RAF/BrAF Yellowjacket FRS.1 & FA.2 (Hornet F/A-18C & E) in 1/144

charlie_c67

11FD7DB9-1FE4-4505-8E33-21CACDC9A543_zps

Start of the day pic, annoyingly my poly cement has gummed up the needle as usual. Not sure how to sort that but I'll figure something!

Backstory

In the 1960's, as Britain was dismantling her Empire and transforming it into the Commonwealth, the States of Malaysia and Brunei were given their independence. Opposed to the union of the North Borneo, Sarawak and Malay states was Indonesia, to the point where tensions were ramped up and minor skirmishes occurred between 1963 and 1966. Action by Britain, Australia, Brunei, Malaysia and New Zealand caused Indonesia and its communist allies to back down allowing the completion of the Federation...in the real world.

In mine, Indonesia invaded Sarawak pushing north and west with landings on the Malay peninsula which were rapidly repulsed. When an overambitious General landed on islands belonging to the Philippines causing a great loss of civilian life in the process, the UN started to take notice and issued a directive allowing the full weight of the commonwealth to be brought to bear. From the north British and Malay troops retook the territory lost on the Island of Borneo pushing south into Indonesian territory to remove the chance to organise a fight back from the bases present there. In the West, ANZAAC troops took over the territory of West Papua finding horrendous atrocities had been committed by the troops of Sukharno against the indigenous peoples, whilst in the west, Indian and South African troops launched an invasion from two flotillas based around newly acquired aircraft carriers. The conflict came to a swift conclusion and resulted in the creation of the Federated States of Malaysia and a UN peacekeeping force in Western Papua.

Despite the guarantees made to its sovereignty, Brunei retained a deep seated fear that in time, Indonesia would return to its warlike ways. As a result, invited Britain into a mutual defence pact whereby the oil rich kingdom would buy the equipment and pay for the maintenance whilst Britain would provide the necessary active servicemen and the units remaining within the command structure of the various British services. This led to the formation of several flights based within the country, starting with two and rising by the time of the second Indonesian invasion to eight. Two dedicated to ground attack, two to air defence, two to maritime services, one to transport and one, rather uniquely, to flight refuelling. Due to the proximity of the US forces stationed in the Pacific, it was not unusual for the flights to be armed with american ordinance as it was often easier to acquire quickly.

In the 1970's Flight 2749 was formed after an unprecedented number of pirate attacks occurred on merchant shipping in the South China sea. When formed the unit was equipped with six Hunter FGA.54's which were based on the T.7 but incorporated upgrades from the RAF's FGA.9 and the ability to carry guided bombs such as the GBU-8 HOBOS, bought from the American military after the Vietnam war. After a brief, disastrous flirtation with Soviet hardware in the form of the Su-22, it was decided to purchase 6 F/A-18's of which two would be twin seaters. Since production had switched to the C/D variants, the order was piggy-backed onto the USN/USM order to take advantage of a lower unit cost. The first aircraft was delivered in 1989 along with a limited number of Harpoon anti-shipping missiles. Something considered essential after the Mavericks used during the Second Indonesian Conflict didn't cause as much damage as first hoped.

Since they were technically in the service of the RAF, the aircraft became known as the Yellowjacket FRS.1 and was initially painted in and all over EDSG with a black radome. The continuation of the flight had been in question in the early 80's, as the RAF had considered ending the arrangement and handing them over to the Brunei forces in their entirety. However, the second invasion by Indonesia, coupled with the expansionist policy of communist China in the South China sea, persuaded policy makers against such a move. This decision was questioned at the time, but exonerated when the civil war in Indonesia spilled over its borders as the country fractured in the wake of its defeat.

So, on with the build!

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 2

Jet intake decals on and managed to attach the wing tanks, targeting pods and Mavericks after the below photo was taken, only to drop it and the centreline tank and a pen undercarriage door to ping off. Thankfully I recovered them! Also discovered my 1/144 roundals aren't suitable for the time period so a have bought some new ones from hannants. Last little tidying and she'll be done!

495F9833-7762-4ACF-8ADE-D31822A376F1_zps

• Like 1

Cheers, a little monotone but fits the era and hopefully the next build will address this a little....

The FRS.1 now proudly sports all the necessary decals until the roundels arrive this week.

