Old Sarum Air Show September 2015

Alpha Delta 210

H

I undertook the 6 hour round-trip to Old Sarum to see the headline display of the Vulcan in formation with "Sally B".

Unfortunately, XH558 had a technical problem and didn't show up.

Considering this was the first time this show had been organised, it was very good with a variety of participants to keep the huge crowd entertained.

They only announced the Vulcan cancellation just before her allotted time to display with "Sally B" (16.40 hours), so I decided to make a run for it, as I didn't want to spend an hour getting out of the car park!

In summary, a lovely show at a delightful old airfield.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

DSC_6826.jpg

DSC_6838.jpg

DSC_6854.jpg

DSC_6900.jpg

DSC_6919.jpg

DSC_6970.jpg

DSC_7001.jpg

DSC_7021.jpg

DSC_7026.jpg

DSC_7070.jpg

DSC_7078.jpg

DSC_7148.jpg

DSC_7179.jpg

DSC_7217.jpg

DSC_7242.jpg

DSC_7245.jpg

DSC_7249.jpg

DSC_7262.jpg

DSC_7268.jpg

DSC_7294.jpg

DSC_7320.jpg

DSC_7334.jpg

DSC_7373.jpg

DSC_7388.jpg

DSC_7407.jpg

DSC_7432.jpg

DSC_7472.jpg

DSC_7478.jpg

DSC_7490.jpg

DSC_7555.jpg

DSC_7569.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Great pictures, thanks for sharing 👍 I was there earlier in the day, my wife bought me a flight in a Tiger Moth and yesterday I went up in G-ANNG, it was a great experience. We didnt stay for the airshow as my wife and daughter wanted to go shopping in Salisbury😈

• Like 1

great pics thanks for sharing

Thanks mate. I'm pleased you like them.

Wonderful shots, thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate. I'm pleased you like them.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing I was there earlier in the day, my wife bought me a flight in a Tiger Moth and yesterday I went up in G-ANNG, it was a great experience. We didnt stay for the airshow as my wife and daughter wanted to go shopping in Salisbury

Thanks mate. I saw you go up in the Tiger Moth. I now wish I had taken some pictures for you! I think your wife and daughter need some educating! :winkgrin:

I'm only 20 minutes down the road, didn't even know it was on! Gutted!

Graet pictures, thanks for posting..

Thanks mate. I'm pleased you like them. I don't know how it was advertised locally, as I only heard about it from the Vulcan website. Sorry you missed the show, as it was very good for a first attempt.

Sorry to hear about the Vulcan, but thanks very much for sharing a great set of images.

Chris.

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I was so disappointed not to see the Vulcan in formation with "Sally B", but notice the aircraft was serviceable today and displayed at the exclusive event for Vulcan 558 Club members at Coventry.

Lovely pictures. What shutter speed do you use to get the prop blurs? I recently transitioned to a Panasonic G series near-SLR, and I have been nothing but disappointed so far with aircraft pics! It is excellent for static subjects but I am clearly doing something wrong with flight pictures, because the planes come out distorted, sort of short looking.

I *used* to be a bit of a photography anorak in the days of 35mm wet film, and could do most things tolerably well but whatever it is I'm doing digitally, it ain't right!

Mike

• Like 1

Great to see old sarum again, I used to live in Salisbury and visit old sarum many a time, flew a cherokee from there, lovely approach to airfield over old sarum castle (sight of the original cathedral apparently).

Just to note and blowing my own trumpet, I had a hand in organising a show there some time back in the mid 90's but never got to see the fruits of my labour. Also the statue that depicts a bust of a AOP pilot of the Army Air Corps, I had an influence in that to the point that I drew the initial design of the bust for the artist to complete, I worded the writing on the brass plaque, helped build the stone plinth and erected the flag pole. Also, an Auster 4 used to based there (RT486), I was involved in her restoration to flying condition, I painted some of the fuselage tubing and when she was covered I painted the topside and underside of the port wing.

