Cessna 152

robvulcan

I certainly agree that it is a very significant aircraft. It would be really interesting to see the market research that companies use when building the case for any particular aircraft wouldn't it? That would put many of these discussions to rest I suspect. Don't know about you, but nobody has ever phoned me up and asked how much I'd be willing to pay for an IM 1:72 VC-10, 1:24 GR9, [insert personal soap box item list here]?

I propose an annual BM survey! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I certainly agree that it is a very significant aircraft. It would be really interesting to see the market research that companies use when building the case for any particular aircraft wouldn't it? That would put many of these discussions to rest I suspect. Don't know about you, but nobody has ever phoned me up and asked how much I'd be willing to pay for an IM 1:72 VC-10, 1:24 GR9, [insert personal soap box item list here]?

I propose an annual BM survey! :winkgrin:

I think thats a great Idea. I often wonder how they work it out as all my life I have been into models and not once have I encountered any company reaching out to ask "What do you want"

A 1/24th Harrier GR9 would be amazing. as would a 1/72 VC-10. and of course any V bombers. And a little cessna would be fun.

• Like 1

The Airfix Cherokee has been re-issued more than once, so someone must have bought them. Personally, I'd like to see Airfix make a Europa, an RV or a BA Eagle, but I'm happy to settle for them staying in business and me scratch-building something from time to time.

• Like 2

I seem to remember that Western models brought out a white metal kit of the Cessna 150 in the 80's. I managed to pick up a couple of press packs from Cessna and Beechcraft a few years ago with drawings for all the then current types.

John

Did someone mention a BA Eagle! I've almost completed a set of drawings for this aeroplane as it's always been a favorite of mine and both the published (Franklin and Miranda)) drawings are inaccurate as are the Flight ones

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to fly EI-BMM and EI-BMN at the Iona Aero Club, Dublin Airport in the early 1980s

Yes I think I have both of those in my logbook. Mike November for sure. It's still going strong now flying out of Weston. Not sure what happened to MM. But I remember seeing it up close just below me once back in the eighties. Closest I ever came to a mid air collision. Saw the whites of the pilot's eyes!

As for a model. It is to be fair a significant gap for an aircraft as ubiquitous as the Cessna 150/152. So many pilots and others had their first flight and first solo in one. I certainly did. 13-June-1981. Bravo Charlie Victor. There has to be some kind of market for a good model. Same goes for the 172.

But in the hope one comes out one day. I still have the brochure for a '79 model Cessna 152 which I picked up in the Iona clubhouse way back then. Great reference material if only there was a model.

Another aircraft I would love to buy as a kit is one that will never see the light of day. The Gippsland Airvan. I doubt if a model of one of those ever sees the light of day.

I learned to fly on a 152 & have been looking out for ages for a kit. I did start a balsa one, but that stalled when she who must be obeyed did some tidying up, since then I've not been able to find the nose !

your particular airframe appears to have been written off after an attempted forced landing in a field.

Models I simply MUST build:

Cessna 152 G-BGVI- first solo & qualifying cross-country

Super VC10 G-ASGF - first airliner I travelled on

Concorde G-BOAE - fastest & most beautiful airliner I ever travelled on

Laker airlines DC10 - scariest airliner I ever travelled on (two aborted take-offs)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Reading all this I will just make what I have and enjoy it. I have enough on the go at the moment converting Vulcan's Victor's to B1, B1a etc and its very time consuming so till they are done I will just keep building what’s on offer and hope we see more commercial light weights on offer.

I like to go to Wellesbourne Airfield not just to see XM655 but the light aircraft types fascinate me and are a joy to watch. It seems popular in reality and I can imagine in 1/72 some great dios could be made as its quite an interesting and diverse scene.

Rob :)

Well Rob, John Aero was spot on. I have in front of me a copy of the December 1982 Scale Models magazine where the Western Models kit was briefly reviewed and described as a 'very fine model', cast in white metal in the main which could be screwed together in one go! Brass etched struts and undercarriage. A pair of seats, instrument panel and yokes. The photo looks very much like a Dinky/Corgi car in that you can see a gaping chasm where the lowere fuselage joins the upper below strut level and angling up to the spinner - nothing modern fillers wouldn't sort out! The kit retailed at £10.35 including postage at a time when a Hasegawa 1/48th Hughes 500 retailed at £2.99 so not cheap. I am not familiar with Western Models but I gather they had a very good reputation in the model car world (not my ball game). If you are keen I bet you could get hold of a Cessna if it was basically white metal but I have certainly never seen one.