1D9B7349-6CF0-462D-AFF8-411B2CEDA959_zps

So with this in mind and as a natural progression, I'm making a start on its replacement. Story to follow!

B9B48E32-E36B-448B-8026-8F8E9849467B_zps

Yellowjacket FA.2

In 2001 RAFSEAC reviewed the aircraft under their command based in Brunei. Whilst having no direct control over the procurement process, they were at least able to indicate when they believed replacements were required and were allowed to indicate what would be required from whatever was purchased. Since servicing was carried out in good but basic airfields, the top brass in the Brunei military preferred low maintenance craft to reduce the reliance on a long supply chains. However, since Australia had a local production agreement for the F/A-18 Hornet, it was decided that this would reduce the risk of a delays in part replacement. When in 2002 it was decided to replace the FRS.1 Yellowjacket, the natural progression was to move on to the Super Hornet which would be known as the FA.2 Yellowjacket. Although there was the option to upgrade the existing aircraft, the increase in range and payload was too good an oppertunity to pass. Other aircraft were also considered, including the FRS.3 Falcon, SU-24, Rafale and HAL Tejas, but all dropped out for a variety of reasons.

In service with the BrAF/RAF, the FA.2 is able to carry a wide variety of Commonwealth and American weaponary and, unlike the FRS.1, is able to be re-fueled by the countries two VC-10 K3's extending its range even further. Since the flight is involved with the multi-country anti-piracy initiative, this increase in range has been seen as a great boon for service and in conjunction with Harriers in the Singapore Navy, were able to take out several previously well established bases of operation. For such a small country, Brunei's military is extremely well armed due to the threat from Indonesia in the south (much reduced since the country split apart), China in the north and the constant threat of pirates, keen to attack the many oil tankers that ply their trade through the South China Sea. As a result it is not unknown for the Commonwealth and America to offer more advanced equipment than may be an option elsewhere due to the need to punch above its weight. This has lead to 2749's craft having the capability to carry the latest versions of the Harpoon and HARM missiles. The SEAD role was previously covered by the various RAF Squadrons that were rotated to out to SEAC, but after it was discovered that the more established pirate groups were acquiring radar to give them advance warning of potential attacks, Military chiefs decided that this would be an area that needed to be addressed.

In a break with what seems to be military convention, the flight have moved from a single shade of low vis grey to a disruptive scheme once again after it was realised that this often made it harder for the aircraft to be observed at low level over the sea.

Progress to report. The decals turned up yesterday allowing me to finish the FRS.1, hurrah!

BE626F28-002B-44D2-A050-350D557FE249_zps

More pics in the Gallery.

On the downside, the FA.2 has suffered a painting mishap and the finish is all pitty. Not sure if I was too close when I sprayed or what, but hoping that judicious sanding will let me recover it. Failing that I have an extra kit I'm pinching bits off as and when needed...

126DFA4F-7218-4BBA-871E-3480BB4FD831_zps

• Like 3

Lovely work on the FRS.1

Sorry to see the paint is causing problems for the FA.2 - looks to me as if there has been something contaminated it while spraying :(

Sadly I think so, whilst sanding back I lost way too much detail so I decided to start again. Thankfully I have a spare in the form of an EA-18 Growler which is being sacrificed for the cause. I was unsure what to do with it anyway as it's donating parts to something else. Just removed that parts I need and recovered some stuff from the other build.

Watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...

So after the nightmare of the paint devouring the last FA.2, I have managed to cobble together the remains with the EA-18 I had in the stash, and this is where we are now...

43C85161-4738-4D73-A799-B7B4C0812046_zps

Sadly the lack of British ordnance in this scale precludes me giving it Sea Eagles as I hoped, but she will be toting some ASRAAMs to keep the British end up. Still undecided whether to grey out the nose cone or not.

Nice to see you're created an FA.2 regardless of the paint trying to kill the first one. No chance you can modify those Harpoons with new fins and an intake to represent the Sea Eagles?

Easier said than done sadly. The Sea eagles longer and larger as well as the ramjet so it's a work up on something this small. That said, the RAF did use the Harpoon for a while, though I think that was in the Nimrod rather than smaller planes. If someone produced a British 1/144 weapons set, life would be much easier. I know GWH do/plan a shrunk version of the Hasegawa European set but not sure it'd arrive in time so the ASRAAMs are converted Sidewinders too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...