Should we be expecting a new Airfix release announcement today?

Rabbit Leader

Although I was not disappointed with last years Telford announcements, I know there were many here & elsewhere that were.

I doubt that Airfix would suggest 'BIG' news unless they really mean it, however stranger things have happened.

Perhaps we could see the complete 2016 new tool line up, rather than wasting every 2nd Friday day/night (subject to timezones) playing the computer/phone/tablet refresh game - although it is kinda fun isn't it!!

Cheers.. Dave.

They must be empty boxes in my PlasticFantastic then!

...and don't check fleabay...

The operative word was first batch; Airfix has now produced a second. To amplify, Airfix sold all of the first batch, either to retailers, which is why you see kits in stores, or to customers, and thus Airfix had no more of the first batch in stock themselves.

Could it be a suggestion?

https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270.112940.65102591270/10153623219681271/?type=3&theater

Here's Peter Andrews's #WorkspaceWednesday from last week, getting some work done on the classic Wellington B.III.

What do you have on the go at the mo? Post us a pic of your workspace for a chance to be featured!
Edited by Botan

I guess a 1/72 Wellington will be on the cards sometime soonish (2-3 years?), if only because the RAFM example is having a thorough restoration, including re covering the airframe.

I still think that a tin wing Hurricane I and Spitfire Vc in 1/72 are 'no brainers' and will happen soon.

Trevor

The operative word was first batch; Airfix has now produced a second. To amplify, Airfix sold all of the first batch, either to retailers, which is why you see kits in stores, or to customers, and thus Airfix had no more of the first batch in stock themselves.

But manufacturers moving a first batch to retailers means nothing. They need to move them off the retailers shelves to sell the subsequent batches otherwise these will be sat in the warehouse eating money as opposed to making money, and the first batch will be filling shelf space that faster selling kits could occupy.

If the shops cant sell them, and I don't simply mean internet suppliers to avid UK fanatics in week 1, then it will be a long grind towards prifit - remember the Nimrod or Valiant...hype, mass sales, lots of WIPs and shows...then quiet...

I guess a 1/72 Wellington will be on the cards sometime soonish (2-3 years?), if only because the RAFM example is having a thorough restoration, including re covering the airframe.

I still think that a tin wing Hurricane I and Spitfire Vc in 1/72 are 'no brainers' and will happen soon.

Trevor

Good afternoon Trevor

I agree with you we really need a tin wing Hurricane mk 1 and a Spit Vb and Vc in 72 scale in 2016..

Patrice

• Like 1

How old is the Airfix EFA2000? Sorry not into modern jets much so don't know but if it is ancient (and I think it is) makes sense for Airfix to release a new tool, of course a Jaguar and Tornado are probably just as much needed for upgrade by Airfix. Unless their "big" release is a 1/48th scale Typhoon

Edited by Charlie Hugo

Just think what a variety of typhoons you could have on a display shelf

Grey single seater

Grey 2 seater

WW2 special scheme

Tiger stripes

And...err...err...err...

Well I suppose there's plenty of software variety if you have it plugged in to monitor with lines of code running!

Mr Airfix, where is my fortnightly fix? not that it matters much as we are still awaiting He111P, Defiant (although for some oddity had the starter pack) Swift and a couple other recent releases

My never erring Crystal Ball predicts an announcement that they have bought Heller in to the Hornby fold (I want to say Matchbox too but Revell lawyers won't let me).

Also we will see a brand new 'classic" range as a result.

Think of all those types no-one else has kitted, at least in the mainstream...and an excuse to rerelease some nice Airfix old moulds without seemingly trying to pass them off in new boxes as new moulds (surely a 'classic stripe' box isn't that difficult).

...and now wake up feeling sad... :(

Grey single seater

Grey 2 seater

WW2 special scheme

Tiger stripes

And...err...err...err...

Well I suppose there's plenty of software variety if you have it plugged in to monitor with lines of code running!

Black! Black!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IIW9sL-Yf6Q

Trevor

• Like 1

5 past 1 and still no announcement, too close to Telford perhaps?

That's my usual Friday excitement gone then!!

The 'big announcement' is that they are going back to only announcing their tooling programme at the Toy Fair as the junkies (sorry, customers) they sell kits to were getting overly excited by all this Social Media nonsense. :banghead:

• Like 2

Grey single seater

Grey 2 seater

WW2 special scheme

Tiger stripes

And...err...err...err...

Oh! you can do much more:

- grey Luftwaffe single/twin seater

- grey Ejército del Aire single/twin seater

- grey Aeronautica Militare single/twin seater

- grey Austrian AF version

- and ultimately two-tone grey RSAF version!

Something Big at Telford could be just the car door Typhoon in sample form alone. It is a bit much to expect several kits to be announced 26 times a year. What would be nice is - to see actual sample kits of some of those past announcements at Telford. If it takes months to gear up a new kit with radar, all this talk of Phantom and Sea Fury would all be next year. Now what would be really nice, would be to have an actual stock of NEW kits for the crowd at Telford (AEW Shack, Sea King HC.4...). Would that tick-off retailers? If a completely new kit (in each scale) was released with no prior hints - think of the draw to show each year.

switching to fantasy mode

- a new family of Firefly, Barracuda, Oxford, Meteor F.8 etc...

PM

• Like 1

Oh! you can do much more:

- grey Luftwaffe single/twin seater

- grey Ejército del Aire single/twin seater

- grey Aeronautica Militare single/twin seater

- grey Austrian AF version

- and ultimately two-tone grey RSAF version!

So that adds:

Grey with a tiny cross

Grey with a tiny triangle

Grey with various increasingly small faded colour roundels

Or finally two shades of virtually identical greys with a tiny green roundel.

...Thank goodness for the JASDF and their not-quite-100% grey chickens :)

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1