Zvezda Qatar Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner

Beautiful work. I have the same model planned but using the Revell kit. Seeing yours is an inspiration.

If your using DrawDecal decals, be careful with them they crack easily and also you've got to soak them for quite a while before they release from the backing sheet.

If your using DrawDecal decals, be careful with them they crack easily and also you've got to soak them for quite a while before they release from the backing sheet.

Thanks for the heads up although I think you must have been unlucky. I've used many Drawdecal sheets and never had problems

Nazca Decals are generally pretty good although they are prone to occasional accuracy errors. Gaston Roca is always very helpful if you have a problem but you need to bear in mind that he is a working airline pilot and may not be able to respond immediately. The other thing to remember is that Nazca Decals are laser printed and hence translucent. For proper colour rendition you must apply them over white paint or a white decal underlay.

• Like 1

I like the simplicity of that scheme, it is neat and unfussy with a classy look.

(If you have not already tried it, soak the decals in very hot water, and press them down with a thick wad of kitchen paper also soaked in very hot water. It softens the inks and works very well with Draw decals. Like Skodadriver, I have not had any trouble with them)

Cheers

John

• Like 1

A superb 787 - I often see the Qatar livery overhead so its nice to see it nicely built in 1/144 here.

Having read the decal notes and comments, I'm a big fan of Nazca, F-DCAL and 26. I usually buy a set from each manufacturer per airliner on my bench and mix and match the sets up to get the best results,. I've used DrawDecal a few times but had to clear coat them first to stop getting grannies wrinkles.

Once again - a lovely model - show us more in the future

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2015 at 2:14 AM, MikeW said:

Great result. I did the Saudi 787, but unlike you, I did not get the correct colour, and it just looks so wrong.

Well done,

Cheers,

Mike

do you have a topic on this saudia?