1/32nd Tamiya `Birdcage' Corsair as a Fleet Air Arm Mk.I.-FINISHED!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve been tinkering about constructing the main undercarriage legs, tailwheel and masking off the clear parts lately but this morning I got the first paint onto the model! I`ve decided to brush on the Sky undersides first using Polly Scale Acrylic and then when that is dry after 3 or 4 coats it will be time to mask it off and apply the upper surfaces. Here is the job so far;

DSCF6275.jpg

DSCF6277_zpsbj46xbhe.jpg

and here is a close up of the undercarriage legs and tail wheel assembly part painted;

DSCF6280.jpg

So maybe I`ll get started on the next paint in a couple of day,

Cheers for now

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Cheers Gremlin,

Here is a view of the other side showing the wavy demarcation as per the real aircraft;

DSCF6290_zpsoy648vgd.jpg

And guess who`s been fighting,.......?

DSCF5542_zpswt0vxkf3.jpg

You should see the state of the other bloke!! It was a lucky bite!

She`s called Fudge and she`s had a small chunk of the tip of her ear bitten off,.......did it bleed or what! She was attacked (again,...she was almost killed by a huge Bull Mastiff last year which threw her around like a rag doll!) but this time she was able to put up a good fight!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

What was the saying Tony: "It's not the size of the dog in the fight but size of the fight in the dog". Poor old Fudge looks rather "badly bent" at the moment though :)

Thats very true and a saying that I strongly believe in!

I`ve taken off the tape headband that the vet put on and although the end of her ear has been shaved and the wound superglued she looks much happier now,......although a little lop sided!

Cheers

Tony

Poor Fudge, I hope she's feeling better. You should buy her a spiky collar, then with the tip of an ear missing also she'll look well 'ard and the other dogs might leave her alone.

The Corsair is looking good, I can't believe you can achieve such good results so quicky, it must be something to do with having to meet deadlines for magazine article etc.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Cheers Cee`s, glad you like it!

Having checked as many photos that I could find it appears that most decal instructions and painting guides are wrong for British Corsairs, especially when it comes to the camouflage pattern on the right wing! Even the colour guide in Dana Bell`s otherwise excellent Corsair Vol.2 book has the colours transposed and is missing a section of camouflage on the right hand fuselage side!

See if you can guess which colour I went for for the Olive Drab colour!

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edit- I`ve just realised that the pics that I took don`t show the underside colour,....I`ll take another!

I know what you mean about colour painting guides, I noticed that too. Is it the Xtracylix O/D in the top right corner that you've used?

Looks beautifully crisp, I'm looking forward to you getting the decals on!

• Like 1

Hiya Nick,

Your Corsair is coming on a treat too mate! I actually decided upon using the Polly Scale Dark Slate Grey and I`m quite happy with how it has turned out. I tried it out first on a couple of 1/72nd scale Corsairs which I`m building alongside this one.

Just added the final coat of paint now and started on detail painting and assembling the undercarriage,

Cheers

Tony

Last update for the day,......here are the undercarriage parts and flaps;

DSCF6299.jpg

A close up of the wheels including the info panels attached to the rear of each main leg;

DSCF6304_zpsjwu1x4fk.jpg

While this was being done the model received a single brushed coat of Humbrol enamel gloss varnish, ready for the decals;

DSCF6307.jpg

And here is the model with the undercarriage, flaps, propeller etc all test fitted into place;

DSCF6310_zps8obfgy27.jpg

With a bit of luck I`ll get the decals on tonight!

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Looking great.

But more of a point, how's Fudge?!

[incidentally, what do you use for your pre-transfer gloss coat? That is seriously GLOSSY]

Cheers,.......yes Fudge is OK,.......she has a big blob of hard super glue at the end of her ear holding the wound together and the area around it has been shaved but apart from that she`s fine!

The gloss that I use is Humbrol enamel 35 gloss varnish, applied with a flat wide brush. I use the larger tins as I find these give a glossier finish and the Humbrol varnish sold in the bottles just sinks into the paint and is useless!

All the best

Tony

Cheers Gremlin,

Here is a view of the other side showing the wavy demarcation as per the real aircraft;

And guess who`s been fighting,.......?

You should see the state of the other bloke!! It was a lucky bite!

She`s called Fudge and she`s had a small chunk of the tip of her ear bitten off,.......did it bleed or what! She was attacked (again,...she was almost killed by a huge Bull Mastiff last year which threw her around like a rag doll!) but this time she was able to put up a good fight!

Cheers

Tony

Hoping Fudge is recovering! Hope the other owner got a work over!

B&G

Hoping Fudge is recovering! Hope the other owner got a work over!

B&G

Hiya Bill,

This time it wasn`t really the other owners fault,...both dogs know each other but the other dog just had a grump and set about Fudge so Fudge laid back into it in her defence causing blood and fur to fly on both sides! The other dog just got a lucky bite in and nicked her ear. I wasn`t there but Alison did give the offending dog a `tap' up the bottom with her boot to help break it up,....unlike last time when the `monster dog' knocked Alison over to get to Fudge and then tried to rip Fudge to pieces despite three people kicking it in the head.

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

I managed to get the decals on today and cut up the Eagle Editions decals to make the outlined style codes sported by JT160.;

DSCF6312.jpg

DSCF6315.jpg

So at least it looks like Sub. Lt. Raymond Knott`s JT160 now,

Cheers

Tony

PS- Meant to say that the real JT160 appears to have those blue coloured tapes around the furward fuselage so I`ve applied white ones from the decals to act as a guide for the blue ones which I`ll paint on. Also the white square on the wing will be a yellow/mustard anti gas patch.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

Looking great Tony, i'm hoping to do the FAA museum Corsair sometime using Tamiya kit,

Dave

If you can get the paint to look right, there will be some serious respect; v complex as she now is post-restoration

Aw thanks fellas,

Glad you like it so far and the Yeovilton Corsair is an excellent choice of subject Dave,.....at least you live close enough for regular visits to size up the weathering! Please say hello to your Dad for me?

Here is the latest update,....I`ve brushed on some Aeromaster flat varnish today and opened up some of the panel lines ready to receive a watercolour wash tonight;

DSCF6318.jpg

DSCF6321_zpsdny2ef2h.jpg

DSCF6324_zpsftd0ke2i.jpg

I`m really enjoying this model,....so what was I scared of? I can feel a few more Tamiya 1/32nd scale kits coming along soon,

Cheers for now,

Tony

PS- From photo`s and film of the subject aircraft it appears that British Corsairs based in the USA had blue tape or doped fabric covering the panel lines in front of the cockpit and possibly had silver tape or doped fabric over the gun ports,.....so the former were represented using white decal which was roughly painted using US Intermediate Sea Blue and the gun ports were covered using silver painted Tamiya tape. Most, if not all Corsair Mk.I`s appear not to have the vents fitted into the rear fuselage as seen on later versions.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7