Marineflieger Blenheim Mk.IX - 1950s Maritime Patrol Aircraft

DAG058

So there I was sat in my den last night, when I looked over at the Airfix VC Winners box set that was laying in the corner. The set contained the Fairey Battle which was the first model I made, just over a year ago. It also had the Hurricane which I tried to knock into something half decent for the current Battle of Britain group build. I wondered what to do with the remaining kits, which are old tooled and pretty terrible. I didn't want to waste my time making something which would look shabby, especially when I could go out and buy a nice new tooled Blenheim. Then it dawned on me, why not bash it into something fun for the What-If GB! So here is what you've got...

Towards the end of the Second World War the Blenheim bomber had become obsolete. The RAF moth balled a large number of airframes at RAF Shawbury with the vision of them being sold on Post-War or alternatively to be converted into a trainer. In 1945 the Admiralty issued requirement GR.17/45, for an Anti-Submarine and Strike aircraft. Fairey responded with the Type Q which late developed in the Gannet and Blackburn responded with the B-54/B-88. However these developments took time and were slow to come into production.

Post War saw tensions building in Central Europe as the Soviets began to face off with the western nations. It soon became evident that the future front-line would be on West Germany's border. Even although there were British, French and American Forces based in Germany, the Bundesmarine and Bundewher would have to share responsibility for the defense.

In late 1949 the West German Government approached the Admiralty and the Ministry of Aviation with the view of acquiring a cheap and readily available Maritime Patrol Aircraft, for which the primary role would be the defense of the Germany's Baltic coast. With the Fairey Gannet still in development so an alternative was looked at. It was decided the mothballed Blenheim's would fit the role if suitable modifications were made. A team of researchers were immediately tasked. The group were mostly British however they were supported by aviation scientists who were captured in Germany at the end of the war.

Modifications included a major overhaul of the engines to tuboprop contra-rotating blades. This increased the Blenheim's Speed and and lifting capacity considerably. The airfame was also strengthened and some changes were made to the overall shape and identity of the aircraft. It was to be fitted the 2 Radars, one where the the dorsal turret was located, for surface scanning. And another bellow the turret, for subsurface scanning. It was armed with one torpedo. This was backed up by 2 newly developed rocket pods on each wing, similar to modern day SNEB pods. These were for attacking surface shipping. The Mk.IX was also armed with a cannon pack consisting of 4 cannons, which could also be used for defense of surface attacks.

The Blenheim Mk.IX entered into service in late 1951. 34 aircraft were based at Marinefliger-Geschwader 5 (MFG5) Kiel-Holtenau, near the city of Kiel in Northern Germany. The aircraft operated with a crew of three, a pilot, a navigator and Radar/Weapons operator.

The aircraft was deemed a success and filled the void during a time of need. The Blenheim Mk.IX's helped with future developments and research. Lessons learned from the project would be introduced into the Fairey Gannet, Avro Shackleton and ultimately the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod.

• Like 4

Hopefully you like the story and don't think I have been sniffing too much glue! As soon as I dreamed it up I was hooked. I am really intersted in the Cold War and naval aviation so I think I will enjoy this alot!

Here is what I will using. A terrible, old tooled Blenheim. All the raised details, flash and ill fitting parts included. I would be mad to try and build a "real" Blenheim!

5edb96a785038115e944e288e11375c7_zpskzml

a2ef3d02fc8db672e37b7eda19a6837c_zpsj3eu

Here we have the decals and weapons fit (minus the rocket pods). If you notice the canopies and perspex, I am planning on doing a bit of cut-and-shunt work at the front end, not fully decided but maybe a flat front like a Shackleton?

fb870cd4b46e4bf8fed8be81bbdc8774_zpsuuyn

This is the Cannon pack, off of an Airfix Canberra. I will either mount it on the belly with the torpedo slung under it, or ontop behind the cockpit.

e982fbc42e70e25f3edd66ac4e619912_zps35ll

Rocket pods and pylons. One onto each wing.

