Pilot Rescue

andy.m

Side%201.jpg

IMG_1237

IMG_1236

IMG_1240

IMG_1239

This is a mini diorama to set my 1/48 Walrus setting down in the sea to pick up a downed pilot.

The base was sculpted using foam board, leaving a trough to fit the plane and to form the waves. I then used plaster of paris to create the surface of the water. Once that was dry I coated the whole lot in a very thick layer of pva white glue. That took time to set, but gave a clear and smooth surface. I painted the water using some cheap acrylics, using blues, greens and a lot more black than I expected. The acrylic on the pva crazed slightly as it dried - an unexpected but not unwelcome effect over the white plaster below. Spray and foam was added using white and I then sealed everything using Future.

The plane and boat were glued in place and gaps were filled using modelling clay which was then touched up with the blues etc and varnished. I varnished parts of the plane's hull to try to make it look wet.

I'm happy with the result, although I wish I had made the whole base a few inches bigger... It was fun to do, especially just experimenting with the paints and redoing bits as I found mixtures that worked well. I think it has given the Walrus a bit of 'life'. Much better than displaying it on its wheels!

Hope you like it - and a diorama section is very welcome!!

Edited by andy.m
Fixed link to photos
  • Like 22

I think it has given the Walrus a bit of 'life'.

I'd say that it has taken the kit to a whole new level! I really like that a lot and it has certainly inspired me to start thinking more about dioramas myself.

• Like 1

Excellent work, and very atmospheric - The unfurling rope is genius, thank you very much for sharing it with us.

Nick

Thanks Nick! The rope is cotton thread soaked in diluted pva and wound around a pencil. Remove it as it sets and pull it to the desired shape then leave it to set hard. It was surprisingly easy to do! The hardest bit was raiding my good wife's sewing kit to find cotton that looked like rope!

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant model - it really adds the final touch by adding the sea and rescue scene - I once did similar with an Airfix Sunderland - its on the forum somewhere in the RFI if you are interested.

Jolly good show there - good ol' Walrus

• 2 months later...