Best book for interwar RAF aircraft reference

Simon Cornes

On Silver Wings has pretty profiles: the Mushroom books give development and service histories, detailed drawings, many photos and pretty profiles, if obviously being more limited as to type. So it rather depends what you are looking for, rather than being a straight choice.

Thanks Graham,

What prompted this question was the fact that I was looking at the On Silver Wings book on Amazon and it was going to cost me £40 so I wondered if the MMP boks would be better value as I was particularly interested in the Fury and Demon. Things have moved on slightly in that I have found another copy of the On Silver Wings book for only £17 posted so I have ended up buying that plus the MMP book on the Fury/Nimrod. The Hart Family MMP book is a bit expensive at the moment by comparison but it may have alot more pages. As you say though, it depends very much on what the books are for. I imagine that On Silver Wings is a pretty good general purpose book on various machines of the period and so not so much details - but pretty profiles! From a modelling point of vierw things like photos of rigging attachment and cockpit interiors are probably more what we want so I suspect that the MMP books give you more - now I wil be able to work it out for myself. I know that there are some pretty good walkrounds (on BM) which will probably give me that detail but its nice to have a book on the shelf as well!!

Cheers

Simon