Battle of Britain Day Flypast

Sundown

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere. To commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain there will be a mass flypast of 40 aircraft beginning at midday today.

From the website:

On 15th September 2015, the 75th anniversary of victory in Battle of Britain, an estimated 40 Spitfires and Hurricanes and Blenheims from across the UK, USA and Europe will come to Goodwood Aerodrome, West Sussex, to take part in an historic flypast over the South of England. The event brings together in one place more Battle of Britain aircraft than at any time since World War Two.

Present day aircraft owners, operators, pilots and engineers will congregate to create an event aimed to show those few remaining veterans who fought 75 years ago, and everyone that they stand for and on behalf of, that we, the modern generation, care about the sacrifices they made, that we will not forget them, and ultimately to thank them.

http://www.battleofbritainday.co.uk/#!routes/c1px

Thanks,

Sean

• Like 1

wished could be there can imagine will be an amazing sight and sound..... :poppy:

Fortunately for those not lucky enough to be on one of the flight paths - The whole event is being televised on Channel 4 this evening at 20:00.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-commemorates-battle-of-britain-with-aerial-spectacular

Sean - On the white section flight path

I was at Duxford in 2000 for the flypast celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Battle, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and brought a lump to my throat. I will be watching Channel 4 tonight and recording it as well.

John- on the Limoges Airport flight path.

I was at Goodwood for 10.00 this morning, expecting to see them take off at 12 as planned, before I left at 12.30 on grandparenting duties in Cranleigh, some 35 miles away. So when the takeoff was cancelled until 14.00 I had to leave before the take off - @&£':;!

I have to say that I thought the aircraft were poorly displayed - they were all placed at the south end of the airfield within easy view of the assorted so called VIPs. Even with a 9x binoculars it was difficult to see the aircraft in any detail from where

I was seated. And of course if Goodwood had metalled runways there would have been no problems!

John

Unfortunately had to work. What was really galling was the fact I was working from home and only live 10 minutes from the Solent. Aaaargh!

Still hope all who got to see the formations felt stirred by the sight, the sounds and the realisation of exactly what was being commemorated.

The BBC coverage was OK and after due consideration I thought the 'on the spot' reporter made a passable attempt. Some glaring historical and aircraft identification errors but fair play I suspect it was the first time he had actually thought about the differences. I was slightly less than forgiving at the time though :-)

They kept talking over the engines, why oh why :weep:

Spectacular event and a fitting tribute.

The BBC coverage was OK and after due consideration I thought the 'on the spot' reporter made a passable attempt. Some glaring historical and aircraft identification errors but fair play I suspect it was the first time he had actually thought about the differences. I was slightly less than forgiving at the time though :-)

They kept talking over the engines, why oh why :weep:

I`m usually pretty forgiving about the BBC but not today. After trailing the live coverage all morning they binned it, mid take-off, to broadcast some drivel.

The Channel Four program made-up for the Beeb`s errors.

Cheers, Ian

Red Section flew over my village (Lea, near Malmesbury) on their way to Swindon.

I didn't have much of a field-of-view as I was surrounded by houses, but I managed to snap off a couple of pics.

spitfires%20over%20lea_01.jpg

spitfires%20over%20lea_02.jpg

spitfires%20over%20lea_03.jpg

I was concentrating so much on the first vic, I completely missed the second lot - I only got the whole gaggle as they headed off to Swindon...

spitfires%20over%20lea_04.jpg

Lovely sound of six Merlins.....

Ken

• Like 1

I didn't watch the BBC coverage, but saw the Chanel 4 last night, my only complaint was the incessant chattering over the sound of the engines.

Regarding Jaw's complaint about the arrangements on the ground at Goodwood, it's nothing new I'm afraid. I was involved with IAT ( before the R ) at Greenham and Fairford from the late 1970s into the 90s as part of the ATC team, so could go just about anywhere on the airfield, but became increasingly aware of the ' VIP ' and hospitality enclosures which blocked the best views for those who had paid good money to go there. Don't even get me started on Farnborough! Sorry, this is turning into a rant.

The main thing is that this was a fitting tribute to all those brave men ( and women ) and I'm glad it wasn't defeated by the weather.

John

Edited by Biggles87

Since I could not see the takeoff, I did watch the Channel 4 programme and was less than impressed by it. The usual Spitfire glorification, no mention of Hurricanes even when they were in shot on the screen, nor that Hurricanes destroyed more enemy aircraft than all the other defences combined. Too much chatter - much of it inane from the presenter. But good to see Tom Neil get a flight.

John

• Like 1

Red Section flew over my village (Lea, near Malmesbury) on their way to Swindon.

I didn't have much of a field-of-view as I was surrounded by houses, but I managed to snap off a couple of pics.

spitfires%20over%20lea_01.jpg

spitfires%20over%20lea_02.jpg

spitfires%20over%20lea_03.jpg

I was concentrating so much on the first vic, I completely missed the second lot - I only got the whole gaggle as they headed off to Swindon...

spitfires%20over%20lea_04.jpg

Lovely sound of six Merlins.....

Ken

I live 7 miles south of Lea, working at home all day and didn't see or a hear a thing. Wife working on Swindon and her office cleared so they could all watch and apparently many moist eyes from colleagues (male and female). So envious of those who saw this probably last ever gathering of so many