There we go, trumpet well and truly blown!

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us, they are stunning.

• Like 1

As I'm a bus driver in Salisbury and I was doing Park and ride overtime on the Saturday I saw bits of the show for free and getting paid to do so!

I was a bit disappointed as I had a six minute waiting time at the park and ride site at exactly the time the Vulcan was due to perform so would of got a great view of her!.

The mustang wasn't half being thrown around! The B-17 was impressive to.

On a slightly less impressive note it did take me 52 minutes to do a 9 minute trip to the park and ride site because of the queuing traffic!

Lovely pictures. What shutter speed do you use to get the prop blurs? I recently transitioned to a Panasonic G series near-SLR, and I have been nothing but disappointed so far with aircraft pics! It is excellent for static subjects but I am clearly doing something wrong with flight pictures, because the planes come out distorted, sort of short looking.

I *used* to be a bit of a photography anorak in the days of 35mm wet film, and could do most things tolerably well but whatever it is I'm doing digitally, it ain't right!

Mike

Hi Mike. Thanks for your kind words. I used to use wet film as well, and bought my first digital SLR in 2006. I use Nikon bodies and all the above were taken with a D610 and 80-400mm AF-S Vibration Reduction (VR) lens. I am not familiar with your camera and don't know why your images should be distorted, particularly when you are pleased with your static shots. When shooting aircraft, I tend to use shutter priority mode, where I set the shutter speed and let the camera select the aperture (and even the ISO.) I always hand hold the camera with VR switched on. For the Grob Tutor on start up, I set the shutter speed to 1/40 sec, the taxying gyrocopter, taxying Turbulent and taxying Auster all at 1/80 sec and the taxying Pitts at 1/60 sec. I set the camera at 1/250 sec for all the flying shots.

Keep practicing and I'm sure your images will improve.

Great to see old sarum again, I used to live in Salisbury and visit old sarum many a time, flew a cherokee from there, lovely approach to airfield over old sarum castle (sight of the original cathedral apparently).

Just to note and blowing my own trumpet, I had a hand in organising a show there some time back in the mid 90's but never got to see the fruits of my labour. Also the statue that depicts a bust of a AOP pilot of the Army Air Corps, I had an influence in that to the point that I drew the initial design of the bust for the artist to complete, I worded the writing on the brass plaque, helped build the stone plinth and erected the flag pole. Also, an Auster 4 used to based there (RT486), I was involved in her restoration to flying condition, I painted some of the fuselage tubing and when she was covered I painted the topside and underside of the port wing.

There we go, trumpet well and truly blown!

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us, they are stunning.

Hi Dave. I'm pleased the images brought back some good memories for you.

Smashing shots as ever Alpha Delta. Shame about the Vulcan but more than made up for with some of the other exhibits.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark. As ever, thanks for your comments. It was a lovely show, but I was so disappointed that the Vulcan went tech. I missed her at Little Gransden, Cosby and Old Sarum. My last chance is Gaydon on October 6th!

Great pics, shame about the vulcan/sally b

would have loved to have seen that picture.

Lovely picture of the sally b and ferocious frankie.

Well done

Rick

Hi Rick. Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased you liked the picture of when Frankie met Sally!

As I'm a bus driver in Salisbury and I was doing Park and ride overtime on the Saturday I saw bits of the show for free and getting paid to do so!

I was a bit disappointed as I had a six minute waiting time at the park and ride site at exactly the time the Vulcan was due to perform so would of got a great view of her!.

The mustang wasn't half being thrown around! The B-17 was impressive to.

On a slightly less impressive note it did take me 52 minutes to do a 9 minute trip to the park and ride site because of the queuing traffic!

Sounds like I left at the right time! Glad you enjoyed what you saw of the show.

We must have been stood very close on the flight line there Alpha Delta. Were you anywhere near the Auster?

No, I was the other side of flying control and the commentary position, near to where the Grob Tutor was initially parked.