons (I've never actually watched much of the show!)

20150915_132123_zps6kmj1ssg.jpg

Then I want to get cracking on the cockpit to get the front end together, hit it with primer then sprayed some black over it and into the inside of the front end as some of it is visible when inserted.

20150915_134131_zpsq6y9zbxj.jpg

20150916_131701-1_zpsk0fb9zut.jpg

Made a small start painting it, just got the side consoles painted white, when dry I'll use a wash on it and add further details. And I got the tiny pilots and chairs glued onto a ice lolly stick for ease of paining.

20150916_133810_zpsrhzbzgjd.jpg

20150916_132114_zpsquswu9go.jpg

So thats where I'm at at the minute, next up I'll be continuing with the cockpit and pilots, and will get the seams from missiles sanded out.

Thanks for looking, more soon :)

• Like 3

Great choice Hunter! It's one of my favourite fighters of be Earth ships too, although I like the black and yellow scheme more than the one shown on the box.

Looking forward to seeing more

Si

I've always shied away from the 1:100 scale ships because I thought the detail would be non-existent. This goes to show it isn't, but as I'm stuck in the 1:72 rut now with the kits I've got (Apart from my 1:48 Hase Valkyrie), I'll just watch this build and try not to yield to temptation :unsure:

looks good - I don't know the series or the craft but I am going to do my research and get myself a Friday "Good Learn"

Thanks dude, yeah I'm no expert on the series either just really liked the look of it, I've watched a few since buying the model its pretty good classic anime

Great choice Hunter! It's one of my favourite fighters of be Earth ships too, although I like the black and yellow scheme more than the one shown on the box.

Looking forward to seeing more

Si

Cheers Si, while not a scheme in the box I was actually really tempted to do in the red and beige of the electra torpedo bomber, but I have to say I prefer the classic style rounded looking torpedos to the sharper more modern ones in the box so decided against it.

I've always shied away from the 1:100 scale ships because I thought the detail would be non-existent. This goes to show it isn't, but as I'm stuck in the 1:72 rut now with the kits I've got (Apart from my 1:48 Hase Valkyrie), I'll just watch this build and try not to yield to temptation :unsure:

Thanks Mike, its funny while I started many moons ago as a kid with 1/72 I've always steered well clear of it now in favour of larger scales, so I find it funny I've hopped into the even smaller scale! And yeah your right this as a crazy amount of detail for the size and the way its been moulded and how they've designed it with minimal seam lines is really top notch. If your interested there in a larger scale bandai do a 1/72 cosmo falcon and its pretty sweet!

Got a bit of shed time yesterday so was able to make more progress, got the seats painted in red and gray, on the box they are just black but I went for red for a bit of interest.

20150920_141314_zpsebybub32.jpg

20150920_142139_zpszjfgkwg1.jpg

And got a little more done with the figures too, man they are fiddly as hell! Painted the boots and gloves gray and gave them yellow cuffs and they have a tiny yellow arrow on their chest which went on okay but I'll neaten it up with some black later.

20150920_141332_zps1xmqtlfz.jpg

20150920_143934_zps6kcfycbd.jpg

20150920_143944_zpsojbeyuit.jpg

As you can see I also blobbed in the basic face colour, when I paint the helmets I'll neaten that up too and try to add some detail.

Did a little more work on the cockpit, a little dry brush in grey and some dots of red and yellow on the control consoles, and the good thing about this is you can fit the seats, pilots and front control console after its in the front end, so I was able to get that together too.

20150920_144015_zpsvpsvnez0.jpg

20150920_144942_zpsue1ysa8p.jpg

And as I said its gear up for this one, so I put the covers in place and got the back section on too.

20150920_144950_zpsdrgr1qjl.jpg

20150920_145114_zpssmucgctg.jpg

For now I also got the rear turret together and painted and dry brushed the bits that go behingd the clear sections on the fron, I'll pick out some detail before I get them in place just for a bit of visual interest.