Simon

• Like 1

Well Rob, John Aero was spot on. I have in front of me a copy of the December 1982 Scale Models magazine where the Western Models kit was briefly reviewed and described as a 'very fine model', cast in white metal in the main which could be screwed together in one go! Brass etched struts and undercarriage. A pair of seats, instrument panel and yokes. The photo looks very much like a Dinky/Corgi car in that you can see a gaping chasm where the lowere fuselage joins the upper below strut level and angling up to the spinner - nothing modern fillers wouldn't sort out! The kit retailed at £10.35 including postage at a time when a Hasegawa 1/48th Hughes 500 retailed at £2.99 so not cheap. I am not familiar with Western Models but I gather they had a very good reputation in the model car world (not my ball game). If you are keen I bet you could get hold of a Cessna if it was basically white metal but I have certainly never seen one.

Simon

Thanks for that it sounds like a great kit but I bet it's rare as Hens teeth now ! :)

I've been picking up 1/72 light aircraft aircraft kits over the past couple of months. So far I have the following in my stash -

Aurora PA-23 Aztec (I bought this one years ago)

Airfix PA-28 Cheokee

Airfix - Cessna O-2 Skymaster

Eidai Beech 35 Bonanza

Airfix Beagle 206 Basset

Airfix Auster Antarctic (another one I picked up quite a while ago)

KP Piper Cub

• Like 1

I've been picking up 1/72 light aircraft aircraft kits over the past couple of months. So far I have the following in my stash -

That is a nice list of kits most of which I have not seen and now fancy adding to the stash. The beagle basset looks nice :)

Aurora PA-23 Aztec (I bought this one years ago)

Airfix PA-28 Cheokee

Airfix - Cessna O-2 Skymaster

Eidai Beech 35 Bonanza

Airfix Beagle 206 Basset

Airfix Auster Antarctic (another one I picked up quite a while ago)

KP Piper Cub

Hi Eric,

don't forget the mighty Airfix Beaver that comes up on a regular basis on Ebay. There's plenty of civilian decals available and you can do a choice of three different under carriages! Again it's a bit 'rivet proud' but comes out well smart.

Gremlin did a range of 1/72 Piper & Cessna twins. Hannants used to stock them, but none are listed now, so I guess they're out of production. I've got a Cessna 411, it's basically a full resin kit, but with the whole cabin top as a vacformed clear piece - unfortunately there's only one! It's that bit that has stopped me starting it so far, I need to give attaching the thing some more thought! The kit comes with decals for two aircraft from the French Flight Test Centre & one civvie Aussie machine - how well they work remains to be seen!

The instruction sheet gives a list of the other Cessna's they did, but there's no mention of the Pipers. The Cessna's done (at the time) were - 208,335,340,401,402,404,406,421,425,441

If anyone wants a Bassett, you need to pre-order one with Airfix or they won't produce it - & if they do, they'll only fulfill the pre-orders, so it'll be back to e-bay prices...!!

And Rob, they were used as V-bomber crew transports!

HTH

Keith

Hi Eric,

don't forget the mighty Airfix Beaver that comes up on a regular basis on Ebay.

That's another choice in the Airfix kitstarter list!

• Like 1

I picked up a Basset for a reasonable price (£6 I think) at a Farnborough Modelfest a couple of years ago. Model shows are the best bet for getting rarer kits at reasonable prices.

Edited by Eric Mc

I picked up a Basset for a reasonable price (£6 I think) at a Farnborough Modelfest a couple of years ago. Model shows are the best bet for getting rarer kits at reasonable prices.

I managed to get one through a trade on here. Problem is, like many kits of this vintage the decal sheet is shot, and although many markings are generic there is type specific stencilling needed, so I hope if the kitstarter does go ahead that it has decent decals.

K