1/72 Airfix Focke Wulf Fw-190 F8 "Schlachtgeschwader 10"

Hello and thanks for your interest in this topic.

This is my interpretation of "White 70" from Stab/Schlachtgeschwader 10, which was one of the last defenders of Vienna in spring 1945.

The unit operated from various aifields in Czechia, attacking Russian tank columns approaching the Austrian border. In the closing weeks of the war, the remains of the unit were withdrawn to the Austrian airfields of Bad Vöslau, Markersdorf, Hörsching, Wels and Zeltweg. (source: http://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/sg10.htm).

Do the markings look familiar to you?

Yes, they're the same as in the new 1/32 Revell kit.

The decals I used come from Techmod. I managed to break up one of the "70" due to mishandling them and found replacement on an old Aeromaster sheet.

Color callouts for this machine vary considerably;

Revell suggests RLM83/75, Techmod calls for RLM74/75, while the Aeromaster sheet identifies the colors as RLM81/83.
I went with Revell's suggestion.

The kit is Airfix F-8; photo-etch pieces from Brengun.

Pitot tube is a metal piece from Master Model.

The bomb load comes from the kit, 4x 50kg Bombs plus a AB250 Abwurfbehälter (a cluster bomb containing butterflies).

Painted with acrylics from the Gunze/Mr.Hobby range.

Photographs: Wolfgang Rabel, IGM Cars & Bikes

a_DSC5022_zpspiseytkt.jpg

a_DSC5018_zps2pmwiqrm.jpg

a_DSC5017_zpsqqjyz5bg.jpga_DSC5016_zps8e6kuqyc.jpga_DSC5015_zps9eyzrkop.jpga_DSC5019_zpse2uycpag.jpga_DSC5023_zpslap9gcgz.jpga_DSC5024_zpsuh90rc25.jpga_DSC5025_zpsfyq4qvzg.jpga_DSC5026_zpslvlxpuao.jpga_DSC5027_zpstqkkmq3c.jpga_DSC5028_zpskciqsneh.jpga_DSC5029_zpsmyd9eoaj.jpga_DSC5030_zps1kucnamy.jpga_DSC5032_zpsyi6ehs8d.jpga_DSC5033_zpsf1cfcdfm.jpga_DSC5038_zps3ovxwlw1.jpga_DSC5043_zpsmld5egmb.jpga_DSC5044_zpsiidenqbg.jpga_DSC5045_zpsvui8fe5j.jpga_DSC5048_zpsjrlaay6g.jpga_DSC5049_zps8kf0crfz.jpga_DSC5050_zpsqvpaaigz.jpga_DSC5052_zps3xxyn44p.jpgIMG_1021_zpsz6fs5vat.jpg

• Like 39

Excellent! The paint finish and weathering are superb!

Congrats on a great job!

Do you have a WIP of the build? I have this kit in my stash. I may build it next year in the Fw 190 GB.

Cheers

Jaime

Excellent! The paint finish and weathering are superb!

Congrats on a great job!

Do you have a WIP of the build? I have this kit in my stash. I may build it next year in the Fw 190 GB.

Cheers

Jaime

Jamie,

unfortunately I only took one image (apart from the cockpit interior shown above) from the construction process:

IMG_1023_zpshgupvcb2.jpg

Some of the kit's parts were warped - most affected were the upper wings and the cockpit insert - so I had to put some moderate pressure on the airframe to get the parts to fit.

The plastic Airfix used is relatively soft, so take care when cutting the parts from the sprue, especially around the engine cowling.

The main "error" of the kit is the undercarriage. It is fully elevated, e.g. in the take-off position.

That's why the Airfix kit sits too "high".

I have to add though, this is only noticable when directly compared to another manufacturer's kit (Hasegawa, Revell, etc.).

All in all, I'd say this is a great little kit and can absolutely recommend it!