20150920_142640_zpsh1qtsguf.jpg

20150920_144559_zpsydni4pp8.jpg

Next Up I'll finish the figures, and although not shown I've sorted the missiles so I can start spraying some blue after priming the main sections.

Trying to get this sorted asap, my son is a week overdue to be born so I'm on borrowed time and may have to shoot off at any minute!!

• Like 1

The detail in that painting is great, especially given the size :)

I was reading elsewhere that this kit can be build as an Electra rather than a Tiger, that there are alternate nose and cockpit parts for the more blunt strike bird rather than the pointy fighter. That said the fighter style fuselage in my view is much better looking :)

Colour wise apart from grey at least one Squadron flew in green and grey camo :)

edfctfmk3.jpg

And good luck on the family front!

Edited by Misrule
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any movement on this one Hunter?

Yeah sorry for the delay, my son was born last week, so I've had my hands full! :)

Okay so I actually managed to grab some shed time between nappy changes, so I started by finishing off the figures.

I painted the red of the helmets, then when dry I blobbed on some yellow dots for the sides and the blue of the visor. And the final step was a grey dry brush over the black parts of the pilot suit.

20151005_131752_zps88ja5lvs.jpg

20151005_131814_zpsklhsayti.jpg

Then I decided to paint the seats a lighter red more like the helmets, didn't like the burgundy much.

20151005_131834_zpss6fw0egk.jpg

And now the little gunner figure is done I could get him and his seat glued into place on the turret, the back section of the gun was given another dry brush with a lighter grey, just to differntiate a bit between turret and barrels

20151006_134247_zpsfnqnagqw.jpg

20151006_134259_zps6138jjbh.jpg

I really want to get cracking with the main body painting, so I masked out the cockpit with some white tack, and then primed the body bits and got the nosecone on

20151005_132718_zpscrzs3knz.jpg

20151005_133049_zpswn6anibw.jpg

20151005_133228_zpseyeo9ly9.jpg

20151006_134547_zpss77iz6uk.jpg

Forgot to take a pic, but the missiles are sorted now too, so next up I'll mix up a blue and spray all the bits.

• Like 5

Congratulations on the birth of your son first :clap2: I remember the early days 5 years ago, when you actually got peace and quiet for around 2 hours at a time between feeds. The downside was that included the full 24 hour spectrum :doh:

Snatch those moments of peace when you can - it's coming along now, and I'm looking forward to seeing the airframe completed :)

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new arrival! Great excuse for not being able to do a lot ;) I believe in not giving parental advice but when burping, always have a cloth over your shoulder. Trust me. It'll save having to change your shirt each time :)

Si

• Like 2

Congratulations on the birth of your son first :clap2: I remember the early days 5 years ago, when you actually got peace and quiet for around 2 hours at a time between feeds. The downside was that included the full 24 hour spectrum :doh:

Snatch those moments of peace when you can - it's coming along now, and I'm looking forward to seeing the airframe completed :)

Thanks Mike, I already have a 3 year old daughter, so the moments of peace are now few and far between! :lol:

Congratulations on your new arrival! Great excuse for not being able to do a lot ;) I believe in not giving parental advice but when burping, always have a cloth over your shoulder. Trust me. It'll save having to change your shirt each time :)

Si

Thanks Si, Haha yeah I've been thrown up on a lot, standard practice! I actually now use the 'on my knee at arms length' technique! :D

• Like 1

Sorry I haven't commented on this before - I thought I had but obviously not. I like your work on the tiny pilots and the side consoles are really detailed - I thought they were decals at first and then remembered the EX kits hardly ever have any.

And more importantly big congratulations on the new arrival! All that parenthood doesn't seem to be slowing you down much :)

Cheers,

Will

Congrats Hunter on the new arrival, like what youve done with the tiger.

All the best to you and your other half.

As you already have a 3 year old, you know the old addage of you spend the first 2 years teaching them to walk and talk and the following 16 years telling them to shut up and sit down LOL

Sorry I haven't commented on this before - I thought I had but obviously not. I like your work on the tiny pilots and the side consoles are really detailed - I thought they were decals at first and then remembered the EX kits hardly ever have any.

