Phantom Double - 2 x Esci 1/72 F-4J ****FINISHED****

AndrewE

Since I seem to be building all of my aircraft builds this year as pairs I thought I would dig these two Esci Phantoms out of the stash for this GB. I missed the F-4 GB earlier in the year so I am sort of catching up on my modelling with these two. Hopefully I will also find time for a CH-46 later on as well.

F-4J%2001_zpsnhj7hdeu.jpg

I have had one of these almost since the time the kit was first released in 1985 and it looks as though somewhere along the way I have attached the cockpit tub to the floor but other than that it is unstarted.

F-4J%2002_zpslo164ijt.jpg

I shall be completing one as a Navy F-4 from VF-142 which was flown by Scott Davis and Jeff Ulrich on December 28th 1972 when they shot down a Mig-21. This was one of the last victories of the war and I think the only one flown by a bird from USS Enterprise. Unfortunately this aircraft was shot down over North Vietnam on 3rd May 1973. There does seem to be some confusion over the number of this aircraft. The decals show it as NK-212 but some references refer to it as NK-214. I have two side profiles of the aircraft in my references, the Squadron Signal book "...and Kill Migs" shows NK-212 while the Osprey book "US Navy F-4 Pjhantom II Mig Killers 1972-72" shows it as NK-214. The only picture I can find shows it as 212 but the picture also shows an all white radome which does not fit with pictures of other VF-142 aircraft from the same deployment. I may well just go with the decals unless anyone knows different.

The second one will be finished as a Marine F-4 from VMFA-232 based at Chu Lai, South Vietnam in April 1969. This aircraft was with VMFA-232 for only a couple of years but had a long career with the Navy until eventually being struck off charge on 1th January 2003.

F-4J%2003_zpsc6p8fflr.jpg

F-4J%2004_zpswq7wjxzr.jpg

• Like 5

FWIW I have another book on Vietnam era MiG Killers. This one says the callsign is Dakota 214 and the BuNo as 155846. However, the pic shows 212 with the same BuNo. Date and location is unknown. Is it possible the airframe was originally 212 and later became 214? I guess in the absence of any further evidence you may as well go with the decals.

Will be interested to see how your builds turn out and also the CH-46 as I have the Fujimi kit in the stash.

• Like 1

Bu.No. 155846 was sure coded 214 in 1971, there's a well known picture showing her with such codes on several sources... including wikipedia

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/F-4J_Phantoms_of_VF-142_in_flight_c1971.jpg

Problem is that this code was carried while in the US between the previous deployment on USS Constellation and the following on USS Enterprise. Aircrafts within USN squadrons can have their numbers changed, and here we have two pictures of the same aircraft with different codes (and differently painted radomes, but radomes can be swapped). 212 was carried at a later date, we only have to find out what number was carried the day of the MiG kill

• Like 2

Bu.No. 155846 was sure coded 214 in 1971, there's a well known picture showing her with such codes on several sources... including wikipedia

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/F-4J_Phantoms_of_VF-142_in_flight_c1971.jpg

Problem is that this code was carried while in the US between the previous deployment on USS Constellation and the following on USS Enterprise. Aircrafts within USN squadrons can have their numbers changed, and here we have two pictures of the same aircraft with different codes (and differently painted radomes, but radomes can be swapped). 212 was carried at a later date, we only have to find out what number was carried the day of the MiG kill

That kinda makes sense saying the airframe started as 214 and then became 212. So maybe 212 really is the modex on the day and the callsign is either wrong or they continued using it after the new number was assigned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input into the discussion over the correct call sign. In the absence of any firm confirmation one way or another I shall go with the decals and use 212.

Progress has been made on both these builds so far as follows.

Cockpits were adjusted slightly to convert to Navy configuration with no side consoles in the rear. Ejection seats are white metal with fuse wire handles but everything else is as per the kit with decals used for the panels. The canopies will be closed so hopefully this level of detail should be sufficient.

F-4J%2005_zpsehlvdvdz.jpg

The fuselages went together very quickly after the cockpits were finished, I fitted some spacers towards the rear of the fuselage to make them more rigid. The fit overall was OK except underneath at the join of the wing to the forward fuselage where a step resulted in one of the builds so is probably down to me rather than the kit. One or two sink marks have had to be filled in but everything is now just about ready for painting.

The armament has all come from the Hasegawa weapons set. The kit does not include any centre line fuel tanks but thankfully I had an old one in the spares box which I think is off an old Hasegawa Phantom, This was duly broken apart and reassembled and rear fins added from other surplus stores.

F-4J%2006_zpsimvkayna.jpg

F-4J%2007_zpstjzln9vm.jpg

F-4J%2008_zpsscmrbpoi.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have made some progress since my last post. Both f-4's are now painted and have had decals applied.

No major problems so far. For some reason I painted the upper surfaces of the stabilizers in grey instead of white but fortunately I realised my mistake in time to correct it.

The decals are quite old but apart from one or two of the small data ones breaking up they went on without any trouble.

F-4J%2009_zpsadvblzb7.jpg

F-4J%2010_zpsnbifc4oj.jpg

F-4J%2011_zpsiacswa0x.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Finished these two off last week and finally got around to taking some pictures today. I never used to particularly like Phantoms with the all black radome but having done this one I think I have now changed my mind. Makes the choice of scheme for the 1/48 Academy F-4B I have in the stash even harder now!

F-4J%2013_zpsmss84fqq.jpg

F-4J%2016_zpsrdixsvpd.jpg

F-4J%2017_zpsft5kyewa.jpg

F-4J%2019_zpshat2c21b.jpg

F-4J%2023_zps6shd3ixj.jpg

F-4J%2024_zpssvhjcxdg.jpg

F-4J%2025_zpszlfs2dwy.jpg

• Like 11

Excellent models . The Esci Phantom has always been my favourite as it looks good & is an easier build than either the Hasegawa or Fujimi kits . It just needs a little cockpit detail adding . Incidentally , the Airwaves etched brass cockpit set for the Hasegawa F-4J is a pretty good fit in the Esci kit & improves it greatly .

• Like 1

Superb job on the Phantoms!!!

Outstanding models through and through.

Congrats

JR

• Like 1