Airfix 48th Lightning F6

Thanks for the encouragement gents. 

Another very small update here.

I'm still messing about with the fuselage as it seems easier to do it now than with the wings on (much as I want to put them on).

I was looking at all the small vents and intakes on the top surface of the fuselage and thought I could have a go at improving them. Needless to say, this would all be best done before even joining the fuselage halves, but I was way past that.

The NACA intakes are just scribed outlines in my kit so I filed those out and added the slots. The moulded holes with louvres in I decided to replace with actual holes. I did this with one and then discovered the hole was in the wrong place.

I thought - I'll just live with that this time, but when I mentioned it to the wife, she said " Knowing you, you won't be able to leave that" - and then I thought...well I've come this far...so i changed it.

On my kit, the rear 'shrouded' vent looks a bit 'squished' so I thought I'll have to replace that one. I did, but of course that one's in the wrong place too so I changed that as well.

I also drilled out the prominent hole mid way down the spine on the port side and inserted some brass tube in, in order to fit the mesh in it. you can't really see it, but I know it's there.

I'll carry on with the vents for a while and then clean up the fuselage properly when I'm happy with it. Might as well do it now i'm thinking.

TEdMnl.jpg 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the ongoing delays in progress, gents. I'm in the process of tackling more of the vents on the lower half of the fuselage that can be improved and I've also added the Aires undercarriage bays to the wings and built the wings up.

No photos as yet of those, but I'd like to say that the bays needed a shedload of filing both to themselves and the wings in order to get them to fit (almost to the point of transparency in places). 

Anyway, I completely love the wings. I might have had issues with the spine shape from Airfix, but the wings are sublime and I love the leading edge contours. I'll put some photos up soon, but I've got them sitting on my bench and every now and then I pick them up and stare at them and feel those contours - thet are that good.

The reason for the delay was this commission for a Lightning F6 painting, which I'm fitting in, in my spare,.. spare,.. spare,.. spare time.

I've included them here for interest but mods please feel free to move/delete if inappropriate.

Concept sketch showing Lightning F6 taking off on Missile Practice Camp:-

a1VO7M.jpg

Starting to block the colours in onto the canvas having scaled the image up and drawn in outlines.

m3L6qJ.jpg

Cheers Bob.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, Gents. I've started a new WIP thread in the Aviation Art section for the painting (the direct image link doesn't seem to be working at the moment though) so anyone interested in that can follow it there.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235023828-lightning-f6-wip/&do=edit

Of course I'm wanting to get back on with the model as soon as the picture's finished.

Cheers Bob.

• 4 weeks later...