And more importantly big congratulations on the new arrival! All that parenthood doesn't seem to be slowing you down much :)

Cheers,

Will

Thanks Will! Glad it looks like i'm making progress, doesn't feel like it at the minute, but what speed I do have is thanks to my understanding wife :lol:

Congrats Hunter on the new arrival, like what youve done with the tiger.

All the best to you and your other half.

As you already have a 3 year old, you know the old addage of you spend the first 2 years teaching them to walk and talk and the following 16 years telling them to shut up and sit down LOL

Cheers Chris, haha yeah that sounds about right!

Managed to snag some shed time, and have actually managed to get some time to update my progress!

Started by mixing up my blue, I used tamiya sky blue and sky grey to make the toned down blue of the tiger. Wanted to keep it more on the blue side compared to the box photos, to keep it more like the classic anime look (to me anyway!)

20151008_131200_zpsa230fjta.jpg

So then I could get all the blue bits painted with my airbrush

20151008_133321_zpsbumfo9rb.jpg

20151008_133409_zpscioloptz.jpg

Once dry I painted an acrylic mix of black/silver/brown over the engines, this will be dry brushed when dry and then the engine cover can go on.

20151013_132811_zpsm04rvsla.jpg

Then I masked out the black stripe that goes from the cockpit to the nose cone, sprayed it with black vallejo as it was out on the bench,

20151013_133825_zpsen813qwp.jpg

Couldn't resist also taking off the cockpit mask too as its in no danger now, also hand painted the small section at the back of the cockpit black.

20151013_134343_zpsxlib7ttm.jpg

20151013_134517_zpsoxnnqqwj.jpg

20151013_134527_zpsbwfbbvqg.jpg

I've started cutting and cleaning up the clear parts, really need to get the turret dome sorted so I can get it in place and then whack the airframe together.

20151008_133952_zpsgwcoyuag.jpg

So thats what I'm doing next, as well as spraying the red on the missiles, nose tip and pointy rear engine parts

Thanks Mike! Yeah i finally feel like I've hit my stride with this build.

Just a tiny update, snuck back in the shed and got the guys in the cockpit, Im pretty happy with it so thought id share

20151013_162158_zps7vmhllqv.jpg

20151013_162214_zpsngshlija.jpg

Just working on.the control console for the front of the tub and that's the interior done!

• Like 1

Congratulations on the birth of the little one, Hunter Rose! You got a little pair of hands to help you paint now :banghead: Loving watching this coming along together, it's making me thinking about having a foray into this series (something other than Gundam/Macross/Yukikaze??!!). Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Congratulations on the birth of the little one, Hunter Rose! You got a little pair of hands to help you paint now :banghead: Loving watching this coming along together, it's making me thinking about having a foray into this series (something other than Gundam/Macross/Yukikaze??!!). Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Cheers Dazz :)

Cracking build there Hunter coming along nicely.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Thanks Knikki :)

I have done a bit more on this, so I'll post another progress update soon

• Like 1

Okay, update time. Rear engine cover is on, I did dry brush the engine with some silver but forgot to a pic before I put the cover on!

20151013_162814_zpshdnroiuh.jpg

And got the front console sorted for the cockpit, started by painting it black, then painted the hud clear green and got some dash detail on. Its really not clear in the photos but the hud isn't quite as dark as it looks.

20151013_163413_zpsouk5nqgg.jpg

20151014_133340_zpsi5uiv2pm.jpg

20151014_133451_zpsaablyfpl.jpg

Then got it stuck in place, so thats the tub finished.

20151015_131843_zpse9pqteby.jpg

20151015_131911_zpskbc2coil.jpg

Now its time for some red, sprayed the rear pointy bits with some tamiya flat red

20151014_134419_zpsytngg0oh.jpg

And then just used some vallejo acrylic red with a brush for the nose tip

20151015_133830_zps7nsdbzyx.jpg

I think I'm going to brush paint the same red onto the missile tips, saves all the faffing with masking tape on such small bits, and the vallejo red goes on well.

• Like 4