Eduard 1/48 Gloster Gladiator Mk II (Roden plastic)

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When it says the sprues are Roden does this mean that they will be actually in Roden's brand of soapy soft plastic or will it be Eduard quality plastic used in Roden molds?

There is at least one UK seller on ebay 'veteronusmodels' who claim they already have this chap in stock.

• 1 month later...

Plenty of reviews of the original kit. Just Google " Roden Gladiator review " and take your pick. I have two yet to build. Only issues I have heard of it the three part cowlng is tricky to get together ( IPMS USA review had a good tip of cutting a circle from plastic card with a compass cutter and using it as template whilst gluing the parts together) , plus the instrument panel is too wide to fit inside the fuselage and needs trimming. No idea if Eduard compensated for this " known" problem with their etched brass panel.

The original issue used Roden's then typical slightly brittle plastic. I don't know if Eduard bought in old mouldings, or if they were newly minted from easier to work with plastic, but anyway, so long as you approach with care and use a fine razor saw to remove the finer parts there shouldn't be a problem. I expect to use up 2 - 3 fresh no.11 scalpel blades when cleaning up a 1/48th scale Roden kit, but the time spent pays massive dividends in improved fit. Other than that, the cowling fiddliness and instrument panel size are the only problems that have stuck in my mind from reading. As usual with this sort of kit you may need to trim the cylinder ends for the motor to fit the cowling, but I don't recall if it was a problem in this case. Please note, this is not personal experience - I have one of the old boxings sitting beside me now, but haven't started it yet.

Paul.

Plenty of reviews of the original kit. Just Google " Roden Gladiator review " and take your pick

Hi, Neil, and thank you.

I've already run a google search, my difficulty being to assess the quality of the said review, as I know pretty much nothing about the aircraft.

This is why I was asking for directions toward a "good" review.

Hi, Neil, and thank you.

I've already run a google search, my difficulty being to assess the quality of the said review, as I know pretty much nothing about the aircraft.

This is why I was asking for directions toward a "good" review.

Try these, then. Tom Cleaver can loose his rag quite easily when there're problems with a kit, so if he likes it, I would too:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/cleaverglad.htm

http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/cleavergladb.htm

The following, the guy tried to incorporate the Airwaves detail set, which isn't meant for this kit, and he has perhaps less limited run kit experience than Mr Cleaver, hence the higher irritation level. Still, the result was good:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/gb/calglad.htm

Finally, someone else who liked it: http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/earglad.htm.

HTH, Paul.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2015 at 9:45 AM, Paul Thompson said:

The original issue used Roden's then typical slightly brittle plastic. I don't know if Eduard bought in old mouldings, or if they were newly minted from easier to work with plastic, but anyway, so long as you approach with care and use a fine razor saw to remove the finer parts there shouldn't be a problem. I expect to use up 2 - 3 fresh no.11 scalpel blades when cleaning up a 1/48th scale Roden kit, but the time spent pays massive dividends in improved fit. Other than that, the cowling fiddliness and instrument panel size are the only problems that have stuck in my mind from reading. As usual with this sort of kit you may need to trim the cylinder ends for the motor to fit the cowling, but I don't recall if it was a problem in this case. Please note, this is not personal experience - I have one of the old boxings sitting beside me now, but haven't started it yet.

Paul.

I so wish i'd read this post before I started. Tried to use my normal spru clippers and the first item I tried, the control stick, snapped right away with the top disappearing into the carpet monster! :-(

Have now ordered a very fine razor saw bur will have to build the broken part from scratch.