1/48 Kinetics/Ronin Mirage IIIO

After receiving the new Ronin 1/48 RAAF Mirage IIIO/D decal set I was keen to do quick build of the new Kinetic’s Mirage IIIO.

Construction starts with the cockpit, it’s pretty well straight forward. I would have liked a decal to complement the instrument panel, but I am sure the after market companies will fill this void soon. The sensational Mushroom Mirage IIIO book was used as a reference for the cockpit.

IMG_3381_zpsusyyojkb.jpg

IMG_3382_zpseeoi1k2k.jpg

The instructions indicate you should use C17 for the instrument panel but I found that C19 was more representative of the Mirage IIIO. If you do use C19, you’ll need to modify the top of the panel to accept the head-up display.

IMG_3387_zpsbz08w2yk.jpg

I have left the seat out at this point as I’m undecided whether to update the kit seat or source an aftermarket seat.

Next, it’s onto the intakes. Build these as per the instructions. I joined my two halves before installing them into the fuselage. If you do this, they won’t fit and you’ll need to separate them.

Its nice of Kinetic’s to include the front of the engine, but you’ll never see it once installed.

IMG_3380_zps1e4wyj4v.jpg

The nose wheel well is installed and the fuselage halves are glued together. Be careful with the nose wheel well as it didn’t matter how much I tries, I just couldn’t get the rear to line up with the bottom wing piece. A small amount of putty will resolve the issue it leaves.

IMG_3383_zps0ecjgial.jpg

The air intakes are installed, which takes time to line up correctly. Take your time hear are you’ll end up with little filling to do afterwards. This is important as the joint goes all the way to the intake lip which can be problematic to clean-up.

IMG_3388_zps915nxnuw.jpg

The exhaust is a two-piece construction and is very nicely done. Testor’s Metallizers were used to paint the exhaust.

IMG_3395_zpsigj8ukor.jpg

With the wings, I glued to the top halves to the bottom piece, then dry fitting the wings to the fuselage. When I thought I had everything in place, I glued the wings with some liquid glue. There is a lot of detail along the wing root and the less sanding required, the more detail will be preserved

The way the kit is broken down, Kinetic’s intend to release several versions. The small inserts for the tail plane are poorly fitting and are going to require some care to clean-up.

IMG_3385_zpsqtoau1nh.jpg

The Mirage is currently being sanding and polished in preparation for painting. I am undecided which scheme to build at this point.

IMG_3384_zpslvm0onwy.jpg

The new Ronin Mirage decal set has over forty Mirage scheme’s included for both IIIO and the dual seat IIID (decals are available from the Ronin ebay store). Full data is included for two models too. At this point I am leaning toward the Silver 2OCU “Sunburst” scheme with yellow intakes; the 77Sqn low vis “Matilda” scheme; or the Diamond Jubilee Red/White/Blue scheme. It will depend on how well the model cleans up as to which scheme I decide on.

IMG_3390_zpsnln6npyz.jpg

IMG_3391_zpsadnuschp.jpg

IMG_3392_zpsypxtsuyg.jpg

IMG_3393_zpsasgubkot.jpg

More soon

Ryan Hamilton

• Like 2