HMS X.1 - converted from Mikro-Mir K4 submarine

Flankerman

The release by Mikro-Mir of their 1/350 scale K-Class submarine kit opens up lots of conversion possibility's.

The same basic hull shape is used on quite a few RN subs - albeit with longer or shorter hulls and differences in beam.

One such sub is the mysterious HMS X.1 - a Cruiser Sub armed with two turrets each packing a pair of 5.2 inch Quick Fire guns.

At 110m in length, she is 7m longer than HMS K4 and her beam is .09m wider - so all that is needed is to lengthen and widen the hull and scratch-build the superstructure and gun turrets - what could be simpler???

Having purchased the book I scanned and re-sized the drawings to 1/350 scale - unfortunately they are printed across the binding, hence the dartk line.

I cut a piece of 3mm thick plastic card to the outline shape......

350_HMS%20X1_01.jpg

The thickness of the card takes care of the increase in beam. Now to lengthen the hull...

350_HMS%20X1_02.jpg

Mikro-Mir K4 hull compared to the outline of X.1

The K4 hull had the upper casing and keel removed - and it was then chopped in half at the widest point - and strips of plastic card were used to bridge the gap to lengthen it... (this is just a test fit, the front section isn't glued in place yet)....

350_HMS%20X1_03.jpg

The rear of the K4 hull was then cemented onto the X.1 outline - and the front attached in the same way......

350_HMS%20X1_04.jpg

I removed a section from the X.1 outline at the bows - because the K4 bow needs to be 'pinched in' to make a sharp prow.

It's all a bit crude and I'm making it up as I go along - but I'm having fun so far.

I need to add the other half of the hull (the port side) - then its out with the Milliput to fashion the bulged bows.

Ken

• Like 4

The decking has been added - using thin plastic card........

350_HMS%20X1_08.jpg

.... and the first (of probably many!) application of Milliput...........

350_HMS%20X1_09.jpg

A few sanding/re-Milliputing/sanding sessions to go.......

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

After the first sanding session......

350_HMS%20X1_11.jpg

The all-important bow shape......

350_HMS%20X1_10.jpg

A quick coat of grey primer helps to see the shape better - its almost there!......

350_HMS%20X1_12.jpg

I love Milliput - you can get the approximate shape with a wet finger before it sets - and once cured, it carves and sands beautifully

Ken

• Like 2

Meanwhile.......

The plating in of the sloping sides of the casing is done - with gaps plugged with filler.......

350_HMS%20X1_14.jpg

A side view......

350_HMS%20X1_15.jpg

A quick burst of Halfords Grey Primer soon shows up the areas that need more fettling......

350_HMS%20X1_16.jpg

The side profile looks OK to me - it just needs tidying up.....

350_HMS%20X1_17.jpg

Whilst waiting for the primer to dry, I made a start on the bridge.

The lower, narrower, section is made by wrapping thin plastic card around a shaped piece of wood. The 'roof' (actually the floor of the open bridge) is a shaped piece of thicker plastic card.....

350_HMS%20X1_18.jpg

The upper open bridge is thin plastic card wrapped round the 'roof' - with the front cover made using card and filler....

350_HMS%20X1_19.jpg

More to follow....

Ken

• Like 2

A bit more progress....

Skeg, rudder, dive planes and propeller guards from plastic card, MM K4 prop shafts cut down to size....

350_HMS%20X1_20.jpg

350_HMS%20X1_21.jpg

I'm not up to scribing the six bow torpedo tubes - so I just used thin plastic card to represent them. I cut a recess for the anchor and made them from plastic card...

350_HMS%20X1_22.jpg

Various bits of bridge 'furniture' scratched.....

350_HMS%20X1_23.jpg

The hull is now painted - off-white uppers with red primer lower hull and black boot topping using black decal stripes.

350_HMS%20X1_24.jpg

The bridge windows are tiny 2mm squares of black decal - and the X 1 codes are from a Modeldecal sheet of RAF letters/numbers - white superimposed on black to get the 'shadow'...

350_HMS%20X1_25.jpg

The windows are a bit too big - but are as small as my eyesight can manage..... :weep:

I now have to work out how to do the dark grey horizontal surfaces on the casing without spoiling it - I might use clear decal sheet sprayed grey and cut out the shapes to get a clean edge.

Then I have to do the gun turrets........

Ken

Now working on the two gun turrets...... a completed one at top - the parts for the second one at bottom.....

350_HMS%20X1_26.jpg

The bridge is almost finished - just a couple more masts.....

350_HMS%20X1_27.jpg

The close-ups make it look far worse than it actually is ..... honest!!!!

Ken

• Like 5

That's some very clever and ingenious plastic surgery you have going on there - I've picked up a few tips from this myself.

I don't tend to make many kits that require scratch build conversions other than using add-on resin corrective parts, so this build is nice and educational for me. Thank you for sharing your skills.

:goodjob: