Revell 1/72 SA.365Fi Dauphin 2 - Irish Air Corps

Dermo245

Hi everyone,

Following on from the Irish Air Corps Gazelle I built earlier this year, I was asked by the same person to finish him a kit that had been started of an Irish Dauphin, also from our Air Corps.

Here's the real thing Irish Air Corps Dauphin on Airliners.Net

And this is the kit as I got it with a resin aftermarket nose already added and some other bits started. This kit is the Matchbox issue of this one, later re-released by Revell.

Irish_Air_Corps_Dauphin_1_72_1_zpsxx5xq4

Now I won't go into all the details but this kit isn't that accurate for a modern Dauphin but I'm not going to change all those things because I just don't have the skills! But will try to bring the old girl to a decent, acceptable level.

Added a scratchbuilt bench seat in the back with belts from tape, front and back. Also repainted the cockpit to be more accurate.

IMG_3296_zpsfnizvnva.jpg

New collectives for up the front office. I also cut out the rear sliding door to have it open.

IMG_3297_zpsg9ixdmjl.jpg

Underneath, I added the distinctive fuel dump line and radar blade antennae. The bigger resin bit at the back was already added with the nose bit when I got the kit.

IMG_3298_zpsiuy8rcgy.jpg

Revell_Irish_Air_Corps_Dauphin_1_72_Pain

And here she is with a coat of primer and a couple of coats of Revell Acrylic Light Grey 36371. I've masked the tail rotor bit as part of that stays white (tricky) and also the upper engine panel which is white on the sides and bright red on top.

When I took off the front canopy to give it a coat of Klear, there was a nasty stress crack on one side. So a replacement from a donor kit in the spares box will be needed. Having built this kit before, the airframe glass can be more than a bit fiddly to fit...ho hum.

Thanks for looking and more soon!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 7

Thanks all and paint underway...hard to tell but there are 2-3 coats of light grey on at this stage! Nose in matt black.

Then the bright red added...still some tidying up to be done in places..

And the clear bits added. When I get around to building this kit again, I'd definitely add the cockpit glass first, tidy it all up and then paint it....I'd probably also change the sequence of how you add the glass as I'd say that improves the fit.

All in all, a bit of work still to do!

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 9

Great work so far Dermot.

Have you seen the Dream model Dauphin II kit ? I didn't realise it had been released until a friend mentioned it. I've got the matchbox boxing of this kit and now the dream model kit too. looking to build both simultaneously, one as a 365N the other a 365N2 in Bond helicopter livery.

quite an attractive aircraft the Dauphin, and this will look great next to your Gazelle.

• Like 1

Great work so far Dermot.

Have you seen the Dream model Dauphin II kit ? I didn't realise it had been released until a friend mentioned it. I've got the matchbox boxing of this kit and now the dream model kit too. looking to build both simultaneously, one as a 365N the other a 365N2 in Bond helicopter livery.

quite an attractive aircraft the Dauphin, and this will look great next to your Gazelle.

Cheers Aaron and yep, same as you - didn't realise there was a new Dauphin kit until someone told me about it. Based on the inbox review here on Britmodeller, the Dream Model kit looks light years ahead of the Revell one and has the correct larger tail.

I'll have great pics of these two as they're off to grace someone else's shelf! (lucky him)

This is really going to come to life once those Irish roundels and the St Brendan badge go on!

Martin

Thanks Martin and yep, not many decals but the roundels and St Brendan badge are brightening it up!

Looks great Dermot,

Much better than my effort of the same subject from 18 years or so ago,.......I`l`m looking forward to seeing it finished,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hi all.

Got the decals done on this one - not many of them. A big thank you to Britmodeller Lazlo Woodbine (aka Gary) for donating these as the originals are long out of stock. I went for a/c 244 which was the first Dauphin II accepted into Irish service.The blue cheat line decals unfortunately had a really bad reaction with water....so I had to go back over them with paint which wasn't ideal.

Revell_Irish_Air_Corps_Dauphin_1_72_Deca

And as she looked last night with the final bits added. The winch is scratchbuilt from a bomb casing.

Revell_Irish_Air_Corps_Dauphin_1_72_Done

Will post some more pics over in RFI.

Revell_Irish_Air_Corps_SA_365Fi_Dauphin2

To be honest, she's not my best build and the kit fought me all the way, especially the fit of the canopy sections. It's not the most accurate Dauphin by a long way and the kit could really do with some more surface detail, if I had the time and expertise! But I suppose it looks a little like a Dauphin and happy to have finished it.

Thanks for looking.

All the best,
Dermot

• Like 5

You've done a great job Dermot, I agree that some surface detail would be nice but it is an old kit. Shame about the cheat line decals.

It certainly looks like a dauphin, and a nice one at that.

• Like 1

Looking good, always liked the Dauphin. What did you use to tint the clear parts green?

Managed to get your transfers in the post yesterday btw. :)

Cheers Stu! Will get yours away tomorrow.

The green is Tamiya Clear green, brushed on. It can be an absolute pain with brushmarks if you're not careful though.....

Dermot