Battle of Britain Day Flypast

Sundown

What a great event! Only a shame that they didn't come over or near London... I was working yesterday so would have had a great vantage point overlooking Westminster...

Jeffrey

p.s. And since when do you have to register/log in to watch 4OD catch-up??

Since I could not see the takeoff, I did watch the Channel 4 programme and was less than impressed by it. The usual Spitfire glorification, no mention of Hurricanes even when they were in shot on the screen, nor that Hurricanes destroyed more enemy aircraft than all the other defences combined. Too much chatter - much of it inane from the presenter. But good to see Tom Neil get a flight.

John

Yes, I was disappointed as well. Time for dicumentary makers to realise that there is more to being a good presenter than saying "this is incredible/amazing/unbelievable" every 30 seconds. Also felt a bit embarrassed by the attempts to get Tom Neil to "emote" in the touchy feely and frankly wet way that seems required for history programmes nowadays. As was amply apparent, Tom was of a different, stronger generation: a vital job needed doing, they were the people to do it and so they just got on with it, however grim and bloody it might have been.

And they had just begun to say a few words about the Blenheim's role when there was a sudden cutaway to yet another Spitfire taxying.

But is it the role of programmes like this to pander to people's preconceptions or to take the opportunity to educate and broaden horizons? Pity if the ambition has shrunk to just the former though I recognise that newspapers do it all the time (and more and more).

I missed all this but saw a bit of coverage on the beeb reprot... but thats when I spluttered my cup of tea... the reporter said the aircraft were flying from Goodwood /West Hampnett, a hilltop airfiled in West Sussex!!! Hilltop!!!!! is only about 50 feet AMSL!!!

I really liked SteveMk1 Hurricane photo down to the "right" flying helmet. Lovely

I had to splutter over my tea and toast at breakfast this morning hearing Chris Evans in his inimitable chappie style pantingly describe the Battle of Britain as taking place over a "hectic few weeks"...........hmnnn. Just a dawdle then. Actually 15 or so given the official dates and longer if you were one of the guys there at the time. Still he got his Mums birthday mention in..several times in fact.