Cessna 152

robvulcan

I may have asked this before. But I don't think so.

Does anyone produce a 1/72 Cessna 152 or similar. I have a 1/48 Cessna 150.

I once had lessons In G-BISB and wish to make a model of it but no photos are available. I am unsure if there are any external Differences between the 150 and 152.

I would even be interested in 1/144 but I bet there is nothing for that.

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan

Thanks for that it surprises me there are not more kits of this nature they are pretty little planes and a familiar sight to us all

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Does anyone produce a 1/72 Cessna 152 or similar. I have a 1/48 Cessna 150.

AZ Models have had a 1/72 scale Cessna 150 listed in their "future releases" for a few years. It was supposed to be released late last year, but it is still awaited. I recall seeing a discussion on another forum sometime in the last few months in which AZ Models indicated it is definitely coming but is still in development at this stage.

• Like 1

AZ Models have had a 1/72 scale Cessna 150 listed in their "future releases" for a few years. It was supposed to be released late last year, but it is still awaited. I recall seeing a discussion on another forum sometime in the last few months in which AZ Models indicated it is definitely coming but is still in development at this stage.

That is great news thanks :) I hope it bears fruit

Rob, off the top of my head the main external difference is the engine cowling, which is more open on the 150. Most flying school aircraft have no wheel spats (so you can marvel at the bald tyres and worn brakes)

Interiors are ALL different (don't think I've seen 2 the same). If you want it to look authentic, it needs to look like it's been slowly falling apart since 1970...

Shout when you have a kit and I'll sort you out some detail photos. Or toddle down here and get Kim to take you on an aerobatic lesson in G-BIMT.

Edit: 150 Cowl vs 152 Cowl

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 4

Rob, off the top of my head the main external difference is the engine cowling, which is more open on the 150. Most flying school aircraft have no wheel spats (so you can marvel at the bald tyres and worn brakes)

Interiors are ALL different (don't think I've seen 2 the same). If you want it to look authentic, it needs to look like it's been slowly falling apart since 1970...

Shout when you have a kit and I'll sort you out some detail photos. Or toddle down here and get Kim to take you on an aerobatic lesson in G-BIMT.

Edit: 150 Cowl vs 152 Cowl

Thanks very much and it would be wonderful to continue flying lessons. I could not afford it though I bet.

Its Ironic only last night the mrs said I should get flying lessons then we can fly all over :)

Note that the nose on a Cessna 150 changed throughout the years and has a few differing shapes. The 1/48 kit has a pre-71 shape as is the pic showed in post #9.

from '71 until the 152 entered the market in '78, the cowling then featured the dual side openings. The cowling changed slightly for the 152 due to the change from Continental power to Lycoming power. Lots of pics on Airliners.net will show the changes by year.

ps and then there's the landing gear change from spring to tubular steel in '71

Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 1

Thanks folks. Does anyone have any photos of G-Bisb sadly she crashed I hear. I'd love to see

Her again.

I have a 1/48 Minicraft 150 here think I will build as is to wet my appetite for this sort of aircraft.

Cheers Rob :)

Slight thread hijack by 20. Considering the Cessna '172' is the most produced aircraft in the world (I think?), it's incredible to think there's no mainstream kit in 1:72. I'd love one as I fly in such a beast quite frequently and a model of it would be great. With the right decals and box art I'm sure Airfix might like to make one as a stocking filler, it would be a slow burn but steady seller as far as I can guess (I know sod all but I can hope -based on the number of 172 owners). :banghead:

• Like 1

Cheers all info welcome I too am shocked there are not more models of small commercial aircraft as they are a common site to us all, interesting subjects and a nice size to build up a decent collection and make up dios with.

In 1/72 they would be great to use with 1/76 00 and H0 model rail items flying over the layout.

I understand the pit varies in detail colours are something I need to pick. Along with schemes I have no idea if there are after market for the 1/48 minicraft 150 or if there are easy schemes to replicate. Plain white maybe

In addition to the previously mentioned changes:

The switch from flat to tubular steel for the landing gear increased the track from 6'6" to 7'6".

The wheel pants for the 152 are the same as on the late model 150's which are quite different to the earlier types.

The 150M and 152 models have a 6" increase in the height of the fin and rudder.

The wingtips can also vary. 150s and 152s can have the 'conical cambered wingtips' which to me seem more common but they can also have the earlier more 'conventional' wingtip. I've seen pictures of the same 152 with both at different times in its life so I presume they are interchangeable.

The Continental engine of the 150s has twin exhaust pipes whereas the Lycoming of the 152 has a larger, single exhaust.

There are also a few different options for wheels as well.

As always, check your photos/references if you can for the plane you want to build then build it as you want to build it.

I've seen a 1/72 Cessna 150 by Czech Master Resin mentioned on scalemates.com but haven't found it anywhere else on the net.

Peter

• Like 1

The relative lack of 1/72 GA types has long been lamented (there was an extensive list compiled on here a while back I believe?). It seems that a fair number would be interested in them. I suppose the lack is related to the paucity of models of standard road cars too, they are not seen by manufacturers as suitably glamourous to be big sellers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. I hope we do start to see just a trickle at least of Cessna and Light aircraft etc.

I know 1/72 is small but thats the point with all the 1/72 stuff available its easy to forget how bit they are and how small a cessna is.

Perhaps some civilian duo kit like dogfight double for civilian aircraft would be nice. Say a Cessna and a micro light in 1/72 or a Leer Jet and Glider.

I think the odd kit of something more familiar would break up a range nicely. I would buy it I bet a fair few others would but how many is the question. I imagine it would be good impulse buy kit.

I suspect that the problem is that a 1:72 C152 may have a tiny fraction of demand shown for yet another Spitfire. :rolleyes:

Also, fabulous as they are (don't get me wrong - I too want to make a model C152), I find it hard to argue against those who find them pig-ugly as compared with, say, Rutan designed general aviation aircraft. :shutup:

Kirk

• Like 1

I suspect that the problem is that a 1:72 C152 may have a tiny fraction of demand shown for yet another Spitfire. :rolleyes:

Also, fabulous as they are (don't get me wrong - I too want to make a model C152), I find it hard to argue against those who find them pig-ugly as compared with, say, Rutan designed general aviation aircraft. :shutup:

Kirk

Well The Spitfire I also love and it is clear that is very popular and always will be but its so popular its one of the kits that should go toward paying for the still justifiably popular enough to sell kits of. Not much in the Aviation world compares with spitfires on popularity level. But some of us in younger Generations remember Cessna's and have a similar fondness. Surely its just as important an airframe in a different manner for peace time. Its certainly as significant as a great many other subjects. I mean if they can make the Blom Voss which few people have heard of or likely care for Cessna must surely fit be worth kitting I could be wrong. This world sure seems so mad at the moment I find it hard to understand what goes through some peoples heads.

Rob :)