Mosquito drift sight in bomber version?

ErikB

Hi guys,

Does anyone know where the drift sight was stowed on the bomber versions of the Mosquito? On the FB it was right in front of the nav, above his chute but on the bomber?....

Thanks in advance!

Erik.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ! I bought Tamiya gorgeous Mossie and drift sight a small mystery for me.... It is a bomb aimer sight, no ? But where is window for it ? Under cockpit floor are canon barrels and bomb way is too far (and isn't here a window... ) ? Or have this small apparat another use as bomb sight ? Thank you !

The drift sight would have been used for navigation as well as bombing. It tells the navigator how the apparent course (obtained from the compass) is influenced by crosswinds. Accounting for this 'drift' therefore gives the true course over the ground.

I'm away from refs at the moment and can't say where the window was located on the FB, but only a small aperture would have been required.

Regards,

J.

Hi ! I bought Tamiya gorgeous Mossie and drift sight a small mystery for me.... It is a bomb aimer sight, no ? But where is window for it ? Under cockpit floor are canon barrels and bomb way is too far (and isn't here a window... ) ? Or have this small apparat another use as bomb sight ? Thank you !

Hi Erik,

In the FB VI... as you are aware, the drift sight is mounted on a steel tray anchored to the starboard cockpit sidewall forward or the cockpit entry door above the navigators map box and parachute stowage. To use the drift sight the navigator removes a small round metal plug (held in place by a bar) in the fuselage side wall and slides the drift sight across so that the appropriate part of the drift sight protrudes out into the air flow etc. If you have a look at the Tamiya kit starboard cockpit section you will see a raised triangular bit with a circle and bar half way up forward of the cockpit entry door. This is the drift sight door location. On the out side of the cockpit you will see the circular detail of the drift sight door/plug. I'm not aware of the Mosquito bomber version having a drift sight installed.... so if it did I have no idea where it would be located.

Joe

• Like 1