Should we be expecting a new Airfix release announcement today?

Rabbit Leader

God I really hope we get a VC10 soon but I reckon the refilling pod in the pic is more likely to be on a victor. Having said that, there is something about the pod and its pylon that doesn't quite look like it belongs on either. Unless it's my old eyes lol

Edited by speedbird
  • Like 1

God I really hope we get a VC10 soon but I reckon the refilling pod in the pic is more likely to be on a victor. Having said that, there is something about the pod and its pylon that doesn't quite look like it belongs on either. Unless it's my old eyes lol

Oh it's definately a Victor and the pictures of the Victor on the desk. I just could not resist putting in a voice to beg for a 1/72 VC-10 it would be something that :)

• Like 1

And what's that flat nosed odd thing hiding behind that hideous looking pot plant?

Looks like it's got square intakes of some sort?

Can't quite make it out as the low res image pixelates badly once enlarged.

Although I'd love to see a Victor K.1 released, somehow I think Airfix will wanna cash in on B.2 sales for a few years before releasing a tanker version.

Cheers.. Dave.

Im guessing that's to do with wing fractures at low level and fatique life. Victors did not handle low level very well nor did the valiant it seems. :)

No, this was when high level missions were thought necessary. The Valiant suffered from its metallurgy, the choice of a poor alloy which wasn't used on the Vulcan or Victor. However, with its long wing the Victor would use up its fatigue life quickly at low level.

Having been caught out by the Lancaster, Sir Fred was determined that his bomber would carry more than Avro's, this time around. I suspect that the RAF/MoD had no particular requirement for more, but weren't going to object if it came as a free option.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

The pylon looks to fit too far forward for the Victor and too far back for the VC10. If anything I'd say it looks more like a KC-10D type.

• Like 1

Is it a HDU ? Not a clear photo could be something fitted to a Buccaneer or orther seems familiar some how or some sampling pod perhaps

Please YES! In 1/72nd scale please...

I am going out on a limb and say it looks a but like the buddy refuelling store on the Scimitar.

...please NO!!!!!!!!

I still believe that just 5 new tools in 1/72 compared to 10 last year are suspiciously low. So perhaps we should expect some new announcements on the Christmas Eve. At least I want to believe so :santa:

Just to remind - in 2015 we have

- Defiant

- Whittley

- Ju 87

- He 111

- Wildcat

- Beaufighter

- Kate

- Shackleton

- Sea King

- Swift (well - it's 2014 carry over)

And next year it's only two WWI biplanes, Victor, B-17 and JP3. Sea King is due on 01-01-2016 so probably could count into 2016 as well.

I still believe that just 5 new tools in 1/72 compared to 10 last year are suspiciously low. So perhaps we should expect some new announcements on the Christmas Eve. At least I want to believe so :santa:

Just to remind - in 2015 we have

- Defiant

- Whittley

- Ju 87

- He 111

- Wildcat

- Beaufighter

- Kate

- Shackleton

- Sea King

- Swift (well - it's 2014 carry over)

And next year it's only two WWI biplanes, Victor, B-17 and JP3. Sea King is due on 01-01-2016 so probably could count into 2016 as well.

I don't think you can count the Swift in 2015; those of us in the US got ours in 2014, although many had defects. If you move the Sea King to 2016 as well then there were 8 new 1/72 kits in 2015. Additionally, there was only one completely new 1/48 kit this year: the Hurricane Mk.I (the Spitfire Mk.I was just a mod of the Mk.Vb in 2014). Next year there are four: Defiant, P-40B, Ju 87B-1, and Meteor F.8. Since there is probably quite a bit more work in designing a 1/48 kit versus a 1/72 it's probably reasonable to expect that the number of new 1/72 kits would be reduced. When you add them all up and include the Sea King, there will be 10 new aircraft tools in 2016 plus the US airfield vehicle set for a total of 11. In 2015 there were 9 new aircraft tools plus the Albion refueller and the Bedford MWD, which also totals 11. I do think there will be one or two surprise announcements during the year and there should be some new club kits early in 2016, though these are usually just decal changes or minor parts changes.