63012f904f155f6be66ef541c441fd62_zps0vtg

This is a slipper tank, off of a Buccaneer I think. I plan on using two of these, chopping the front end off and using the dome-like shape as the Radars!

c92bf6757feeccce36dd1bbfcd2b2230_zpspqbv

• Like 2

I've not decided fully on the engines yet, I'll see what I can do though!

a11115170dd1e863e47527d386b453d2_zpsht7o

I've made a start. Started with the cockpit. Gone for a modern seat in a more central position, then in instrument panel in a half wrap round. The Canberra will be a bit on inspiration on this one. It's made with a bit of old spruce squared off and some plastic card. It still needs tidied up but hopefully gives you the fist of what I'm going for.

As mentioned earlier I am still not sure what I'm doing with the nose section. I don't know whether to have the navigator in there or the Radar/weapons operator. Options are the navigator behind the pilot and the Radar/weapons operator in the nose, again like the Canberra. Or more conventional with it vice versa.

Edited by DAG058

I've had a bit of a play around with the crew set up.

4d9344a8c5507dedeb2967ffc14ec071_zpskqx9

I'm thinking this. Navigator up front, baring in mind this is very soon after the war and navigation would still be of a similar standard. Pilot in the middle, nearly centrally located. And the Radar/weapons operator to the rear in his dark little cave.

I was going to go into more detail with the interior but I really don't think it'll be visible through the rubbish old canopy provided! Once I am certain on this lay out I will tidy it up and paint in a bit of detail.

Let me know what you think so far please, I would love some feed back!

Love the concept! It is actually believable, which is, after all, the point with counterfactual history.

Couple of points that immediately come to mind. (you did ask for feedback)...

If the pilot has a Martin-Baker ejection seat, which I assuming is that seat there, will you have to modify the canopy to have an opening section (presumably explosive) to get him out?

And what about his crewmates??

(Maybe a less modern pilot seat is called for??)

And the cannon pod. Should be on top of the roof, above the pilot, I'd imagine, since it might get in the way below, especially if the torpedo hasn't yet been launched....

Anyhow, just some suggestions/thought. But I will be following with much interest.

Philip

• Like 1

Thanks for your points, much appreciated! These are all things I have been thinking about today, I have been trying to come up with a solution.

If the pilot has a Martin-Baker ejection seat, which I assuming is that seat there, will you have to modify the canopy to have an opening section (presumably explosive) to get him out?

Because the seat is more central this shouldn't be too difficult, I just need a decent bit of clear plastic to fit. Certainly something I need to look into though.

And what about his crewmates??

I was thinking this through earlier. I think the V Bombers were of a similar set up, only the pilots would get a bang seat. The back seaters would have to scramble their way out the old fashioned way. Robvulcan might be able to confirm? I have a feeling the Canberra was same.

I don't know the justification behind that. It must of be hard for a crew on an escape situation, would you wait for the back seaters to get out before ejecting? I wonder if there are any accounts anywhere.

• Like 1

I was thinking this through earlier. I think the V Bombers were of a similar set up, only the pilots would get a bang seat. The back seaters would have to scramble their way out the old fashioned way. Robvulcan might be able to confirm? I have a feeling the Canberra was same.

I don't know the justification behind that. It must of be hard for a crew on an escape situation, would you wait for the back seaters to get out before ejecting? I wonder if there are any accounts anywhere.

Not Rob but you're right, the two upfront had bang seats and the rear crew didn't. There were several crashes where the whole crew perished as the pilots attempted to crash land to save the back seaters rather than bang out. A very silly decision not to give everybody bang seats IMHO.

Back to the model and I think three bang seats would work, the back one against one fuselage side facing sideways, pilot to one side slightly and the front one stepped down offset the other way. The rear 'hatch' is a scribed square with warning marks and the whole canopy the same perhaps with the glazing bars polished out.

Just some thoughts...good start though.

