Trumpeter King Tiger - Long Term Build

Marty

Hi all :thumbsup:

This is the start of what will in all probability be a very long blog. I bought the Trumpeter King Tiger when it first came out and have been itching to make a start ever since. I recently bought another one off evilbay as it contained a lot of the extra parts I've been looking at adding. It's also the Porsche turret version, which appeals a bit more than the Henschel turret.

The second one had been started but only a few parts had been glued in place and the ejector pin marks had been filled in on the hull floor/sponsons. All done to a good standard too :)

This will be something I dip in and out of in between other builds, otherwise I'll burn out and get fed up if I try to complete this any other way..! So far I've been cleaning up the roadwheels, suspension parts and getting to grips with the road ahead.

Here's progress so far;

93319EBE-0DD3-4D2A-AF74-2A71AA271AB9_zps

Not a lot to show here. The sidewalls of the interior aren't glued in place as yet - lots of work to do on those, removing bits etc before committing to glue.

Hope you all find this an enjoyable blog :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Nice kick-off Marty,

good luck with what should be a fantastic blog :winkgrin:

Thanks..!

Will be following along too. Good to see another one being built :popcorn:

Cheers Matt, and thanks to you for your blog, very inspirational :)

• 1 month later...

Veeerrrrrryyyyyy slow progress, but after completion of my 1:32 He111 I've started to get a little time on this. Lots of parts clean up, particularly the roadwheels and suspension parts, of which seem to be endless..!

I'm following David Parkers build in his excellent book - highly recommended reading btw - so preparing the two sides of the inner superstructure by removing basic moulded in details;

Before, with pencil hatching on parts to remove;

fe0abb66-4624-4e65-b8f3-6acda35e1ae5_zps

Then post hacking;

6bd8bc2c-f8f6-4010-bed9-7125b0331c32_zps

And couldn't resist a bit of dry fitting of the larger internal bulkheads etc;

16D8CC02-B02D-432A-8693-708C0CDD4F3A_zps

I have to say I'm enjoying this so far. A LOT of stuff to do but as a back burner project it's not too onerous :mental:

• Like 1

Veeerrrrrryyyyyy slow progress, but after completion of my 1:32 He111 I've started to get a little time on this. Lots of parts clean up, particularly the roadwheels and suspension parts, of which seem to be endless..!

I'm following David Parkers build in his excellent book - highly recommended reading btw - so preparing the two sides of the inner superstructure by removing basic moulded in details;

Before, with pencil hatching on parts to remove;

fe0abb66-4624-4e65-b8f3-6acda35e1ae5_zps

Then post hacking;

6bd8bc2c-f8f6-4010-bed9-7125b0331c32_zps

And couldn't resist a bit of dry fitting of the larger internal bulkheads etc;

16D8CC02-B02D-432A-8693-708C0CDD4F3A_zps

I have to say I'm enjoying this so far. A LOT of stuff to do but as a back burner project it's not too onerous :mental:

Nice work Marty, i find it rather intimidating to go chopping up what is a quite expensive kit but you are doing a great job here :yikes:

I agree that these large scale tanks are builds to take slowly to avoid burning out on the project. :winkgrin:

Nice work Marty, i find it rather intimidating to go chopping up what is a quite expensive kit but you are doing a great job here :yikes:

I agree that these large scale tanks are builds to take slowly to avoid burning out on the project. :winkgrin:

Thanks..! Must admit I feel a bit of a fraud just following David Parkers detailing steps, but then it's not like he's doing the build for me lol :bye:

• Like 1

Thanks..! Must admit I feel a bit of a fraud just following David Parkers detailing steps, but then it's not like he's doing the build for me lol :bye:

That is the big question really though isn't it, well, at least for me at the moment. How many David Parker IV-H clones do you expect to see? Where to follow the improvements and where to follow your own road is a rather vexing situation to be in. All the more reason to proceed slowly at the moment :whistle::wicked::hmmm:

That is the big question really though isn't it, well, at least for me at the moment. How many David Parker IV-H clones do you expect to see? Where to follow the improvements and where to follow your own road is a rather vexing situation to be in. All the more reason to proceed slowly at the moment :whistle::wicked::hmmm:

I don't see copies of his work as being a bad thing. It's fab that he shares his hard work and research, regardless of it being his 'job'. His book isn't just a collection of well photographed views of a stunning build, that he takes the time to explain how he's done something and encourages you to copy what he's done is quite refreshing.

I'll not be producing a carbon copy of his build, but will add or remove what I feel, as I go through it. I don't feel it's as daunting a task as it could be though.

• Like 1

I don't see copies of his work as being a bad thing. It's fab that he shares his hard work and research, regardless of it being his 'job'. His book isn't just a collection of well photographed views of a stunning build, that he takes the time to explain how he's done something and encourages you to copy what he's done is quite refreshing.

I'll not be producing a carbon copy of his build, but will add or remove what I feel, as I go through it. I don't feel it's as daunting a task as it could be though.

Didn't imply that you were making a carbon copy Marty, just explaining that I am trying to find my own route through this build :)

Didn't imply that you were making a carbon copy Marty, just explaining that I am trying to find my own route through this build :)

Yeah, sorry think my meaning came across slightly wrong - I wasn't implying you were at all.

But, If only I could make a carbon copy..! I'd be very happy with that lol

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry think my meaning came across slightly wrong - I wasn't implying you were at all.

But, If only I could make a carbon copy..! I'd be very happy with that lol

I know what you mean, David puts down a rock steady build doesn't he? :winkgrin: