Micro Sol does not soften the decals

Cromm Cruac

you could also try a drop of tamiya x20a. apparently its good for setting decals but whatever you do dont wipe it of disturb it after application, its a thinner after all and will damage the paint . just brush a small amount on and leave it.

and as always, try it with a scrap decal first!!

• 4 months later...

Just found this so apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I wanted to share this one.

A new (to me) technique that I have been using with amazing results is to use a quick blast from a hair-drier onto a recalcitrant decal and then add solution of choice. If you watch the decal carefully you can gauge the amount of hot air you give the decal as it can be seen to visibly soften and wrinkle. It seems to somehow modify the carrier film in some way as it apparently changes it's response to setting solution.

Try it and see for yourself - recommend experimenting first though!

As a further endorsement of Klear, I have found the old Klear is amazing for thick/stiff decals - it will even make old Esci decals conform perfectly when every other setting solution wouldn't even touch them.

Cheers

Rick

The decals I have problem now are from Academy and yes, they seem pretty thick.

Use Tamiya Mark Fit. It's more aggressive than Microscale's Sol and Set or Vallejo's Decal Fix. I have and use all of the aforementioned. From experience I concur that Academy's decals can be thick. Mark Fit applied per instructions should sort them.

I use Micro Sol and Set, and I also find that it comes down to the decals being applied, some require several coats of Sol (sometimes 10+) to make them conform and some decals it takes one coat only and it very quickly conforms to the surface.

I've heard that the Gunze products are quite good, but they're slightly harder to get hold of as I can get Micro Sol/Set from my LHS, but I'd have to buy the others online.

Hopefully you've managed to sort out your problem, it's invoked a good discussion about what products are good for applying decals, I've definitely learnt something reading about everyone's experiences.

Rich