• Like 1

I have decided to go for the crew set up that I had before.ni think it'll work fine. I've gone for a bang seat for the pilot and the other crew meme re have to do it the old fashioned way, just like the V Bombers. Thanks for your input guys, it really helped.

5204cc488a761e9efd23961c75008b28_zpsurok

I have spent a bit of time cleaning in the engines. The cowling need a bit of work. I have also cut away around the Pistons and started to clean them up.

e18b628070d4f7587c11154cad7b1e0d_zpsipeq

a474064c87fa6b3dee4e376ac5c1e3ca_zpsszsx

Above you can see the concept of the engines have come up with. So Contra-rotating blades. I've got some big fat quick boost exhausts from a hampde. With I think I will add. I've think I might do as Charlie mentioned and build so nacelles, for the turbo boost kit.

Again any ideas or feedback on this is greatly appreciated! I'm enjoying it so far and I hope a few of you are too!

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 2

Swap out those wimpy Mercuries for the Centaurus... now we're talking hosspower! 860 vs 2200-odd... it was in production for the Sea Fury, Shackleton, Brabazon and others, so it wouldn't be 'exotic'. You did say that the airframe was strengthened...

Although I can't find any resin ones.

EDIT: YES, I CAN!! http://www.ozmods-kits.com/ozmods-conversions-upgrades-accessories-172

You're welcome, always happy to help bonkers reign.

And also, Engines & Things in fair Canadia do a Centaurus as well - I have a couple of their engines, and they are very nice indeed. I found mine on eBay, but here's a link to their website, which gives you a PDF catalogue.

http://www.planet.eon.net/~engthg/

• Like 1

Sorta like that time that Grandma got a taste for espresso and drank 6 cups in one day... a flurry of petticoats, a whirl of dust and a-way-hay-hay she went!

(Darn it, I am now considering a Centaurus powered Beaufighter.)

0dceae0ea22701f6cff50a3f0e0438ca_zps8h7y

As you can see I've put all the main parts together. If you have one of these old tool Blenheims in your stash and your planning on making it into a nice model I recommend you...bin it. Or sell. Or trade it or something! It really isn't a nice build. One I

Side of the fuselage is slightly bigger than the other so they didn't line up well at all, hence the ton of filler. The winges were terrible too, gaps and misalignment. Not to mention the giant rivets, which you may notice I have started to sand off.

I had a play around with canopies in my spares box, trying to think up of an idea as what to do. Nothing seemed to go well though, and I think any alterations would take away the iconic shape of the Blenheim, which is something I'd like to try and keep. So I think I will just go with the kit supplied canopy. The canopy is also far from perfect though, very thick with distorted frames.

Despite the challenges I am still loving this, hope it's worth the effort!

• Like 1

Why did I do this to myself?! I should have just binned the Blenheim! I have spent hours filling and sanding, then re filling and re sanding. I wonder if when this kit was release back in the 1970s anyone thought it was good or has it always been this horrible?

Anyway believe it or not I am still enjoying myself.

b828d11ceee72e606f54510624e14f48_zpsb4b5

As you can see the raised detail is gone. The seams are smooth and all the halves now match up.

a93bb27ced49b3a0da8b038e97c0eb0c_zpsu14w

5b5197731948ac6414705adc9095015c_zps5ort

I have fitted the two Radar domes, as per the back story. There are slight gap so I have just squeezed some filler and I will clean it all up tomorrow. You may notice I have removed the Stbd side gazing, it was particularly bad, so I cut a new one and made a frame. I am contemplating whether to do the port one also.

Feel free to keep adding your comments or feedback.

Edited by DAG058

All the canopy parts are now on and masked.

I've had a look at the cannon pack I had planned for it. I don't think it'll work with the torpedo, it's one or the other, so it going with the torpedo.

a0ce3b12276f9e5982a31dffa28851dd_zpswf1c

I'm feeling like it's really coming together. There's a few parts I need to tidy up tomorrow, including the pylons I'm adding to the wings. After that it will more or less be ready for painting!

• Like 1