Should we be expecting a new Airfix release announcement today?

Rabbit Leader

the only 2016 announcements they are keeping back is the new club kits we are promise early next year (though where are the ones we were promised this year?), which won't be new tools just reboxs

That's the announcement I'm eagerly awaiting, as I recently joined the Club and have a £20 voucher to spend, I'm rather hoping that we might see a Limited Edition 1/48 Sea Hurricane, as the necessary parts are already in the base kit.

same; though I continued membership.

Why would Airfix be keeping anything back for 2016, is there any proof ? They will make announcements for 2017 in 2016.

I think what they have announced is what we will see, which is quite a bit.

Robert

Yes they will carry on in the same ilk of announcing kits in development for the following year in the Workbench blog.

They have announced what they plan to release so far, but the nature of the process now is that they may be able to bring forward something from 2017 to 2016 should they so wish. They may react to news from the competition at the start of the new year if something looks like it might steal their thunder and line up something special for the Toy fairs as they do have the capability these days.

• Like 1

I still believe that just 5 new tools in 1/72 compared to 10 last year are suspiciously low. So perhaps we should expect some new announcements on the Christmas Eve. At least I want to believe so :santa:

Just to remind - in 2015 we have

- Defiant

- Whittley

- Ju 87

- He 111

- Wildcat

- Beaufighter

- Kate

- Shackleton

- Sea King

- Swift (well - it's 2014 carry over)

And next year it's only two WWI biplanes, Victor, B-17 and JP3. Sea King is due on 01-01-2016 so probably could count into 2016 as well.

Ah but there are also 5 alternative versions of those new kits also in the line up to bring us back to 10 and in 48ths they have been scaling up the Defiant, the P-40 and the Ju-87 Stuka alongside developing a new Meteor so less resources are being used to the full at the moment.

The other thing to factor in is they are working with a third party manufacturing and production facilities so they only have so many available slots for new kits alongside regular production of current lines and their other customers work, so their are limits to how much they can do.

Wait to see how many new kits or revised tooling's come out from the other manufacturers in 72nd aircraft !

Wait to see how many new kits or revised tooling's come out from the other manufacturers in 72nd aircraft !

That is true. There are many other manufacturers and many existing wonderful kits either including Airfix's ones.

I just want to say it looks strange for me that Airfix is done with full 2016 list mid-November.

Firstly there are fewer 1/72 new tools. Well - can be explained by more new tool in 1/48 and new versions in 1/72.

Secondly it's quite a change from previous years with Advent calendars.

So I just suspect they are hiding something for Christmas. maybe a Venom..... :pray:

Edited by Dennis_C

:lol: Of course!! That's it!! Random Bloke IS the new kit release!!! :doh:

Allan

I think Random Bloke is Matt from their product design team

I didnt get to meet and chat with him but he looks like the chap I had pointed out to me by one of the others

I'm pretty sure they are loving this intrigue stuff

me too :)

• Like 2

It would not surprise me if Airfix took all this hype and excitement and release the most obscure RAF Aircraft that none of us would guess and many likey not know , there would be a pause for thought and suddenly everyone would be buying it and thinking it's the best thing ever.

• Like 1

It would not surprise me if Airfix took all this hype and excitement and release the most obscure RAF Aircraft that none of us would guess and many likey not know , there would be a pause for thought and suddenly everyone would be buying it and thinking it's the best thing ever.

In the grand scheme of things they already have with the Swift and Shackleton :lol:

• Like 2

In the grand scheme of things they already have with the Swift and Shackleton :lol:

I guess and with them now realised and the Victor is seems British stuff is finally back on the menu and im ready to feast.

So if the obscure has become the norms maybe we could look for some even less well known inter war stuff :)

• Like 1

I guess and with them now realised and the Victor is seems British stuff is finally back on the menu and im ready to feast.

So if the obscure has become the norms maybe we could look for some even less well known inter war stuff :)

I'm surprised that they haven't gone beyond the Gladiator and Swordfish, I had hoped we might see some more inter-war stuff like the Hawker Hart/Hind, colourful subjects with many markings options and users. I'm sure they'd be a popular choice in both 1/72nd and 1/48th.

• Like 3

Airfix will know what has sold best in their range and I suspect these figures will go a long way to dictating what they release in the future. Up until now they have stuck with aircraft from 1939 onward so far as I can remember. The two WWI kits are a departure from that as the Swordfish and Gladiator are, to me at least, arguably WWII subjects. In fact, with the exception of the Harrier kits and a few modern helicopters , they seem to be sitting between 1939 and 1960-ish for most of their new products until now. I too would love to see inter-war British subjects get released but how popular will they be in the greater market? Mind you, how popular was the Javelin, how many Valiant kits have they sold, has there been a huge market for the Sea Vixen?

I guess all this goes to show I really don't know. So bring on the Hunter and Mirage III please Airfix. Let's see a Sea Fury and Supermarine S6b. Give the world some state-of-your-art Hawker Fury/Nimrod/Hart/Demon etc. Fill boxes full of dramatic artwork with quality plastic mouldings and let's hope the world receives them with open wallets. Leave the F-14/15/16/18s to other manufacturers. Instead show us a new Seafire I/II/III kit or that Spitfire XIV everyone wants. Be brave and continue the great run of interesting and more obscure (in the grand scheme of things at least) subjects we Britmodellers are enjoying. Because while we fill threads bemoaning the lack of certain types being your next latest release we are still emptying the shelves of what you have already offered us.

• Like 7

Totally agree with you Col.

All we can say (of Airfix, and let's not forget other manufacturers) that there's still a huge pool of subjects, some of which haven't been re-tooled from Frog days: Allison Mustang, Beaufort, (Sea)Venom, Sea Vixen ....

For Airfix all we know is a: That there must be reliable data b: Late 30's to mid/late 60's c: There must be a reasonable balance of type/size/era. Beyond that the pool is so great, to say nothing of improved retooling, is that it is impossible to 'predict' what might appear and when. I've given up trying. Let's just enjoy all we have in this golden age of modelling.

• Like 5

No! Not the Humbly-Pudge Gallipoli! Be still, my beating heart!!

• Like 2

Yes but it will be the little used Mk.IV variant, why they didn't do a Mk.II I just don't know...

Yes but it will be the little used Mk.IV variant, why they didn't do a Mk.II I just don't know...

So long as they don't base the kit on a Mk.IV but include decals for Mk.II options!

A cutlass is a Cutlass as in Vought F7U, a pirate is a Vought F6U, and a Buccaneer could be a HS Buccaneer or a Brewster Buccaneer. What's the difference between a pirate and a buccaneer anyway, and how would you tell them apart?

Oddly, a picture of Queen Elizabeth II would mean an Airspeed Ambassador.

:lol: Forgot about the F-7U. Now THAT would be nice - especially as the Fujimi kits are now about as rare as honest politicians!!

Allan

• Like 1