Airfix He 111 - a first Group Build

Hi all,

As you can see I'm a new member of the Forum and this will be my first attempt at a Group Build, so apologies if I breach etiquette in anyway.

I normally stick to RAF subjects, but I saw the new Airfix He 111 and was curious. I'll be using the KG 55 decals which I assume qualify as Battle of Britain markings. I'm normally quite slow to finish a kit - so the deadline could be a challenge, but I'll give it my best go.

(first attempt to add pics so fingers crossed).

He%20111%2001_zpsodnvovrh.jpg

He%20111%2003_zpsucbh9x7h.jpg

He%20111%2002_zpsmqizlb6k.jpg

He%20111%2004_zpsxvapkoks.jpg

First impressions of the kit are generally favourable, the panel lines are deeper than I would prefer, but Airfix are improving here and the clear parts are bit bit thick and distorting - I think it'll turn out OK though.

Dave.

• Like 12

It's a splendid kit; enough detail for most of us straight from the box but room for detail freaks to go to town. Mine's already reached major sub assembly stage and I'm a notoriously slow builder. Look out for the main undercarriage units: parts D25 are very fragile and I've found them difficult to line up and install.

Welcome Dave,look forward to the thread,It look's to be a superb kit on the sprue,my eldest picked up the new Beaufighter today and if the quality

of this kit is the same your in for a treat!

Nice, very Nice. I now know that I want one. If I have seen it correctly there are two types of exhausts?!

Good luck with your build and I will watch this one.

Cheers,

Hi Dave,

You beat me to it, you rascal !!

Mines winging its way across the English Channel (the kit that is) as I type, so I will be following in your foot steps & copying ideas from you left, right & centre!

Looks like a great kit at a very fair price as well & I'm right 'up for it'

Thanks for all the welcomes,

I now have some new progress photos. I haven't spent much time on the rear part of the interior, when the fuselage halves are brought together I can't see any detail inside. The consensus among the experts seems to be in favour of RLM66 for the interior with some in favour of RLM02 - I'm no expert on the Luftwaffe, so just to crack on I went with RLM66 for the interior and RLM02 for the tail wheel area.

A test fit suggests there will be no major problems assembling the wings and fuselage.

Hopefully more pics soon.

Dave.

He%20111%2005_zpsdn40znz5.jpg

He%20111%2006_zps7tmagw2z.jpg

He%20111%2007_zpsgqtrgpzj.jpg

• Like 8

A bit more progress....

I've got all the big bits together and given them a rub down.

He%20111%2008_zps0q8ybthn.jpg

He%20111%2009_zpsmbkgrysy.jpg

It went together well enough, apart from the engines which required a fair bit of sanding - that could be due to my ham-fistedness though.

I'll fit the gondola next and then it should be ready for some primer.

Dave.

• Like 8

Hi Dave,

Hi Dave

I've been following your build from the start with envious eyes - good job so far!

I pre-ordered mine from Airfix & paid for it nearly a month ago - but it still hasn't arrived, so there's a bit of a dispute going on there.

I have literally just got off that popular internet auction site having bought the Revell/Hasagawa H6 which will be with me by Friday, so which ever one arrives first will be entered in my 'Dog fight double' build. It will be interesting to see how the kits compare, since the only real difference in reality was the engines & props.

Keep the updates coming,

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress, but finally ready for painting.............

I was going to leave the greenhouse off until I'd painted on the camo., but the lower half of the greenhouse was warped and good couple of mil. out. So I decided to get the cockpit finished and glue the greenhouse on and get the tube of filler out. By gluing one side of the greenhouse on letting it set and then gluing and taping the other side on, I managed to get it to fit close enough to use filler.

Cockpit finished with the obligatory masking tape seatbelts.

He%20111%2010_zpspm30wpss.jpg

He%20111%2011_zpsgrh3hi6j.jpg

Filled, sanded and a little paint to see how it looked. I opted to go with the Eduard Masking set, it took about three hours to get it all on, but saved a lot of time and hopefully it'll look better than if I'd done it myself.

He%20111%2012_zpsycdavftv.jpg

He%20111%2013_zps3vogn23u.jpg

And finally on with the Primer.

He%20111%2014_zpspzui6chl.jpg

He%20111%2015_zpsoqex4fle.jpg

So, out with the airbrush next, which always a tense time for me. If muck it anywhere it'll be on the paint job - so fingers crossed for the weekend.

Dave.

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

looking good :thumbsup: & you're making more progress than me!

My Revell/Hasagawa 111 isn't the 'seamless' build I was led to believe - or maybe I've just been spoilt by the last 1/2 dozen or so new tool Airfix builds!

Its proving to be of interest to study your photos & compare them to my plastic and see where they have gone down a different road with each including a little more detail here & a little less there - keep posting!

Cheers for now

Craig

Well I got the paint on without too much drama.

First some Hellblau (Xtracrylix RLM65)

He%20111%2016_zpsogj65qav.jpg

Then some Drunkelgrun (Xtracrylix RLM71)

He%20111%2017_zpsz5fbq8dt.jpg

Masking tape-tastic

He%20111%2018_zpsd7a95jjq.jpg

and..........

finally............

ta-da! - Schwarzgrun (Xtracrylix RLM70). It was great relief that the tape came off with almost no paint stuck to it - unlike my previous experience with Xtracrylixs.

He%20111%2019_zpsa68oyrfm.jpg

OK - back to the fun bits, now most of the paint is on.

• Like 4

Just got this kit, and it a real gem. However, as I do not build anything with a swastika on it, I would like to build it as He 111H-1 AW177 of the RAF's No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight. Any hints/suggestions for conversion and color/marking details?

Excellent job on the paintwork there Dave B)

Just got this kit, and it a real gem. However, as I do not build anything with a swastika on it, I would like to build it as He 111H-1 AW177 of the RAF's No. 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight. Any hints/suggestions for conversion and color/marking details?

This any help? Only thing is AW177 was an 'H' version not a 'P'.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update.........

A coat of Klear has been brushed on and nearly all the decals are on. I'm fairly new to using this floor polish stuff and I'm bit skeptical about it at the moment. I can appreciate the value of it's gloss and hardness, but I don't think the decals settled into the panel lines (using Micro-sol) as well as the would have with Micro-gloss. Next time I'm going to try airbrushing Micro-gloss for comparison. There's a few bits still to fit and some retouching to do, but it looks as though I'll have time to get the finishing touches done and some photos taken by next weekend - but the deadline is going to be a bit tight.

He%20111%2020_zpsoyul2ogr.jpg

He%20111%2021_zps0cdmlvid.jpg

Dave.

• Like 5