Should we be expecting a new Airfix release announcement today?

Rabbit Leader

Yes, but do we know that we are only getting options for Blue Steel-carrying Victors in this model?

No we don't, but Airfix have given us enough clues in the CAD drawings and the "model" on display at Telford to indicate that other marks are a possibility.

Dennis

• Like 1

Yes they were - lots of them! Making them all wouldn't be very exciting modelling. Airfix could do a set for the Victor - it could also be sold as for the Vulcan plus lots of spares.

Agreed, painting and decaling 35 x 1000 lb bombs would be awfully boring but, they would look great stuffed into that massive bomb bay. I would still hope that we did not have to buy them separately. This kit is already going to be quite expensive enough (and before anybody comments, I have pre ordered two! :lol: ) without having to add "extras". Given the suggested r r p of £54.99, I would personally have no problem with an additional 70 parts or so.

Allan

Get the Victors and start taking the bus!

What buses? In this part of Shropshire you go out on Monday and return Friday! That's If you want to go to Shrewsbury or Stoke. Can't get any where else. Damn, it's got to be Victors!

Get the Victors and start taking the bus!

What buses? In this part of Shropshire you go out on Monday and return Friday! That's If you want to go to Shrewsbury or Stoke. Can't get any where else. Damn, it's got to be Victors!

No we don't, but Airfix have given us enough clues in the CAD drawings and the "model" on display at Telford to indicate that other marks are a possibility.

Dennis

Indeed, the announcement does state the following :

" It will also benefit from the impressive development and production processes now in place at Airfix, with the associated detail levels such as the inclusion of the Blue Steel missile in the first release."

I think it is reasonable to assume further variants will follow in due course

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Both of you are correct, but not for this kit. Iron bombs and fee fall nuclear devices were for the original Victor B.Mk.2's. Not on the inventory for Blue Steel aircraft. OK for a Vulcan 2 though (but not a Blue Steel one).

Dennis

Actually the Vulcan had an optional bomb rack and could carry 30 1000lbs bombs. But this seems to have been forgotten.

It was more than 21 anyways.

Might have been 34 I will have to check but more than the usual 21 anyways. :)

Actually the Vulcan had an optional bomb rack and could carry 30 1000lbs bombs. But this seems to have been forgotten.

It was more than 21 anyways.

Might have been 34 I will have to check but more than the usual 21 anyways. :)

Are you sure? The Vulcan weapons bay could carry three of the 7-store carriers, making a maximum of 21 bombs. The Victor could carry five 7-store carriers. Apart from Blue Steel, there was no provision for external carriage of stores until the Falklands war.

• Like 1

Are you sure? The Vulcan weapons bay could carry three of the 7-store carriers, making a maximum of 21 bombs. The Victor could carry five 7-store carriers. Apart from Blue Steel, there was no provision for external carriage of stores until the Falklands war.

In the book International Air Power Review #25 which has a Victor article, that author claims that Victor could actually carry more than 35, (up to 41 IIRC) but that was not adopted by RAF. Any truth in that?

• Like 1

On Avros own made documentary / pitch video it shows and talks of an optional carrier to increase the load beyond 21, maybe it's just not well know or not much used. But I think it was 3 10 store carriers , I will have to watch it again to make sure but im at work at the mo.

Maybe it was a B1 only feature as its from the old days but the Bay's seem to be mostly the same however im guessing the B2 might have differed slightly due to constructional differences of the wings but photos of B1 bays are rare as they where quite secret at the time :)

• Like 1

In the book International Air Power Review #25 which has a Victor article, that author claims that Victor could actually carry more than 35, (up to 41 IIRC) but that was not adopted by RAF. Any truth in that?

It's correct. The Victor's bomb bay could accommodate 39 x 2000lb sea mines or, 48 x 1000lb bombs (with shortened tails). In addition, underwing panniers capable of carrying 14 x 1000lb bombs were proposed but never produced. One pannier would be carried under each wing

Allan

• Like 1

On Avros own made documentary / pitch video it shows and talks of an optional carrier to increase the load beyond 21, maybe it's just not well know or not much used. But I think it was 3 10 store carriers

That surprises me greatly. A 10-store carrier would have been at least three feet wider than a 7-store. The Vulcan bomb bay was just wide enough to accommodate the 7-store carrier. The other option would have been to suspend three bombs underneath the lower three bombs on the carrier, presumably with a jettisonable support and release structure to clear the way for the main seven stores. I think that option would have called for bulged bay doors.

• Like 1

It's correct. The Victor's bomb bay could accommodate 39 x 2000lb sea mines or, 48 x 1000lb bombs (with shortened tails).

V Force: The History of Britain's Airborne Deterrent by Andrew Brookes agrees with those figures. It was physically possible, but I don't even want to think about the problems involved in cramming that lot into the weapons bay, especially if the loading crew were in NBC kit. The point with the 7-store carrier was that it could be loaded in the relative comfort of a prep shed and simply winched into the aircraft thereby speeding up loading and turnround procedures immeasurably. I very much doubt that loading 48 bombs separately would have been operationally viable.

• Like 1

That surprises me greatly. A 10-store carrier would have been at least three feet wider than a 7-store. The Vulcan bomb bay was just wide enough to accommodate the 7-store carrier. The other option would have been to suspend three bombs underneath the lower three bombs on the carrier, presumably with a jettisonable support and release structure to clear the way for the main seven stores. I think that option would have called for bulged bay doors.

I will have a look later mate. I don't know if is the same carrier but I remember it was odd in the way it mounted them to allow the fit.

It is on the very early Avro made documentary. You never know they might have ditched it later on.

Cheers Rob :)

V Force: The History of Britain's Airborne Deterrent by Andrew Brookes agrees with those figures. It was physically possible, but I don't even want to think about the problems involved in cramming that lot into the weapons bay, especially if the loading crew were in NBC kit. The point with the 7-store carrier was that it could be loaded in the relative comfort of a prep shed and simply winched into the aircraft thereby speeding up loading and turnround procedures immeasurably. I very much doubt that loading 48 bombs separately would have been operationally viable.

That was my source Enzo. I also found some information online which indicated that 35 x 1000lb bombs was an operational limit set by the RAF even though the Victor could carry a lot more. Still more than enough to ruin anybody's day!! However, if the capacity was there, then I guess there must have been some circumstances where it could be used.

Allan

• Like 1

That was my source Enzo. I also found some information online which indicated that 35 x 1000lb bombs was an operational limit set by the RAF even though the Victor could carry a lot more. Still more than enough to ruin anybody's day!! However, if the capacity was there, then I guess there must have been some circumstances where it could be used.

Allan

Im guessing that's to do with wing fractures at low level and fatique life. Victors did not handle low level very well nor did the valiant it seems. :)

• Like 1