DONE - Royal Navy Tornado What If 1/72

Dermo245

Hi everyone,

Looking at the kits to hand, I was thinking of just a straightforward build of this little fella...How neat is that wee sprue!

PM_Models_Focke_Wulf_Ta_183_contents_zps

But then I thought, nah..why not go all in with something involving a bit more head-wrecking plastic cutting. Having recently finished a Tornado, I thought I'd give one another go but this time adding some bits from the kit below...

What%20If%20GB%20source%20kits_zpsecjllc

I know there's already another RN Tornado underway here (looks cool) and this probably isn't the most original idea but thought I'd give this one the fixed wings and smaller twin tails from the Hornet. I like the idea of an asymetric loadout too so that might get the nod as well.

Bodging (and backstory) starts tomorrow night!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I'm not the best on backstories but will try to get one done up, I promise!

In the meantime, here's some progress with the kit (and apologies in advance for any kit-bashing/butchering that upsets any aerodynamic experts - it's just a bit of fun! )

Started by extending the spine on the upper fuselage as the tail configuration will be changing.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_1_zpso

And mocked up using the wings, tails and elevators from the Hornet. I also added a refuelling probe from a Revell Tornado as it's much more detailed than the Airfix parts..

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_2_zpsr

I think it needs some leading edge extensions to blend from the intake sides to the wing leading edge. Plus, it looks a bit too much like a Mig-25!
I decided to go with the elevators from the Hornet as the Tornado ones were really close to the wing trailing edge...and I wasn't sure that would be a good idea.
I have to admit the old Airfix kit is a bit long in the tooth now, though the extra sprues and decals are a bonus.

More plastic madness (and backstory) soon.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 9

I like that! So far, it looks like an aircraft that really was meant to be. I will definitely be tuning into this one

Maybe the rear end could be longer? Anyway of grafting the back end of the F18 to the Tornado effectively?

Edited by Madhatter

• 1 month later...

So finally got the fuselage joined up with some weight in the nose. Will get some filler at lunchtime tomorrow to start filling some of the less than pretty fit areas, especially that horizontal seam on the forward fuselage.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_3_zpst

Now being a What if build, i'm wondering what your suggestions might be for a loadout on this one? I always like the asymmetric loads on F-14s over Afghanistan and am thinking of along the same for this. With the legacy Hornet wings and Tornado fuselage, i've got the following available:

- 2 x wing tip rails

- 4 x wing pylons

- 2 x under fuselage pylons.

All suggestions welcomed!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 3

Hmmm, always thought the Sea Eagle looked a mean lump of death so one or two of them would get my vote, perhaps a Sea Eagle under one wing matched to a fuel tank under the other?

• Like 1

So more on this one...I cut away part of the wing gloves (?) to make a better fit for the wings..

From this..

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_3_zpst

To this...

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_4_zpsr

The wings were then bodged on carefully assembled to the fuselage. There are some gaps to be fixed but that's for tonight.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_5_zpsh

I'm also thinking of a small blended LERX between the intake top edge and the leading edge of the wing, where where I'm pointing - think it needs it to bring it a bit more together...

I also need to fix the tails - I had chain drilled two slots for the tails but they were too close together and need to be further apart.

In terms of weapons fit, I think I'm almost there with that too and will be some mix and match perhaps!

Until the next time, thanks for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 5

Looks pretty good. I'm really sorry yu couldn't make a back story or simply not have the time (I love a good back story 😃) . If you want I'll do one for you, just ask.

• Like 1

Looks pretty good. I'm really sorry yu couldn't make a back story or simply not have the time (I love a good back story ) . If you want I'll do one for you, just ask.

Cheers for the offer on the back story and no worries....i'll definitely include one before the GB ends!

Dermot

• Like 1

So a quick update on this one. After doing some work on the LERX, they didn't really look that great so have removed them. I'll just have to stick with the leading edges as they are!

Still working on getting a better fit at the wings and playing around with loadout options.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_6_zps2

And after bouncing some ideas of a colleague at our local club meet yesterday, I've finally settled on the following:

• 2 x Alarm missiles under the fuselage
  • 2 x drop tanks (from the Hornet)
  • 2 x AIM-9's on the wing tips
  • 1 x Sea Eagle under the port wing
  • 1 x ALQ pod under the starboard wing

Have filled and sanded the wings again and rescribed some lines to hopefully disguise the blatant bodging that's going on.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_7_zps1

All I need now is the weather to get a little warmer so I can start priming in the garage - with a week to go, it's going to be close!

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 5

So with it not being sub-zero in the garage, I finally managed to get priming the airframe and other bits this week.

I then masked up for the Extra Dark Sea Grey which was brushpainted on.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_8_zpsy

Two coats later and it looks ok. Couple of small areas to touch up but happy with it!

There's some 'artistic licence' under the wings where a slip of a brush meant a slight change in the colour scheme - so go easy when you see it!

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_9_zpsp

Then the nose was masked and painted in satin black. Reminds me a bit of a German Tornado....

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_10_zps

More tonight!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 3

So got Klear on the Tornado on Thursday...

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_11_Kle

And decals last night. I don't have any RN decals (or kits) in the stash so these were very kindly donated by fellow Britmodeller and all round good bloke Tim Moff...these were spares from his Matchbox Phantom build earlier this year.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_12_Dec

They had a couple of weeks in a sunny window since I got them and while they might be old and a little translucent in places but they went on ok!

Also added some stencils from the Airfix Tornado sheet which were a shocker to put on. And as she looked last night...

Final bits tonight hopefully!

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

• Like 4

Thanks everyone and finished the last bits last night.

The stores, u/c and tails...

And then the canopy, u/c doors, IFR probe and stabilators.

Airfix_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_Done_z

And she's done! A Royal Navy Tornado FRS1 of 892 Squadron, HMS Ark Royal, 1980.

Backstory.

Accepted by the Royal Navy in 1972, the new carrier had a tonnage of approx 60,000 tons and carried the name of her illustrious predecessor, HMS Ark Royal. With an airwing totalling approximately 49 aircraft, the bulk of these were Phantoms for fleet defence and Buccaneers for strike and reconnaissance duties. The development of the new Anglo French Variable Geometry (AFVG) strike bomber which would serve with both the RAF and Royal Navy had been delayed by protracted design differences with the French services.

By 1975, the first prototype of the Tornado had flown and development of the naval version began in earnest, initially to replace the Buccaneer in the naval strike and reconnaissance role. However, the early experiences of the US Navy with the swing-wing F-14 Tomcat and the RAF's brief flirtation with the F-111 convinced all that a conventional wing naval strike aircraft was needed for the Royal Navy. At the same time, development of the YF-17 in America (into what would be the F-18 Hornet for the US Navy) caught the eye of designers - marrying the wings, tails and stabilators to the proven Tornado fuselage and engines was proposed and the first prototype flew in late 1978. Accepted into Royal Navy service in 1980, the type was popular with crews despite it's truncated looks and served with distinction in the North Atlantic and Persian Gulf.

Airfx_Royal_Navy_Tornado_What_If_2_zps8m

Will post some more pics in the Gallery shortly.

Thanks to Col and Enzo for hosting and for all your comments, likes and support with this one!

All the best,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 4