Edited by VMA131Marine

Is that a Teaser on the Airfix Facebook page today? Second photo has the 3D design of a HDU...

image_2.jpeg

:lol: Personally, I think Airfix are winding us up and are watching the rumour machine go into overdrive as we all look at a bit of a picture and then add two and two together to make five! What next ? Airfix's F B page showing a picture of a rose bush on a PC screen which somehow translates into speculation about a model of a Flower Class Corvette? A picture of a curved sword that is interpreted as a Supermarine Scimitar? A picture of a seafaring gentleman holding a cutlass between his teeth as he swings from the deck of his ship onto another is interpreted as a Buccaneer (or Pirate?) . A picture of King Harold getting his eye poked out with an arrow is interpreted as a model of a H P Hastings? A picture of King Henry VIII somehow means an Avro Tudor?. A picture of Commander Spock means a new Vulcan is on the way? :lol::lol:

It IS good fun though all this rumour and speculation. I love it. Bring it on!

Allan

ps - A Victor K1/B1 WOULD be nice though

pps a 1/72 VC-10 would be even nicer!!

ppps - a new Vulcan would be even MORE nice!

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

Why would Airfix be keeping anything back for 2016, is there any proof ? They will make announcements for 2017 in 2016.

I think what they have announced is what we will see, which is quite a bit.

Robert

Why would Airfix be keeping anything back for 2016, is there any proof ? They will make announcements for 2017 in 2016.

I think what they have announced is what we will see, which is quite a bit.

Robert

But why would Airfix post a picture of Random Bloke otherwise?

Trevor

• Like 1

the only 2016 announcements they are keeping back is the new club kits we are promise early next year (though where are the ones we were promised this year?), which won't be new tools just reboxs

That's the announcement I'm eagerly awaiting, as I recently joined the Club and have a £20 voucher to spend, I'm rather hoping that we might see a Limited Edition 1/48 Sea Hurricane, as the necessary parts are already in the base kit.

based on the context, I assumed he meant there's plenty more to come in future years. Airfix already know what they will release in 2017. The 2018 program is probably mostly set and decisions for 2019 will be well along. This means that they are already reaching out to subject matter experts and the like to gather reference material in preparation for actual design work. Design work for the 2017 program is probably well-advanced for at least the early-in-the-year releases.

:lol: Personally, I think Airfix are winding us up and are watching the rumour machine go into overdrive as we all look at a bit of a picture and then add two and two together to make five! What next ? Airfix's F B page showing a picture of a rose bush on a PC screen which somehow translates into speculation about a model of a Flower Class Corvette? A picture of a curved sword that is interpreted as a Supermarine Scimitar? A picture of a seafaring gentleman holding a cutlass between his teeth as he swings from the deck of his ship onto another is interpreted as a Buccaneer (or Pirate?) . A picture of King Harold getting his eye poked out with an arrow is interpreted as a model of a H P Hastings? A picture of King Henry VIII somehow means an Avro Tudor?. A picture of Commander Spock means a new Vulcan is on the way? :lol::lol:

Allan

A cutlass is a Cutlass as in Vought F7U, a pirate is a Vought F6U, and a Buccaneer could be a HS Buccaneer or a Brewster Buccaneer. What's the difference between a pirate and a buccaneer anyway, and how would you tell them apart?

Oddly, a picture of Queen Elizabeth II would mean an Airspeed Ambassador.

• Like 1

I think Airfix have been very shrewd with the change of tack on kit releases this year

• By keeping us watching for new releases
  • By using Facebook for teasers
  • Adding the future releases to the website for pre-orders allows them to determine the sales potential and cash flow that the release may create
  • By having their own forum for discussion
  • Changing from a catalogue to a year book (with build articles) – (not seen it yet, but think it may have a wider appeal than a catalogue that is all available on line).

No matter what the subject is, I have been very impressed with the Kits they have been producing.

PS I see that the Pearl Harbour set now shows a Zero, Kate & P40

• Like 2

Allan

Yes to all three they need to get to Duxford and lidar scan XH648 the last B1 before they scrap it , apparently she's under threat

• Like 1