About He 111, Ju 88 and, ahem, Umlaute :-D

vppelt68

About the seat. I think that the other one was a early seat. I have seen a few pictures of A1's and A5's that used them.

Schütze can also be translated as gunner.

About the MG-FF I can't comment other than that at the frontal picture it looks as if there is a camara on top of it. Maybee a Strike camera?!

Cheers,

I've seen many posts go 'off thread' but never before over an umlaut (Alt 129 ON THE KEYPAD - bad you luck laptop users). Moderator, please let this thread continue!

Looking up Gunner, rather than Schütze on my Leo on line dictionary (highly recommended) I find that gunner can indeed be translated as Schütze.

With commendable respect to gender equality they give 'rear gunner' and only rear gunner - no other positions or duties listed as:

Heckschütz (male) and Heckschützin (female).

Curious

• Like 1

What fascinating reading this document makes in my rather limited technical German: did other air forces have similar documents?

To be absolutely boringly pedantic, Bombenschutzensitz means literally 'Bombadier's protected seat' so presumably, as it appears to be of one-piece construction, of 'armour plate' though in reality probably just pressed steel.

No, Bombenschütze is Bombardier or bomb aimer. A Schütze is someone who shoots and also the lowest infantry rank. Protection translates as "Schutz", but without Umlaut and without an "e" at the end - it's also "Schutzmann" not SchutzEmann. Now, back from our German for Advanced Students' session...

I'm a bit puzzled about Teil 12A Schusswaffenanlage - the only Bombenschützensitz shown there (p. 12) looks like a folding seat, and not remotely similar to the armoured one with the "surrounding" head protection.

Edited by tempestfan
  • Like 2

If you have trouble finding the umlaut on your keyboard it is perfectly correct to write the letter and add the letter e. E.g.

ae is equivalent to ä

oe is equivalent to ö

ue is equivalent to ü

The letter e is, in fact, the origin of the umlaut. It was written as a superscript above the vowel and the handwritten e became abbreviated to a couple of near vertical lines which, in turn, has become a pair of dots.

Mike

Helo all.

In the manual the seat is named Bombenschutzensitz with umlaut (those little dots above u); I can't find that function on my keyboard. Sorry for the confusion :)

Best Regards,

Antti

I'm a bit puzzled about Teil 12A Schusswaffenanlage - the only Bombenschützensitz shown there (p. 12) looks like a folding seat, and not remotely similar to the armoured one with the "surrounding" head protection.

Don´t be puzzled. There were only the folding seats for the bombardier and one also for the belly gunner, to be used when he was not in his ventral position. Only the pilot and the radio operator had more or less decent seats with some kind of protection. This was partly because the jobs of the bombardier varied from aiming the bombs (in level bombing) to assisting the pilot with the dive bombing equipment and navigation and manning both the forward firing and rear mg:s. The belly gunner had to have a safer place to sit during landings and take offs. The seats needed to be folded away to allow all this movement inside the cramped cockpit. V-P

The umlauts can be added by clicking first "AltGr", then the button with a wave, the umlauts and an arrow up (first left from the "enter"-key), and then "u" - easy?!

Or for those enlightened souls with Macs, Option-U followed by the letter to be accented.

• Like 1

I think I´ll edit the thread name now... :bleh:

striving for perfection, are you :winkgrin:

one more time and you are...

About He 111, Ju 88 and Umlaute :-)

regards from Basel, Rolf

:bye:

Edited by popeye

striving for perfection, are you :winkgrin:

one more time and you are...

About He 111, Ju 88 and Umlaute :-)

regards from Basel, Rolf